Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sonora Rally  (Read 424 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Sonora Rally
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:07 pm »
Boys 'n girls, this one will be a really good one. Bikes & cars. Given you can rent bikes, it might also be one of the cheapest.

So who is going?  ::)  :ricky:

http://sonorarally.com/index.html

TRUE RALLY RAID
This year’s rally will start in San Luis Rio Colorado and bivouac in the towns of El Golfo and Puerto Lobos, and will finish for the first time in Bahia Kino, making the 2018 edition a genuine point to point rally raid. Sonora Rally stays true to its’ roots of HP navigation through the largest dune system in North America while discovering never raced trails in the Sonoran backcountry.

Following the prologue, Sonora Rally racers will tackle 1000km of special stages over 4 days. Stage one will be a nice combination of dunes and trails from San Luis to El Golfo. Stage two will be the Dunes Loop starting in and finishing in El Golfo. Stage three is the longest stage of the rally taking us to a true remote camping bivouac. Stage four is all new terrain. This short special stage has stunning scenery and trails that are a true racer’s dream.

For those racers who stay in the Sonora Rally bivouac each night, the camping and work areas are secure with spectacular land and seascapes. As in past years, Aventura Travel will curate the bivouac meal packages, with stylized menus from local chefs, regional craft beer and wine from Valle Guadalupe in Baja. The host towns have limited hotel options, so book early if you need accommodations.

EARLY REGISTRATION: Sunday afternoon will be set up for early registration, (no tech, paperwork only), in order to accommodate a PROLOGUE on Monday, following tech inspection.  The Prologue will consist of a 27km warm up stage around San Luis, where racers can shake out last minute issues and practice navigation and HP. The Tuesday morning start order will be determined by the Monday prologue finishing order.

SERI INDIAN CULTURE:  “One of the things I’ve enjoyed most about racing the Dakar and other international rallies,” says Darren Skilton, “has been the experience of meeting with and becoming a part of isolated cultures that you would have never, otherwise, come across. This cultural exchange is one thing that makes rally racing so special”.

At this year finish line, Sonora Rally competitors will be introduced to the Seri Indian tribe. The Seris are an  indigenous tribe with their own language and culture.  Throughout history they were known as fierce warriors, standing up against subjugation from the Spanish, and they still paint their faces as such on celebration days today. They are talented craftspeople making beautiful woven baskets, shell jewelry and Palo Fiero  (iron wood) carvings, of which our trophies are made. We are excited for this years Sonora Rally competitors, crews and volunteers to have this unique social exchange.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:37:34 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
Re: Sonora Rally
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:48:37 am »
no one interested? :dontknow:

I guess it is quite far :P
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Scrat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:07 am »

Hey - always interested    :ricky: :ricky:
But no sponsors?  you sponsoring  :pot: :pot:

Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 10:47:15 am »
Thanks BB . . .
Should be fun to follow once again !

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »

Hey - always interested    :ricky: :ricky:
But no sponsors?  you sponsoring  :pot: :pot:

I was kinda hoping you would be sponsoring me! ;D

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:01:10 am »
Day 1

https://www.facebook.com/rallysonora/videos/2018626015130413/

Rally Day One San Luis to El Golfo - Dunes!!!

Sonora Rally is a challenging event. Rally Director Darren Skilton and his team create daily courses that mimic the Dakar Rally. "We tried to ease them into the dunes, so we added some new terrain but also made the end of the stage navigation very tricky. Its always hard the first day in the dunes. You have to switch your brain around and think differently to be successful. We are proud of the stage, there were a lot of challenge in a short distance, with a lot of tricks. It was a real stage with fast roads, sand dunes and coastal beaches" says Skilton.

In the car category the Jergensen buggy was the fastest time today beating out last years winner Erik Pucelik by about 8 minutes. "We made one small mistake that cost us the win today, but we will be back tomorrow for the fight! Sonora rally is a great race. Take the very BEST five miles of the Baja 500 or San Felipe 250 and put it over here in Sonora ... that's the entire terrain each day ... its the entire race" says Pucelik.

Dakar veteran navigator Kellon Walch was third in the car category today and despite extensive Dakar dune experience, he was in awe of the massive Sonoran dunes. "Today was pretty gnarly. Some soft dunes and some gnarly steep downhills. You really had to work your way around it" says Walch.

Meanwhile Monster Energy racer Casey Currie was pushed out of his comfort zone being new to navigation and rally raid. However he embraced the challenge with enthusiasm and excitement, trusting his navigator Tucker Conroy to guide them to the finish line. "Sonora Rally is unbelievable. I have never been on the main land side ...  To experience sand dunes way way way taller than Glamis, while learning a new task and style of racing, I am totally hooked. The idea is for me and my team to tackle Dakar in 2019. Talking to everyone at ASO and other teams around the world, they all recommended that I come here. I am studying every day, learning as much as i can so that when we go to Dakar, we will be ready." says Currie.

First time Sonora Rally entry Skyler Howes made a big impression in the bike class finishing first overall and first in the "Road to Dakar" challenge. Garrett Poucher came in second followed by newcomer George LaMonte who was third and Mexico's Carlos Gracida who finished fourth.

In the Safari class, Yokohama's Melissa Eickhoff and Sydney Olsen had quite the adventure. Sydney was shocked at the size of the dunes and the way their Jeep Wrangler made it through. "The big moment today was when we got to WP 49. We couldn't go straight up like everyone else, and had to make our way around the dunes, and at one point we were 6 km away from the waypoint. But bit by bit we picked our way through and found it. The "beeps" become an addiction. Once we got it we were really proud of ourselves. We found our own way, not following anyone's tracks, and setting our own course. I'm really proud of my navigator, Sydney, she's a girl who is not often pushed out of her comfort zone. Today she was definitely uncomfortable but at the same time embraced it fully and navigated like a pro", says Eickhoff.

Day two of the Sonora Rally will be 151 km on the "Road to Dune" Highway. There will be more tricky navigation challenges coming at the competitors. "These are the largest dunes in North America. Today's stage will be the toughest of the rally and will hold the longest HP section, which includes a 23 km single heading with no WP's. It will be spectacularly beautiful but it will be the most difficult to navigate. Today will be the day where we see if the most experienced riders and drivers can shine through." says Rally Director Darren Skilton.