Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: EXPLANATION OF LC SUSPENSION (IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER ENQUIRY)  (Read 959 times)

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
EXPLANATION OF LC SUSPENSION (IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER ENQUIRY)
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:23 pm »
SO a little bit of info on the shocks on the LC.

If you have a leaking shock (not forks - they often carry the same name amongst some) then you have a problem - the same goes for the rear.

BMW Dealers (all of them) are not qualified to strip or repair these - they will simply quote on replacement - which is well and funky if your bike is still under warranty - but at R38 880.00 for a rear shock and R27K odd for the front one - this is for the complete shocks as there are no spares available for the repair there-of. Also what a lot of people do not know is that you cannot buy parts for this suspension from BMW, they only offer the whole shock, the same goes for the previous aircooled BMW ESA models.

That brings you to yours truly - I am fortunate enough to be the only person in the country that has the replacement seal heads for the LC (not just GS but all BMW LC bikes) The seal head in layman's terms is the piston that goes up and down the shock cylinder at a mega rate - this is what seems to be wearing and causing the failure. In other shocks - one would get away with replacing the seals that these "pistons" use and the shock will work (sometimes) THIS IS NOT the case with the LC shock seal heads - the seal head MUST be replaced. I have now five LC shocks that I have had to re-do the repairs on because of shortcuts. Two of these were rendered useless because the cylinder had worn internally and was hence useless. I had to purchase complete shocks to use the cylinders to repair them at a cost of R7K each - so be warned,
Because of WILBERS SUSPENSION AG's close involvement with BMW and more so their technical partnership with SACHS they are the only suspension company that carry the replacement seal heads for the LC shocks. Of course since I am the sole Importer for Africa for WILBERS I am the lucky bugger to have these seal heads in stock.
If you have a leaky shock and take it into BMW make sure it gets to Bling King Motorcycles to get repaired properly!!!!

sales@blingkingbikes.co.za or 011 234 8161 or 082 450 8878
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:05:54 am by BlingKing »
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Our quality is our key!

The following users thanked this post: Dustbin Dog, R4C3

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
Re: EXPLANATION OF LC SUSPENSION (IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER ENQUIRY)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:09:13 pm »
 :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:19:50 am »
Greetings Folks,

Bling Kings tip of the day!

If you have an ESA bike, both LC and Aircooled, make sure that when you change settings form one to two helmets or any other pre-load settings, it will better for your ESA motor workings if you do it with your butts off the bike. Maybe before your pillion gets on and put the weight on your feet as well.
I am doing quite a few repairs where the chrome has come off the pre-load sleeve due to it moving unevenly. Taking your weight off will help it a lot and help reduce wear.
I guess this is a nice way of saying if your pillion weighs in at 140Kg and cannot keep his/her fat ass still, they must "step away from the vehicle"  :deal:
Our quality is our key!

The following users thanked this post: GSLaaitie, Bravofox, R4C3

Offline Donniepat

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
My 2014 GS LC front shock started leaking, ( Apparently the GS is not an enduro machine  ;) I did the whole exercise of phoning BMW and as Denver mentioned - they only offer a complete replacement unit at a shocking cost. He replaced all the worn parts at a fraction of the cost and managed to service the rear unit as well. I also had the fork tube seals replaced while everything was serviced. I can highly recommend Bling King !!! My fat girl is back in the game. Thanx a million for the service !
2014 BMW R1200GS LC
2000 Aprillia RS250 MKII
1985 Suzuki GSXR750 Preslingshot
1991 Suzuki GSXR1100M Slingshot

The following users thanked this post: BlingKing

Offline Bravofox

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:29:45 am »
Greetings Folks,

If you have an ESA bike, both LC and Aircooled, make sure that when you change settings form one to two helmets or any other pre-load settings, it will better for your ESA motor workings if you do it with your butts off the bike. Maybe before your pillion gets on and put the weight on your feet as well.
I am doing quite a few repairs where the chrome has come off the pre-load sleeve due to it moving unevenly. Taking your weight off will help it a lot and help reduce wear.
I guess this is a nice way of saying if your pillion weighs in at 140Kg and cannot keep his/her fat ass still, they must "step away from the vehicle"  :deal:
Great tip! I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend with my new GS when my wife got on and I raised it too the MAX setting. Should be easier on the motor and sleeves with no loaded weight on it. The thing is, the AUTO mode will adjust whenever it likes and that is why I don't like the AUTO for this reason. The newer models hav MAX, MIN and AUTO. Would have preferred if it also had a MED setting...
Another thing I noticed this weekend is the dirt sticking to the exposed, greased sleeve which I do not like at all. Was thinking of maybe wiping it down and apply a drylube spray or something...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:32:47 am by Bravofox »

Offline BlingKing

• Vendors
  • I will suspend you!
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »
Greetings Folks,

Great tip! I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend with my new GS when my wife got on and I raised it too the MAX setting. Should be easier on the motor and sleeves with no loaded weight on it. The thing is, the AUTO mode will adjust whenever it likes and that is why I don't like the AUTO for this reason. The newer models hav MAX, MIN and AUTO. Would have preferred if it also had a MED setting...
Another thing I noticed this weekend is the dirt sticking to the exposed, greased sleeve which I do not like at all. Was thinking of maybe wiping it down and apply a drylube spray or something...

That bit (pictured) of the moving parts doesn't really suffer in the movements in the ones we have stripped, the dirt you see does get wiped off by the seal above it when it compresses in again.
There is a chromed sleeve inside of that takes the strain (pictured above). Unless it has an even traverse it suffers wear and the chroming wears and eventually rusts and pops the seals. Fortunately we are the one garage that can service and rebuild them but just the chrome work alone costs us R700 - but at least it beats buying a whole new shock at R38K as none of the shocks parts are available as separate items from BMW.
So whilst we love the business - take the load off the shock!!!
Our quality is our key!

The following users thanked this post: Bravofox