EXPLANATION OF LC SUSPENSION (IN RESPONSE TO ANOTHER ENQUIRY)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlingKing

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
SO a little bit of info on the shocks on the LC.

If you have a leaking shock (not forks - they often carry the same name amongst some) then you have a problem - the same goes for the rear.

BMW Dealers (all of them) are not qualified to strip or repair these - they will simply quote on replacement - which is well and funky if your bike is still under warranty - but at R38 880.00 for a rear shock and R27K odd for the front one - this is for the complete shocks as there are no spares available for the repair there-of. Also what a lot of people do not know is that you cannot buy parts for this suspension from BMW, they only offer the whole shock, the same goes for the previous aircooled BMW ESA models.

That brings you to yours truly - I am fortunate enough to be the only person in the country that has the replacement seal heads for the LC (not just GS but all BMW LC bikes) The seal head in layman's terms is the piston that goes up and down the shock cylinder at a mega rate - this is what seems to be wearing and causing the failure. In other shocks - one would get away with replacing the seals that these "pistons" use and the shock will work (sometimes) THIS IS NOT the case with the LC shock seal heads - the seal head MUST be replaced. I have now five LC shocks that I have had to re-do the repairs on because of shortcuts. Two of these were rendered useless because the cylinder had worn internally and was hence useless. I had to purchase complete shocks to use the cylinders to repair them at a cost of R7K each - so be warned,
Because of WILBERS SUSPENSION AG's close involvement with BMW and more so their technical partnership with SACHS they are the only suspension company that carry the replacement seal heads for the LC shocks. Of course since I am the sole Importer for Africa for WILBERS I am the lucky bugger to have these seal heads in stock.
If you have a leaky shock and take it into BMW make sure it gets to Bling King Motorcycles to get repaired properly!!!!

[email protected] or 011 234 8161 or 082 450 8878

Attachments

• GS LC OEM SHOCK EDIT.jpg
    GS LC OEM SHOCK EDIT.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 513