Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kalahari Rally  (Read 8313 times)

Offline noble steed

Re: Kalahari Rally
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
It's life changing. Well it was for me anyway. The downer after a rally was unexpected. It's months of planning, bike prep, training, then the race and suddenly it's over and then... nothing. Adjusting back to reality was weird. One day I was on a special, having issues and struggling, a day later I was in a suit at a fancy wedding in Camps Bay feeling like I'd been transported into an alien world

I can relate, even if I only managed 1 day of rally... The whole year is spent prepping, riding every free minute, nights in garage building, testing and rebuilding, and then suddenly you trailer home, back at work and nothing to do...

Would love to do it again, but for now will have to be a dream, and just follow the Rally on-line.

Offline Buff

« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2018, 11:22:20 am »
Lyndon appears to be having a nightmare of a day with navigation where Ross is styling. Something doesn't add up, he's making silly turns all over the place. I wonder if he has the right roadbook loaded or if it's playing up?
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2018, 11:36:15 am »
How is Roger K-B doing?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline RyanI

« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2018, 12:09:05 pm »
How is Roger K-B doing?

Came through second check point in 6th
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline RyanI

« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »
Lyndon appears to be having a nightmare of a day with navigation where Ross is styling. Something doesn't add up, he's making silly turns all over the place. I wonder if he has the right roadbook loaded or if it's playing up?

Looks like it has cost him dearly. He was 2min faster at CP1, 3min faster at CP2, then 7min slower at CP3.
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »
Its what I love about rally.You don't have to be the fastest to do well but its also all yours to lose and that can happen so quickly.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline RyanI

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:39 pm »
I cant help but wonder what it is like to be the last oke out there, maybe two thirds of the way through the special and a loooong way still to go. And that after probably two very long days prior.
Must be very lonely.

BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
Its what I love about rally.You don't have to be the fastest to do well but its also all yours to lose and that can happen so quickly.

I was first on the road after starting mid 20s because I marked the crap out of a +-V track and got it right while the others got it wrong. It was a glorious few minutes until they came flying past me again
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Serf

« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2018, 05:27:59 pm »
I cant help but wonder what it is like to be the last oke out there, maybe two thirds of the way through the special and a loooong way still to go. And that after probably two very long days prior.
Must be very lonely.
At least he is out there riding, lonely or not

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2018, 07:57:58 am »
Last day.

Seems like this rally has been taking it's toll on people. Got this via a whatsapp group:

The guy camping next to us, no. 26 Johan van Wyk, had a bad crash yesterday into a barbed wire fence and badly cut his wrist open on the wire. He is okay but his bike is seized up. He and his crew drove to Jo’burg last night to get his other bike, a Husky 501. It’s not a rally bike and doesn’t have roadbook/nav capabilities. He needs to follow someone through the course in order to finish, so is going to follow Willem Avenant.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Buff

« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2018, 09:39:52 am »
Hectic stuff  :o

This rally certainly has taken it's toll. Even Lyndon looks properly broken last night... not to mention Basil Bike that's finding out that Africa ain't for sissies.

Chuffed my team mate Martin Lourens got 3rd on the stage yesterday. No penalties helped him a lot  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2018, 09:43:26 am »
Just  been told the race organisers decided to give #26 Johan van Wyk the route on the GPS and let him sweep at the back so at least he gets to finish considering his bike died.

Ja looking at how the field is doing I think canceling the second stage yesterday was a good decision in the interest of the event. As the experience builds I hope they'll keep trying to include those long days as the endurance factor really is a big part of rally.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2018, 09:45:07 am »
How does one get overall standing results?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:00 am »
No idea, I couldn't figure that out either.

It looks like today's stage will be over quickly as the lead guys are already some distance into the route.

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2018, 09:50:11 am »
I just wanted to reply about 'changing a vehicle is not allowed' regulation.

I am actually glad that they 'accommodate' the riders.  Hopefully this is going to develop in a great event in the future.

We also talked about the severity of the penalties for a short event compared to Dakar two weeks.  60 minutes for missing a VISIBLE waypoint is almost impossible to recover over a 4 stage event (exclude prolog)  It is only 5 minutes for missing a hidden one.

Let the sport GROW.!!!!!!!

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline RyanI

« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:41 am »
How does one get overall standing results?

What I have figured out is as follows:
Picture 1: Click on this blue colum/button on the far right hand side of the timing screen:
Picture 2: Then you should see this: (I cant find where to see a summayr of days with penalties etc)

BMW850GS (2018)

Offline RyanI

« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:35 am »
What I cant figure out is how to go back and see previous days results. Many guys on facebook post this but the resolution is so kak that it cant be ready easily.

Anyone have a better idea?
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:59 am »
I just wanted to reply about 'changing a vehicle is not allowed' regulation.

I am actually glad that they 'accommodate' the riders.  Hopefully this is going to develop in a great event in the future.

We also talked about the severity of the penalties for a short event compared to Dakar two weeks.  60 minutes for missing a VISIBLE waypoint is almost impossible to recover over a 4 stage event (exclude prolog)  It is only 5 minutes for missing a hidden one.

Let the sport GROW.!!!!!!!

Adie

Yes Adie I agree hopefully this can grow.

On the penalties I concur, make them relevant to the overall time available in the event.

Offline RyanI

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:34 am »
Where is RKB going?
Lyndon and Ross hunting down the guys in front.
Brilliant stuff
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:44 am »
What I cant figure out is how to go back and see previous days results. Many guys on facebook post this but the resolution is so kak that it cant be ready easily.

Anyone have a better idea?

Maybe those are from the notifications posted on the kalahari rally website? Or maybe there is an app?