Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WFO "Blast from the Past" class Mid Illovo Sat 17/2/2018  (Read 512 times)

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
    • View Profile
WFO "Blast from the Past" class Mid Illovo Sat 17/2/2018
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:43 pm »
Stuart Joyner has just told me there are some of us old timers coming to the enduro on Saturday, no licence, R150 and a braai and chat afterwards. About as much as I know so far. Expect Andrew Kean, Stuart Joyner, Greg English
Rule #12// The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
Re: WFO "Blast from the Past" class Mid Illovo Sat 17/2/2018
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:03 pm »
Now know this will be called the "Legends" class. I have entered online at the WFO web page @ R150eft . We will be leaving after the A div and Clubman classes have left around 10.30am and we will carry transponders so they know where we are. 
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:21:44 am »
Looks like it is going to be a wet and slippy Mid Illovo, just like the Baynesfield dirt fest a couple of weeks ago. Whoopee!

The following users thanked this post: Pilchie

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:17:14 pm »
Looks like there are going to be a few of us pensioners there. Jimmy Nel and Peter Burnett are coming but without bikes. Remember what Mike Egan would have told you, no soft cocking lads!

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:13:00 am »
And muddy it was, see the picture of the bike below before the pressure washing. It looked like the weather forecasters may have been wrong and it would just be beautifully damp but an hour before the start the heavens opened and we had a real quagmire.  Doddling up the freeway to the start another rider from Tongaat flashed past me in a new Ford Ranger and new bike. Just as I was thinking what a rush he was in an African woman ran out in front of him, turned out to be a speed cop. Bummer, not even on your start grid and you've already picked up a penalty!

We had a nice group of 12 legends who set off after the last of the proper entries. Something new to to me was a WOW (weekend warrior) class which requires only a R100 day licence which makes it a viable way to try an enduro without burying yourself in immense AAMS costs. We held together for quite a while but gradually split up. Andrew Kean's bike packed up on him and Stuart Joyner manfully towed him home. I rode with Kevin Tebbutt for quite a while but lost him in one of the bottle necks. I really enjoyed it but was getting a bit tired keeping it going in the mud and I wasn't too upset to see the finish coming up. Took me the rest of the afternoon to get the mud out of everything! The WFO club is really well organized at the moment and the Mid Illovo country club always produces great catering.

One thing I noticed is that 10 years of drought have produced a generation of really fast riders who come unstuck on gaining traction uphill in mud and especially in odd places like where you had to pop wet fallen logs going uphill in mud.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:35:55 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:16 am »
Look at that "athlete" with the ciggie in his mouth. :eek7: :pot:

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:12 am »
The "athlete" who actually owns the box of cigarettes is:

Kevin Tebbutt:   . K. Tebbutt. Multiple S.A Off Road Motorcycle Champion - 500cc and over 250cc classes - 1987 and. 1991.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:40:03 am by IanTheTooth »

Online billy-joe

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:54:42 pm »
Looks like fun!  what age group are the Legends in?  50+?
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline CliveG

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:14 pm »
Ian ... You drunk ? That is Kevin De Bruin, from PORC.
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2. Yamaha`BWS100

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline IanTheTooth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:55:46 am »
Thank you Clive, that actually explains a lot! And no, I wasn't drunk at that stage. Billy-Joe; Stuart, Greg, Jimmie, myself and Pete have left 60 behind. Andrew is planning his 60th at the moment. As for the rest of the bald headed old coots, as Clive pointed out, they could be just about any old body of any old age!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:56:44 am by IanTheTooth »

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46:19 pm »
Fantastic to see you guys still going at it!!

Online billy-joe

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:10 pm »
absolutely!  life goals indeed!
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!