West Coast Stormers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
If it wasnâ??t for Tok-tokkie and Antonia, this trip would not have happened. I was simply too p!ssed off. I was working on a house of two sexually confused women. For some insane reason, we could just not get the thing completed, so poor Tok-tokkie and Antonia had to amuse themselves on Thursday night and on Friday morning. Later they took off, hoping to see us somewhere along the road.

They took the road to Aurora and Redelinghuys. From there to Elandsbaai. Tok-tokkie will fill in here. Pics and the story.

Evan and Charlie had support vehicles with them, so we decided to do the same. One vehicle.  Merrycan decided to take the bakkie and play the role of support. To my dismay. Who go on a trip with a stinking diesel bakkie in hot pursuit? Little did we know?

She also offered to take pictures. That was my first mistake. Cannot trust a bitch to know what you need in a trip report.

wcnp24.jpg

wcnp33.jpg

wcnp27.jpg

_MG_6519.jpg

Finally we got the lights and plugs working, the water pumping and everyone smiling. We left just in time to be able to catch up with Tok-tokkie in Elandsbaai.

Seeing him with a Windhoek in his right fist, was just the conviction I needed to see life in a more mature way. To hell with worries and trivial panic. Just as I ordered my second Millers, a couple of Southern Rights did their â??Vâ? shaped announcements some distance out in the ocean. Life is great.

wcnp45.jpg

The light breeze brought the smell of the sea to our grateful souls. Outside Elandsbaai we took the toll road to Lambertsbaai. R20 for a gravel road in a dubious state. In Lambertsbaai we filled up and got rid of the two Millers. Just outside Lambertsbaai we took the road along the railway line to Doringbaai. To our utter shock, we encountered another tollenaar. On his first duty on this new toll road. R25 for an even worse road. Total rip off.

At Strandfontein we pitched our tents and started a fire. We sat and enjoy our first real opportunity to speak to each other. The red wine did a marvellous job to let me forget about the d**s that still has to pay me for work done in February, March and after that.

During the night we got the first glimpses of what was to come. A gush almost flattened my tent. Rain came down as if we are Noah collaborators, waiting for prophecy to come true.

On Saturday we woke up to a glorious day, slightly clouded, but almost windless. I produce my usual magical coffee and Merrycan came up with some home bought rusks. As soon as you could say blou bul eet nie van die grond af nie, the wether changed. Rain and wind in a matter of no time. Almost soaking wet we packed and got going. Luckily we had the bakkie with us.

Like Evan and Charlie, we visited some of the local communities. We were not part of Unesco yet, but what the hell. We waved at the little kids and they waved back. The dogs stormed us and we fled. Papendorp was not a completely enchanting experience, but you cannot always pick magic.

_MG_6514.jpg

At Lutzville we filled up before we entered the big empty. We asked for the road, like true gentlemen and headed for the coast again. Arriving at the coast, you could immediately sense that it is not Durbs. No Nandoâ??s, no Pep. Not even close.

Glorious West Coast at itâ??s best.