Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018  (Read 10381 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2018, 08:10:01 am »
Cracker you are right.

I would be there, but I'm 14,000km away. :(
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Buff

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
I hear you @Cracker, there's a few of us in that boat right now but there's still a lot of guys that have the time & money that are missing out. The Kalahari Rally might be impacting the numbers as well, I know a few guys are rather saving their money for that event but as a  first time event, I think they'd be wiser racing Tankwa. Anyway, I can only speculate but I'll be bitterly disappointed if this race falls off the table next year due to time/cost/effort ratio and the racing community will lose something special. Setting up an event of this magnitude is hugely time consuming and expensive, especially when dealing with rally distances and the current cost of fuel... not to mention bakkie and trailer tires that the Tankwa eats for breakfast  :(
Let's just hope the Offroad guys racing on GPS's keep the flame burning  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:38:45 am by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline saklx650c

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • the wheels turn - nobody home
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:52 am »
I was hoping to get there this year in the Rally class however the availabilty of Husky TE 610 spares has f@##$#$@#@ED that idea. I still don't have a bike - almost a year later. Hopefully next year.   
kl X not R - sold
Husqvarna te610

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2018, 05:47:31 pm »
Just some points from me.
People had a year to book this date, If Rally guys want this they need to support it.... so many said they will be there but one excuse after another, maybe it is too cheap @ 4.75K ???  If wanted we can do five days but not for a few Rally entries.

Off-road classes are ok - this offers more affordable racing, with two Tankwa races dusted, we learnt a lot and fine tuned, has been great & better this this year.

@ Cracker if average speed is over 55km then you are in the David Eliis cat. It is really a wide variety of terrain which most will enjoy.

Otherwise all good  & enjoy
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
Its a tough thing starting a rally in South Africa, with the economy down there is an additional factor. Also don't forget that Namaqua disaster that happened a couple of years back that did nothing good for rally in the country.

Staying power will make this rally a success and I think perhaps a lot of people will be looking to see how it goes and how it is run as the first year. With one successful rally under the belt, next year you will be able to attract more locals riders and international riders as well - I am sure.

Alexander built a great brand that grew quite nicely and now that there is a hole, you have the potential to fill it. All the best guys, and let us know who we can help. :thumleft:
BB real time and Spot are on the cards for next year - for this year  we decided to stay with current system. We have already been in contact with Darryl & Co.                         

A final suggestion from my side would be to allow some real time tracking for the followers and armchair racers. Not sure if its economically feasible and its obviously too late for thus year but something to consider perhaps going forward. These type of things generate big followings and great a lot of noise in social media.
No Road like Off-Road

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2018, 07:59:18 pm »
I spent a lot of money doing the 2014 Amageza but it was worth it. But I, like a lot of others, can't afford it anymore.

If I had the money, for the whole spend, I'd be doing the Tankwa. Looks the perfect fast off-road riding terrain to me, I know what I'm missing out on. ....  :biggrin:

But I don't have the money anymore ..................... and I reckon this depressed economy is taking a lot of players out the game.

Maybe coz I'm poor but I reckon promoting the off-road with a GPS is the way to go here in SA.

But, next year ........ I have to do it. I just have to plan it now whereas in years gone by I would just sommer go, no problem.

Wish my life allowed time to be more involved in this- just helping in the background as this old chassis & riding skill is bound to come off second best.

Quick fundraiser for Cracker anyone-@ 4grand we can-
 xt joe R500.00
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2018, 08:56:47 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Nah, seriously, for me it's a week off work and the whole spend that involves, the R4000k entry fee is the easy bit. Even if I'd entered this year, I would have had to pull out anyway. Being self-employed is a bugger when you take time off - it's a double hit.

I'm even looking at my 950, wondering if I'll ever be going on a proper trip again ...................  :'(

But I'm looking at next year in a different way, not just a race. If I'm away I might as well make it 10 days or so and turn it into a Tankwa race AND tour - I doubt I'll ever be going back that side of the country again.

I don't have the talent to be a race winner or a contender but I love racing anyway AND I wanna have an adventure while doing it.  :thumleft:

Good luck to all the WDs doing this year's Tankwa. Whatever happens you gotta report back - with some pics.

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:18 pm »

Nah, seriously, for me it's a week off work and the whole spend that involves, the R4000k entry fee is the easy bit. Even if I'd entered this year, I would have had to pull out anyway. Being self-employed is a bugger when you take time off - it's a double hit.

I'm even looking at my 950, wondering if I'll ever be going on a proper trip again ...................  :'(

But I'm looking at next year in a different way, not just a race. If I'm away I might as well make it 10 days or so and turn it into a Tankwa race AND tour - I doubt I'll ever be going back that side of the country again.

I don't have the talent to be a race winner or a contender but I love racing anyway AND I wanna have an adventure while doing it.  :thumleft:

Good luck to all the WDs doing this year's Tankwa. Whatever happens you gotta report back - with some pics.
Cracker make a plan sometime and a group of us can do a more private tour in Tankwa where Gen Public don't have access (invitation type thing). Got something in mind ..... watch this space
No Road like Off-Road

The following users thanked this post: Cracker

Offline Breekbeen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2018, 06:37:03 pm »
How do you guys fix your gps on your bikes?
I also see in the regs it need to be wired onto the bike.
I need some pointers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

YAMAHA T7 :-) ;YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

Vrugte boer........poephol vrugte

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2018, 06:43:01 am »

I'can just imagine- it was just one of those shoot from the hip moments- pretty broke as it is :) but could have made a plan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:56:19 am by XT JOE »

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2018, 06:58:03 am »

Shit looking at this i should have been there-

Sliver Class with a maximun distance of  (400-450Km).
   Day 1 - 120km
   Day 2 - 150/200km
   Day 3 - 140km

Offline Buff

« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2018, 08:22:51 am »

   Day 1 - 120km
   Day 2 - 150/200km
   Day 3 - 140km

Yep, you should have, Silver class is very manageable  :thumleft: If you really want to try it I'm sure @Offroad2 will allow a late entry for Silver Class as there's no road books to prepare.

Offline Buff

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:43 am »
How do you guys fix your gps on your bikes?
I also see in the regs it need to be wired onto the bike.
I need some pointers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've got a eTrex10 and I use a simple bicycle mount for it, available from Garmin (actually got mine from ActionGear online). @Crossed-up  came up with a brilliant pooratech solution that he might be willing to share.

Regarding the wiring... I simply wired in a cigarette lighter adapter straight to the battery with a fuse and used my normal GPS cable and duct-taped it into the port so it didn't jump out.

The following users thanked this post: Breekbeen

Offline Breekbeen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2018, 08:59:23 am »
Thanks Buff.
Saw that mount on Garmins website last night.
So the wiring is 12V ?
I was just worried that the GPS needs a 5V power supply.
YAMAHA T7 :-) ;YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

Vrugte boer........poephol vrugte

Offline Buff

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2018, 09:50:46 am »
Thanks Buff.
So the wiring is 12V ?

I used my GPS's car mount cable and it has a built in converter so you'll need to check for your own GPS. I don't think you can wire it in directly.

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2018, 10:30:59 am »

   Day 1 - 120km
   Day 2 - 150/200km
   Day 3 - 140km

will do a later entry for you no probs !!!
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2018, 10:56:05 am »

   Day 1 - 120km
   Day 2 - 150/200km
   Day 3 - 140km

Go on @XT JOE  :ricky: :ricky: :thumleft:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »
Thanks Buff.
So the wiring is 12V ?

Mine ripped out when my "tower" cracked and collapsed - you can get a hard wire kit.

Looks like this:

https://shop.garmin.co.za/access-serial-data-power-cable-with-ferrite.html

I phoned all over Cape Town - no luck, and out of desperation and on a whim I phoned Flying Brick.

There website was down etc etc....but guess what, with the assistance of Werner, I managed to EFT and sort out collection and delivery in about 5 minutes flat - what a pleasure.

Guys are forum vendors, and ideally situated within walking distance of KTM, Yamaha etc.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:27 pm »

   Day 1 - 120km
   Day 2 - 150/200km
   Day 3 - 140km

Go on @XT JOE  :ricky: :ricky: :thumleft:

Thanks Ri :thumleft:- leaving saturday am for 1 week eastern cape holiday - please remind me for next year

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2018, 05:26:00 pm »
Thanks Buff.
So the wiring is 12V ?

I used my GPS's car mount cable and it has a built in converter so you'll need to check for your own GPS. I don't think you can wire it in directly.

No, No, No - don't wire it in directly. I did that once - cost me a new GPS  :'( :'(

Use the cable and 3V dc converter/cig lighter plug thing that comes with the GPS. Or buy one if you don't have.

Do it like Buff/Beserker says  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!