Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018  (Read 10382 times)

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
Re: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:32 am »
But I'm looking at next year in a different way, not just a race. If I'm away I might as well make it 10 days or so and turn it into a Tankwa race AND tour - I doubt I'll ever be going back that side of the country again.

I don't have the talent to be a race winner or a contender but I love racing anyway AND I wanna have an adventure while doing it.  :thumleft:

I'll get you a Bells once down here.

Rooiputs is an ideal place for a jump off - I have tracks that will take you from there, past Loeriesfontein all the way to Pella and a proper Richtersveld meander, if so inclined, even some tracks just north of the Namibia border.

If you approach the Tankwa Rally as an adventure, it provides awesome opportunity on it's own, which is why I can't understand that some of the more adventurous dual sport guys don't ride it - it is priced far less than a regular rally, and on par with offroad "touring" companies - to me it is a no brainer.   :dontknow:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline JacoM

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2018, 06:47:28 pm »
I will be at Tankwa Tented camp with my boys and offroads this weekend.. Where can I link with the route to come and whatch?
Is there a map available to determine the spectator points closest to Stonehege?

Offline Buff

« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2018, 09:40:40 pm »
I will be at Tankwa Tented camp with my boys and offroads this weekend.. Where can I link with the route to come and whatch?
Is there a map available to determine the spectator points closest to Stonehege?

Keep an eye out on Sat, the rally will be coming past really close to Stonehenge. Silver Class will be ending at the Halfway House pub  :thumleft: As far as I know the spectator guide isn't available online.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2018, 07:45:54 am »

Keep an eye out on Sat, the rally will be coming past really close to Stonehenge. Silver Class will be ending at the Halfway House pub  :thumleft: As far as I know the spectator guide isn't available online.

Man i wish i was there- please post plenty pics
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2018, 12:06:05 pm »
If you approach the Tankwa Rally as an adventure, it provides awesome opportunity on it's own, which is why I can't understand that some of the more adventurous dual sport guys don't ride it - it is priced far less than a regular rally, and on par with offroad "touring" companies - to me it is a no brainer.   :dontknow:

I don't race and therefor hardly looked at this.  By the time I woke up and found out I could just enter and use my current bike with GPS it was too late as we had already organised a Cederberg ride for this weekend.  I will try be more awake in the future as riding unknown tracks is nice.

Don't know if it is feasible to run the same routes as for the silver class as an Adventure Rallye in a few months?  This could be an opportunity to recoup some of the costs and effort that has gone into organising this event.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:19:04 am by Amsterdam »
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

Offline Breekbeen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »
Where are the results?
Let us know how it went.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

YAMAHA T7 :-) ;YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

Vrugte boer........poephol vrugte

Offline BossPierreLombard

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2018, 08:48:42 pm »

Some photos from the start this morning.

David Ellis was first in his class, and I think it was Kenny Gilbert 1st in the rally class.

Not sure what happened today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:44 am »

Some photos from the start this morning.

David Ellis was first in his class, and I think it was Kenny Gilbert 1st in the rally class.

Not sure what happened today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Rudi Tour was there with his 950SE. Legend

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2018, 04:39:39 am »
Lekker!! :ricky:

more more MAUR please. :deal:

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Buff

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2018, 10:30:58 am »
It was MAGICAL... I'm not saying anything further, you'll need to be there next year to find out for yourself what you missed out on  ;)

1. Early morning going up Gannaga Pass on the 150km rally liason... masekinners, it was COLD

2. Ain't she sweet?

3. My swaer chasing the sunset

4. Muzzy sweeping with me on day 1 rally stage

5. Refueling at Middelpos

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:37:51 pm by Buff »

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2018, 11:05:11 pm »
So let me add to this.
Buff stirred the pot with me and asked why my son (junior) is not racing. I sent him a whatsapp, telling him that junior is writing exams. He called me all kind of names.... just not appropriate for here. So I sent junior a whatsapp asking what would he be writing on the Friday, his reply was, only has to hand in his mechanical project, in which he also said, he wants to do it on Thursday. Mmmmmm thats gets me thinking. So long story short, everyting was arranged via Nigeria on whatsapp. Junior would entre silver class and Buff would keep an eye on him......which I am not sure happened, as I saw some pictures with some sort of beverages in hand.
Well Junior drove up on Thursday afternoon after school. As everyone, Buff and other riding friends would have left early in the morning. Droomers race team taking up Juniors bike as well.
Thursday evening it was mounting the Gps. and checking the bike and I dont know what els.....
Friday morning I got messaged, all is well and he is off and talk later.
Afternoon got message. Did not do to good. Got lost as Gps did not work and tyre came off.
He said, he made a plan. Sent me pictures. Used a bunch of tie-raps to secure the tyre to rim.
Friday evening he managed to talk to Buff very late as Buff was out all day and almost all evening, to get the Gps fixed as everyone told him, its the unit that and will not work???
Buff sorted him out.  :thumleft:
Saterday he started last due to the time trials. Sent me a message, he will be leaving soon.
Saterday at about 12pm. Get whatsapp. Went well! A few offs. But Gps worked.  :thumleft:
Later Saterday, get picture of results. Third place. Man o man! He must have been flying! I was so excited on his behalf.
Sunday get updated before he leaves, all good and ready to go. Body a bit battered and bruised, but ok.
So I wait and wait...... around 12.30 get message. Back safe and all ok! With some more offs! Mmm this guy seems to have more offs than onns??
Later on get results from Buff, came in second!
Well, I was over the moon!! And proud!
Later on Sunday with prize giving and after total score of the weekend, Junior got Third place. For his first time Gps race. Think he is hooked and gonna cost me more moela!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:12:25 pm by Yami Super 10 »
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2018, 11:16:06 pm »
Some of the results sent via whatsapp pictures of Silver class.
First picture Saterday.
Second picture was Sunday.
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:47 am »
Later on Sunday with prize giving and after total score of the weekend, Junior got Third place. For his first time Gps race. Think he is hooked and gonna cost me more moela!!

People pay a lot more to install in their kids the type of grid, determination and innovation that a race like the Tankwa requires and teaches you along the way.

Awesome result Renier, looking at you on the track, and the way you managed your race, no reason that you would not have done well in the golden glass either.

Dave
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

The following users thanked this post: Yami Super 10

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2018, 08:33:26 am »
Some of the results sent via whatsapp pictures of Silver class.
First picture Saterday.
Second picture was Sunday.

Deon - you can be proud Renier rode with maturity - I was worried about letting high school class start a race like this however these young guys have grown up in our off-road series. Well done!
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2018, 10:23:57 am »
Watch this video in the Outback of Tankwa -  # Tankwa XC it is not all this fast, in fact some sections were Enduro

VIDEO-2018-09-24-10-05-34

No Road like Off-Road

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2018, 10:55:38 am »

Quote from: Beserker on September 18, 2018, 01:59:40 pm

>I phoned all over Cape Town - no luck, and out of desperation and on a whim I phoned Flying Brick.

Their website was down etc etc....but guess what, with the assistance of Werner, I managed to EFT and sort out collection and delivery in about 5 minutes flat - what a pleasure.

Guys are forum vendors, and ideally situated within walking distance of KTM, Yamaha etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies for that, you tried at the exact time we swapped over to a NEW website, which is now e-commerce, and gives postal/shipping rates, etc - the techies loading the new website (and taking old website down) said it would take TWO hours, and it took....TWENTY FOUR hours!  :-[
But new site is up and running: www.flyingbrick.co.za - sorry for the brief inconvenience, and stoked we could assist you with your Garmin cables!
Cheers, Chris & team

DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
NICKY 021 510 6455            service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455             web@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455           sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
WERNER 021 510 6455   orders@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                    067 278 1893

Offline Buff

« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2018, 12:50:33 pm »
Buff stirred the pot with me and asked why my son (junior) is not racing. I sent him a whatsapp, telling him that junior is writing exams. He called me all kind of names.... just not appropriate for here.

:laughing4: :imaposer: Hey... it worked didn't it and look at his awesome result... Buff knows Best  ;D ;)

Congrats boet, like Clive said, you can indeed be proud, he rode well and used his head to use cable ties when his tire climbed off the rim, it's that kind of tenacity required to finish these marathon type events  :thumleft:

To Clive ( @Offroad2 ) and his Team, congrats on another great Tankwa XC Rally. It wasn't without its fair share of challenges, especially with the Rally Class distances but overall it was a huge success once again  :thumleft:

And to the farmers of the area... what more can a man say, you guys are simply cut from a different cloth, thank you, thank you, thank you for allowing us to race in your very large back yard, treating us as good friends and spoiling us with the most amazing Karoo lamb :thumleft: @Mof , Cornie, Braam, Koos etc.  :thumleft:

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2018, 03:41:09 pm »
From the WEEKEND

s2

s4

s5

s3

s6
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2018, 05:35:00 pm »
Clive! What about a buggy class next year?? :pot:
I will put some special leave in for that :thumleft:
Geduld
          2014 660XT

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2018, 05:47:34 pm »

People pay a lot more to install in their kids the type of grid, determination and innovation that a race like the Tankwa requires and teaches you along the way.

Awesome result Renier, looking at you on the track, and the way you managed your race, no reason that you would not have done well in the golden glass either.

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the kind words. I must confess. Renier started off with quads and moved later to two wheel. Got him a 85 which he mastered and jumped straight onto a KTM 200. We are privileged to have quite a few good bikers as friends who has given a lot of assistance and guidance while I have been away working. Buff seems to have fallen off the train as his guidance is the hard stuff on ice :imaposer: (Only joking Buff)
In all, Renier is a quick learner. I was also a bit impressed with the tie-rap move........there I must have done something right :biggrin:

So I am sure if Renier is still in SA next year, he would do Gold class :ricky:
Geduld
          2014 660XT