Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018  (Read 10533 times)

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
Re: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2018
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:03 pm »
You see now. This is what makes me want to sell the GSA.

Beautiful boet. Truly awesome pics
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline Buff

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 08:51:19 pm »
You see now. This is what makes me want to sell the GSA.

Beautiful boet. Truly awesome pics

:thumleft: amazingly you'd probably be able to ride 60% of this race on a GSA, there's lots of open, following tracks but the soft river beds scattered with iron rocks would be its undoing.... Oh, and the mountain stage on day 3 will be very challenging on anything bigger than a 701  :ricky:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 08:55:08 pm »
Not doable on a 950 then?

I am very tempted. Althought I would not get a race license as I have never raced before.
Officially, that is.  :biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Buff

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:00 pm »

I am very tempted. Althought I would not get a race license as I have never raced before.

In the right hands, a 950 will be able to do it. It'll be a hell of a challenge for sure and the rider will need to be fit but there's nothing out there that's unrideable. I can think of a few WDs who have the skill set for it, @Kamanya  and @tour being 2 of them.

For interest sake you don't need to have raced previously to get a license. You can take out a WOW/One event license and race the Silver Class.

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:36 am »

In the right hands, a 950 will be able to do it. It'll be a hell of a challenge for sure and the rider will need to be fit but there's nothing out there that's unrideable. I can think of a few WDs who have the skill set for it, @Kamanya  and @tour being 2 of them.

For interest sake you don't need to have raced previously to get a license. You can take out a WOW/One event license and race the Silver Class.
Small Correction Buff  NO WOW LICENSE  but ONE EVENT CLUB LIC available we agreed to this with MSA.
No Road like Off-Road

The following users thanked this post: Buff

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 10:16:47 am »
Ok, I am trying to tick off my bucket list, and you have to take big steps sometimes..    :biggrin:

So the 950 is out, as I am too unfit to wrestle her through rocks and sand. I dont ride enough nowadays. A few year ago I could have.

So if I enter the off-road class (say on a 500), I only need a GPS? No roadbook?
Entry fee R3750?
Does that include camping/meals or what else? Sorry, I could not make it out from the WCOC website.

What is the Silver class?
Do I just get a One Event license, tell my medical aid, and come ride?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to figure out if it's doable before I REALLY pull the trigger and start looking for a bike.
With money I dont yet have.......     :biggrin:

You only live once, they say.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:27 am »
Sorry, looking at the entry form now, I might have answered a few of my own questions

Camping is R200 extra.

And Silver Class is sort of a miniature version of the rally. 450km. Any bike. R2250 entry fee.

Am I right?

I assume there will be fuel to buy?
And food and stuff at the race village? I dont have to bring a lot except bike, gear, gps, camping stuff and money?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot. I have been riding bikes for 30 of my 41 years but have never done any sort of organised race. Completely out of my depth here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:24:09 am by Kaboef »

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 10:28:07 am »
Last question, I promise.

If I take out a One Event license, may I only race Silver Class? Or  Off-Road bike Open class if I want to?

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2018, 11:23:05 am »
3rd Edition - Three Day Tankwa Cross Country 2018
After two successful Tankwa events and having received a number of phone calls herewith some basic information so long.Motorsport SA Affiliated:  Yes the event will be again run under the auspices of MSA as we (WCOC) operate within their structure/regulations with safety paramount. Competitors only require a MSA club license or One Event Club license (this covers any class).
Race numbers and stickers will be issued by organisers.

Region:
The event takes place in the Tankwa / Hantam region in the Northern Cape with the nearest town being that of Calvinia.  Tankwa is known for its extreme climate and harsh environment, which will test the best. The variety of terrain promises to level the playing fields amongst competitors challenging both Man and Machine.

Objective:
•   Motorsport SA affiliated Cross Country Rally race catering for Rally Bikes and Off-road Bikes/Quads.
•   Rally Bikes navigation be means of Rally Book
•   Off-Road Bikes/ Quads navigation by means of GPS only.  Silver class 50% of day 2 section but same as others on days 1 & 3.
•   To test Navigation skills.
•   To test competitor all round skills and endurance.
•   Ability to read the terrain.
•   Race in one’s own safety zone and to anticipate.
•   For both man and machine to finish.
•   Adventure for Spectators and Service Crews..

Camping R120 per person per night - payable direct to farmers.

OPTIONAL pre erected Dome Tents with two mattresses (No Bedding) R200 per night - you must pre order on booking form.

Date 21-23rd Sept. 2018:

Venue:        Race HQ Rooiputs 60km south of Calvinia
•   One central race HQ and Tented Village/campsite (DSP).
•   All Stages and liaisons start and finish at main DSP operating in a clover leaf format

Feel free to call Me 0829001334 or Jolene 0823358887
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 11:37:54 am »
Sorry, looking at the entry form now, I might have answered a few of my own questions

Camping is R200 extra. - R120 p/n if you bring your own tent

And Silver Class is sort of a miniature version of the rally. 450km. Any bike. R2250 entry fee.

Am I right? - Correct and the advised class if it's your first attempt at this, it's still plenty of riding

I assume there will be fuel to buy? - No, you bring your own race fuel in 10l containers that can be dropped off at the refueling points

And food and stuff at the race village? I dont have to bring a lot except bike, gear, gps, camping stuff and money? - Correct, Breakfast, Lunch & Supper can be purchased at race HQ and braaied right there as well in the evenings... and there's a pub on the stoep  :thumleft:

Sorry for sounding like an idiot. I have been riding bikes for 30 of my 41 years but have never done any sort of organised race. Completely out of my depth here.
- No worries, we all had to start somewhere

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 02:05:06 pm »
Great, thanks Buff.

Now I have to make some decisions....

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
Great, thanks Buff.

There is a nice looking road legal 525 in Cape Town for sale... please buy it before I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2018, 03:29:48 pm »
Great, thanks Buff.

There is a nice looking road legal 525 in Cape Town for sale... please buy it before I do!

Is there a link somewhere?

If I buy it, can I register it in your name? Because my wife will divorce me.
I'll just say it's your bike and Im storing it for you.

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »
Saw it on gomboom. Just search Ktm 525. I can pm the dudes number if you like? And I’ll gladly keep it at my house too, even take it around the block from time to time?

Nice guy hey!?

-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline tour

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19:02 pm »
Kom nou Kaboef maak n plan en kom ry saam.

So for the peeps sitting on the fence so to speak, just jump in. It s not about winning the race, That's probably between Donny and Ellis...  O0 For the rest of us its about having fun, riding on land thats usually off limits. Having a jol with friends, smelling petrol and engines every morning and nerves through the roof. Making new friends and seeing your riding buddies. Having a beer at night and having an eina body the next day....

I ll be on my 950 for this rally, because its a challenge thats all. and hoping to be in before sunset. the fast guys will be first and the rest of us are having fun and testing ourselves. So pull your finger out your ass and go to the gym a few times and just show up.

Hope to see you all there.
PS, Clive, Beserker and Buff thanks for the feedback here, really appreciated. And John, you re a bloody Legend

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007, Buff

Offline saklx650c

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • the wheels turn - nobody home
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:21 am »
These two pix do it for me... hopefully my bike is ready soon - f#$%#@k.
kl X not R - sold
Husqvarna te610

The following users thanked this post: Buff

Offline Buff

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2018, 08:26:33 am »
Kom nou Kaboef maak n plan en kom ry saam.

So for the peeps sitting on the fence so to speak, just jump in. It s not about winning the race, That's probably between Donny and Ellis...  O0 For the rest of us its about having fun, riding on land thats usually off limits. Having a jol with friends, smelling petrol and engines every morning and nerves through the roof. Making new friends and seeing your riding buddies. Having a beer at night and having an eina body the next day....

I ll be on my 950 for this rally, because its a challenge thats all. and hoping to be in before sunset. the fast guys will be first and the rest of us are having fun and testing ourselves. So pull your finger out your ass and go to the gym a few times and just show up.

Hope to see you all there.
PS, Clive, Beserker and Buff thanks for the feedback here, really appreciated. And John, you re a bloody Legend

So bek kort jam  :thumleft: Lekka Rudi, going to be good to see you there on that 950 monster  :thumleft:

Guys, those photos are just a very small taste of what this race has to offer, I could literally be out there for days just taking photos. Between Sat/Sun past, we covered over 500's of track and never even touched the mountain section or river beds. The terrain is vastly varied and the flowers are spectacular at the moment as well. I'm hoping they'll still be in bloom at the end of Sept. There's one section of road where the farmer has bulldozed a new road up a valley that has never seen a vehicle before and on the opposite side of the valley you can see a cave where shepherds of years past have built pillars of rock shale at the entrance of the cave. These are things that only the property owners have ever seen. It's rather spectacular and we're privileged to be able to ride it. Sadly the front runners won't get to see this, they'll probably be too focused on the track in front of them but I'm hoping the back markers stop every once in a while and take in what this area has to offer  :thumleft:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:42 am »

There is a 950SE entered....

Insofar the licsense is concerned, you can get a 1 day licsense from MSA...from your keyboard, a few clicks away   :thumleft:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2018, 10:39:16 am »
Great, thanks Buff.

Is there a link somewhere?

If I buy it, can I register it in your name? Because my wife will divorce me.
I'll just say it's your bike and Im storing it for you.
Kry vir jou die een vir die trip Kaboef. Ry sommer padlangs soontoe want hy het ligte. Selfde kleur as die 950 jou vrou sal niks agter kom.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=227276.0
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2018, 11:38:47 am »
Daai bike en Rossdog se 500 spook snags by my.

Maar my hele spaar-kitty het ingegaan in n bouery terwyl ek wag vir die projekfinansiering om deur te kom.
Dis nou 4 maande en ek wag nog steeds. So die spokery moet maar nog n rukkie aanhou.

Dalk vat ek sommer die 950 vir die Tankwa. Ek is mos net so taai soos Tour. Net nie so handsome nie.
 :biggrin:

www.cfoconsult.co.za