Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will SWM be coming to SA ?  (Read 862 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
Will SWM be coming to SA ?
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:31:56 pm »
Getting fairly good reviews on ADVrider by the Aussies, due to be released in USA later in the year. A lot cheaper than a 690 it seems.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:29:59 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Will SWM come to SA ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »
I like the RS 650 R too. Wonder whose engine they use? If its a Rotax it could be a stunning bike.

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Will SWM be coming to SA ?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:59 pm »
Those look like older model Husqvarna engines?

SWM is a bit of a cobbled-together brand, and one sort of almost expect them to just quietly slip away again.

I hope not.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:50:08 pm »
SWM, CCM and that Portuguese outfit, AJP, who are putting together a really nice looking bike, all use the old 630 engine. While it was in the Husqvarna it seems to have performed well and one could reasonably expect it to do well in these bikes. SWM's RS650 have compromised a little bit on the suspension but it should still be a hell of a capable bike. The AJP might be a bit heavier but would make the sort of long-distance enduro/tourer that some of us wish the manufacturers would make. The CCM Spitfire is silly expensive, sold out, and frankly, something of a poser.

I would jump at a chance to look at the SWM RS650.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:53:11 pm »
SWM = straight white male?!  ???
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
Yes AJP switched from the XT660 motor to the Husky unit. Just hope the beefed up the valve train.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:13 pm »
They also sell the previous generation Husky 4 stroke enduro bikes, branded as SWM
'69 Model.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »
Rumours are they (SWM) will be building a 350 and 550 V-twin in the near future. Lets hop they add a good chassis.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:11:04 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 12:28:17 am »
Shape van daai seat lyk vir my effe weird.

Suid-Afrikaners is te brand bewus en bike sales te crappy vir SWM om n poging aan te wend. (Volgens my)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:11:32 am »

Suid-Afrikaners is te brand bewus en bike sales te crappy vir SWM om n poging aan te wend. (Volgens my)

Teen die regte prys sal ek een try, Suzuki Kawa en die ander laat die bal drop met wat hulle deesdae aanbied in die klein bike mark
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 09:25:59 am »
350 or 500 v-twin will be great imho
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

Teen die regte prys sal ek een try, Suzuki Kawa en die ander laat die bal drop met wat hulle deesdae aanbied in die klein bike mark

Stem saam - wanneer laas was daar 'n ordentlike Suzuki DS uit? pffft... ek sal die SWM 'n kans gee.
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:09 am »

Stem saam - wanneer laas was daar 'n ordentlike Suzuki DS uit? pffft... ek sal die SWM 'n kans gee.
Dis heeltyd nog beskikbaar in die res van die wreld net nie in SA...............................................DR 650. :deal: ;) :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:52:09 am »

Dis heeltyd nog beskikbaar in die res van die wreld net nie in SA...............................................DR 650. :deal: ;) :thumleft:

Verkoop nog baie baie goed elke jaar.  :deal:  :thumleft:
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »

Someone on ADVrider mentioned that the SWM Super Dual was the best midrange dualsport bike on offer. At first I thought what was this guy smoking then I started thinking. It comes stock standard with a large tank, decent wheels (would have preferred 21), crashbars , screen, ok seat, rear rack, handguards, bash plate, spots, centre stand etc. In a way it made sense not that all that stuff is always needed but you can always take it off. Now you buy a KTM 690 for $14200 and spend extra to get all the equipment listed on the SWM (what does n 690 tank cost on it's own ?) or you can buy a brand new dual for $9999 Aussie dollars ! My only gripe with the Superdual is that they should have kept the older Marzocchi or similar forks. You cant discount the SWM even more so if you compare it with the latest crop of 250 / 300 DS bikes that would I guess only cost fractionally less. Someone like Cayenne could be the dealers for SWM ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:02:13 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 04:06:15 pm »

Someone on ADVrider mentioned that the SWM Super Dual was the best midrange dualsport bike on offer. At first I thought what was this guy smoking then I started thinking. It comes stock standard with a large tank, decent wheels (would have preferred 21), crashbars , screen, ok seat, rear rack, handguards, bash plate, spots, centre stand etc. In a way it made sense not that all that stuff is always needed but you can always take it off. Now you buy a KTM 690 for $14200 and spend extra to get all the equipment listed on the SWM (what does n 690 tank cost on it's own ?) or you can buy a brand new dual for $10200 Aussie dollars ! My only gripe with the Superdual is that they should have kept the older Marzocchi or similar forks. You cant discount the SWM even more so if you compare it with the latest crop of 250 / 300 DS bikes that would I guess only cost fractionally less.

What I find very funny....and we will see what the response is after this comment...
The SWM / Superdual is basically a new Xchallenge/Husky 630. It almost have the same weight as those two bikes at 159kg.

But I agree, I really love the SWM and CCP type dual sports, the problem is as someone mentioned. People won't buy them because of brand loyalty in this country.

This is one guys comparison online as well.

As it happens I currently have a Husky 701 on long term test so a comparison is easy to make and there is a vast difference between the two bikes. The 701 is far more powerful, refined and up to date, plus its in a different league off-road and, in my opinion, the components and construction are far superior. On the other hand, the SuperDual is less expensive, more practical for longer journeys, can take a pillion, comes as a complete adventure package (pannier racks, crash bars etc.), plus its less intimidating than the very tall and exceptionally frisky 701.

Depending on price that bike may be exactly what a lot of people want from a bike.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 04:25:07 pm »

What I find very funny....and we will see what the response is after this comment...
The SWM / Superdual is basically a new Xchallenge/Husky 630. It almost have the same weight as those two bikes at 159kg.

No, it is not by any stretch of imagination. 19/17 wheels, crap suspension, idiotic scafolding and luggage frames etc. the bike that was supposed yo be replacement of those two is RS650r - until the iluminati in SWm decided that 20cm fork travel is plenty. Id much rather have xr/dr than this pile of goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 04:39:24 pm »

No, it is not by any stretch of imagination. 19/17 wheels, crap suspension, idiotic scafolding and luggage frames etc. the bike that was supposed yo be replacement of those two is RS650r - until the iluminati in SWm decided that 20cm fork travel is plenty. Id much rather have xr/dr than this pile of goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you seen some of the latest offerings if you want to buy new ? And here I mean what people think of as Adventure bikes when they get into riding. The SWM suddenly looks quite good compared to them, you can always just buy the RS version as well with less stuff bolted to it. The AJP PR7 seems just as secretive as a 700 Tenere.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:42:39 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Xpat

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 04:51:26 pm »
With those kind of compromises and crap, id rather buy a twin. And yes, there are 650cc dirtsorthy singles missing terribly on the market new, except 690/701. But this swm is not filling that gap in any way imo - which is what i would call small ds bike, not those 250/300 offerings aimed squarely at asia and south america. Superdual is just pathetic effort at overbuild acv bike (with single being its achiles heel) and rs650r is pathetic effort at ds. Fail in both cases in my book.

It id kind of said state of affairs when bikes of yesteryear were leaps better than these new offerings.