Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: mechanical workmanship caught on video  (Read 8580 times)

Offline oldred

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • 1984 Honda XR500RE
mechanical workmanship caught on video
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:21 am »

Offline Omninorm

Re: mechanical workmanship caught on video
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:33 am »

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

The following users thanked this post: Oshkosh

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:15 am »
Hey look, it's Oasis :)

Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

The following users thanked this post: DirtRebell

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:45 am »

Offline hugh101

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »
I met Rosie in the transkei and all  I can say is that bike was a wreck from the start
that bike needed alot of work and she was on a limited budget, so i will not judge the mechanics helping her out
That she got as far with it, is a miracle
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:04:05 pm by hugh101 »
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Offline eberhard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:29:05 pm »
She’s got an annoying voice.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline dookie

• The last Avatar Meatbender.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Health and Safetitty matters
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:43:41 pm »
Don't they all ?

Offline eberhard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:50:27 pm »
Don't they all ?
:imaposer:

(Mind you, between the lines I actually wanted to say SHE is annoying. I was being kind)
I wonder whether she’s ever seen a desert.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:55:24 pm »
The fitted crashbars prevented any downchanges.

:eek7:

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 01:09:09 pm »
Why, oh why did I open this thread ............................. If only I had some proper work to do ...........................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
I have to say that I am embarrased. Embarrassed that dealers in the land we love so much do such substandard work. There is another issue that wasn't resolved by the main workshop mechanic, even being asked specifically by the customer, and given the symptoms to look out for - I suspect more will come out in one of the next episodes.

The discussion shouldn't be about the state of the bike that she used, but rather about the appalling service and blatant "we don't really give a shit attitude" shown by the dealership.

In my opinion, it is sheer laziness and lack of pride in your work if you are too kak sleg to make sure the work you performed is correct by testing the vehicle after.

Any business that delivers this kind of service absolutely deserves to shut down. They are not interested in customer service, don't take pride in their offering or themselves as people and are only in the game to make as much money by doing as little as possible.

I am staggered to see how little disdain there is to find when a customer gets this kind of service, and it is discussed in a public forum. This just tells me most South African's standards are slipping. Who will hold the companies, the government accountable if the people are not willing to speak up/refuse to accept shitty service.

I see guys commenting on the lady's voice, rather than discussing the issue at hand. The same way we constantly punt our beloved country as the land of milk and honey. It simply looks like a lot of head in the sand behaviour if you ask me.

How do we think the world perceives the general ability of South Africans when they see a video like this?

Again, I am embarrassed that this Canadian traveller received this service from my countrymen, and I cannot blame her for telling the world that our motorcycle workshops are a joke.

Bloody shame on you Yamaha dealership in Cape Town!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: OomD, AndyF, KTM Liep

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »
I have to say that I am embarrased. Embarrassed that dealers in the land we love so much do such substandard work. There is another issue that wasn't resolved by the main workshop mechanic, even being asked specifically by the customer, and given the symptoms to look out for - I suspect more will come out in one of the next episodes.

The discussion shouldn't be about the state of the bike that she used, but rather about the appalling service and blatant "we don't really give a shit attitude" shown by the dealership.

In my opinion, it is sheer laziness and lack of pride in your work if you are too kak sleg to make sure the work you performed is correct by testing the vehicle after.

Any business that delivers this kind of service absolutely deserves to shut down. They are not interested in customer service, don't take pride in their offering or themselves as people and are only in the game to make as much money by doing as little as possible.

I am staggered to see how little disdain there is to find when a customer gets this kind of service, and it is discussed in a public forum. This just tells me most South African's standards are slipping. Who will hold the companies, the government accountable if the people are not willing to speak up/refuse to accept shitty service.

I see guys commenting on the lady's voice, rather than discussing the issue at hand. The same way we constantly punt our beloved country as the land of milk and honey. It simply looks like a lot of head in the sand behaviour if you ask me.

How do we think the world perceives the general ability of South Africans when they see a video like this?

Again, I am embarrassed that this Canadian traveller received this service from my countrymen, and I cannot blame her for telling the world that our motorcycle workshops are a joke.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:42 pm »
Such a stupid error that causes so much drama ?   :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:55:06 pm by ktmmer »

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:48 pm »
 :sip:
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »
Those SW Motech crashbars are perfectly built to specification.

I'm 99,999% convinced that the gear shifter on that old XT was not in the correct position from the start and its position was amended
to fit the requirements of the previous owner, who perhaps hade long, big, short or crooked left foot perhaps.
Those crashbars can only go on one way........the perfect way.
It fits, or it doesnt.

It is unfair to making comments about something that you have no knowledge about and start slandering
the dealership.

It is really much ado about nothing  :dousing:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:13:55 pm by Operator »

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Offline armpump

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:09:18 pm »
Agree but make sure it can shift up and down all the gears before handing it over to a client.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »

I'm 99,999% convinced that the gear shifter on that old XT was not in the correct position from the start and its position was amended
to fit the requirements of the previous owner, who perhaps have long, big, short or crooked left foot perhaps.
It fits, or it doesnt.

It is unfair to making comments about something that you have no knowledge about and start slandering
the dealership.

Someone doesn't have to have knowledge about something to clearly see that the shifter is in the way.
You might be right about the gear shifter esp after what hugh101 said, but surely, surely the person installing it should have checked right? Do people not check their work anymore?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:19:47 pm by Omninorm »

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 02:18:55 pm »

Well said, extremely poor workmanship. It is the responsibility of the person working on the bike to test whether his repairs and or add ons work! Not taking responsibility for your own faults, or lack of workmanship has become the norm, it is unacceptable

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 02:19:29 pm »

to fit the requirements of the previous owner, who perhaps have long, big, short or crooked left foot perhaps.
It fits, or it doesnt.

the dealership.

What? Are you joking?

Are we discussing the crash bars, or the service received?

I call it fcking amateurish to fit anything to especially a motorcycle without checking if the fitment is correct and your customer will be able to use the vehicle safely after your fitment. And this from a DEALERSHIP! NO ONE SUPPOSEDLY HAVE AS WELL QUALIFIED TECHNICIANS AS THEY DO TO COMPLETE THE WORK CORRECTLY.

Each to their own. But don't moan and groan when South Africa is called 3rd world, a shithole, or when you have to stand in queues for the whole day to get your drivers/ID/whatever.

This is the exact problem. We have become used to putting up with shit service, and when that it is pointed out, people get funny with the person/people complaining about it.

All happy to keep our heads in the sand.

Offline Gee S

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »
I agree extremely poor form from the dealerships employees.
Do we know what was wrong in the end and did she make it to Zanzibar IIRC.
All that wander are not lost