Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: mechanical workmanship caught on video  (Read 8587 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: mechanical workmanship caught on video
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:16 pm »
And who sourced the clapped out bike to begin with ? Looked pretty ragged  :-\
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Buddy

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 08:54:43 pm »
I would have ridden away from her the first opportunity I got.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
 :sip: Well, she does have some other videos of her hair falling out after using camel urine ( to wash her hair?) or something like that. and some others. :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:59 pm »
Did she pay for the work done?

Cash or kind?

If it was in kind she would make a video and complain about it !!

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 09:27:53 pm »
Never been as true as now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline eberhard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:24 pm »

Cash or kind?

Now that's low  :laughing7: :imaposer: :laughing4:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline hugh101

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:01 pm »
I would have ridden away from her the first opportunity I got.
We did! :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift
Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander "bosbulletjie" sold
F 650 gs

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 04:01:59 am »
I am going to dip my oar in here with some observations

1. That bike looked rather fucked to begin with - look at how "furry" the engine casings are, the toolmarks and rounded heads on top of the fork caps and the general condition - she obviously has no clue as to what she is doing and bought or rented that shitter and expected that adding a few panniers, crashbars and lowering the suspension would turn it into a reliable overland bike. We can all see that that bike had been pulled through its own arse backwards and sideways and I seriously doubt any slightly educated or knowledgeable member on this forum would have wanted to choose that exact particular bike to undertake the trip that she wanted to.

2. The gearshift problem looked to be sorted in a few seconds - what is the big fuss about ? The head mechanic did not ride it beforehand - look at how many bikes are standing there ...he can't ride every single one of them because he won't get his work done - but he did take it for a ride for her video and in his opinion it was OK ...now he must put his cock on the block and guarantee everything on that shitter for a lifetime after they have fitted panniers and crashbars

I sell a fair number of vehicles to foreign tourists ...mostly Land Rovers and Land Cruisers - they are generally incredibly difficult to deal with - very demanding, full of "clever" ideas of their own and generally treat me like shit ...but I just shut up and take it

Generally they think that we are a million years behind and are as thick as pigshit and believe they need to speak slowly and repeat themselves over and over in case I didn't get it the first 100 times

Generally they all have a "blog" or some high tech record of their travels and take great pains to tell you about it at every opportunity obviously believing that none of us have ever seen a GoPro before and we should stare in wonderment at this gadget while they assure us it will not steal our soul

They are also generally very reluctant to pay - they all generally seem to have this idea that overland travel in Africa should be practically free and they question and argue over every last cent - I now just tell them firmly but politely that if they can't afford this then they should go back home now because South Africa is still the cheapest country to visit in Africa and offers incredibly good value for money. We don't know if Helderberg Yamaha had the chance to really go through the bike and quote on every last thing that was not up to spec - I bet they were given very specific instructions on what only to do because she was on a tight budget.

I say generally a lot because they are not all like that and I have had good experiences but generally they are full of shit - especially those from the more "civilised" Northern Hemisphere because in general my customers from the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, South America)are a million times better and easier to deal with

This chick Rosie G is no different to the general overland foreign tourist I see on a regular basis - full of shit, totally over dramatic and self serving by only presenting her side of the story

I have travelled a fair amount and worked in a lot of different places - in my opinion South Africa has very good workmanship and service levels compared to what I have seen out there

I can almost guarantee that in a big workshop in her own country she would not have been allowed into the workshop area and would have received far worse service - they don't take kindly to shit like this - especially not from a hippie check with a nosering and a camers ...in my experience they all come across as sweet and nice but in reality they are full of shit and feel entitled to make shit because they believe they are doing Aaaafrica (they always pronounce it slowly and drag out the beginning) the biggest favour by visiting our shores with their GoPros and other soul stealing gadgets from their first world homes

I know the Dealer Principal at Helderberg Yamaha well - he runs a tight ship and their workshop is top class - I work on my own bikes because I am an enthusiast and have the tools, time and some knowledge but if I had a Yamaha or needed a workshop to work on my bike then I would take it to them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:22:38 am by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack, ktmmer, eberhard

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 04:38:16 am »
Good post. I agree with you 100%

You can smell the drama on that woman from a 100 meters away.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:27:42 am by Kaboef »
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 08:40:32 am »

Cash or kind?

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

In that one video she sits on the front stoep of Cederberg Oasis and complain.
The name of the video is:  My bike broke down in the middle of a DESERT !

FFS  it is Cederberg Oasis  :snorting:.................it is not even remotely close to the definition of a desert .   :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

But suppose using the word DESERT, was more suitable to add drama  :snorting:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:43:39 am by Operator »

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:35 am »
You take your bike in for crash bars / luggage to be fitted and expect a test drive to be done.

I would shit myself if my bike went in for the above and they test drove it. 

I also guess it was a freebee or done at a minimal charge. Would be interesting to find out.

Someone that wants to complain or be negative will always find a reason to do so.

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 10:39:23 am »
I picked up in  her Oasis video she mentions that she have gear sponsors?
If you are a woman travelling alone into Africa and you have limited mech ability, why would you care about gear sponsors and start your journey on a beat down bike?
This makes boggerol sense to me.
I will ride in a t shirt with holes and a 40 year old peepot helmet, but I will make sure I have a solidbike.
The bike will break down, regardless of who worked on it.
Unfugginbelievable
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Ri

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 12:34:18 pm »
https://instagram.com/p/BfK5TT_H5O9/

Nice summary.

From what I can ascertain, she is talking to the head mechanic. Maybe she should have spoken to the service manager, but the way I see it, any workshop should give you a rundown of what you have requested be checked on the bike, what their findings of reported problems were and what work has been carried out.

Why she didn't speak to the mechanic that worked on the bike, I dont know, but logic tells me that there must be a reason that the head mechanic was involved.

Q1. They didn't do new brake lines. How are the brakes on this?
A1. I don't know, I wasn't involved with it personally.
C1. Maybe you should ask whichever mechanic from your dealership was, and get him involved in the conversation? What is the point of being the head mechanic if it isn't at least to take some leadership in the workshop?

Q2. Did you take it for a Test drive?
A2. No I didn't. I wasn't asked to.
C2. Maybe I am being silly here, but how will you pick up and report any problems on a vehicle if you don't take it for a Test drive? Who has to ask you to take the bike for a Test drive, the dealer/customer? Maybe as a head mechanic you should have some form of autonomy in your work, and maybe the dealership should - out of interest in customer satisfaction and safety - insist that bikes are test ridden to ensure they work correctly before they leave the dealership.

From what I gather is coming up in a subsequent video, this annoying woman that complains about "nothing" according to some, could figure out that there was a problem with the front end of the bike. The HEAD MECHANIC (Just for you RI ) could not find anything wrong after the customer insists that he take it for a test drive. What would we suppose that means about his level of skill as Head Mechanic?

The fact that you received good service from this dealership, does not detract from the fact that this woman received absolutely appalling service (Whether she laid for it or not). Good service is not something you give once or twice. It should be your company culture. Making sure a job is done correctly and thoroughly is not doing the customer a favour, it shows your character and the attitude of the leadership at your company.

What I am trying to get to, is our blatant acceptance of this kind of service as South Africans, all the while convincing ourselves that it is normal. It is for this exact reason that we will keep degenerating into 3rd world status, as there are no more voices demanding 1st world service or standards. This is no more true than the insane queues at all state departments, where it is simply accepted as the norm.

What is more worrying is the fact that this ineptness has crept further and further into the private sector, and if we don't show an intolerance for it, will become our culture.

Again, this is not a rant about any brand, particular company or person. It is about the crazy shit we allow companies to get away with without even questioning them (Hell, in some instances as we can see on this thread, some make excuses on their behalf and even go as far as criticizing the voices that dare complain about bad service).

Patriotism isn't hiding or making excuses for your countries flaws, it is wanting to change the bad things that are happening because you love your country and want it to be better.

1st step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem...

How about a little loyalty then, knowing nothing about this foreign lady but knowing something about your countrymen and having a little faith in them? You crucify them very quickly, over the word of your fellow Dogs and bikers, on the say so of sexy foreign chick.

I know these people personally and would (and have) trusted them with my bike, and therefore, my life.

The following users thanked this post: ktmmer, Constantinople

Offline FanieKrismis

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2018, 12:37:07 pm »

Nice summary.

From what I can ascertain, she is talking to the head mechanic. Maybe she should have spoken to the service manager, but the way I see it, any workshop should give you a rundown of what you have requested be checked on the bike, what their findings of reported problems were and what work has been carried out.

Why she didn't speak to the mechanic that worked on the bike, I dont know, but logic tells me that there must be a reason that the head mechanic was involved.

C1. Maybe you should ask whichever mechanic from your dealership was, and get him involved in the conversation? What is the point of being the head mechanic if it isn't at least to take some leadership in the workshop?

C2. Maybe I am being silly here, but how will you pick up and report any problems on a vehicle if you don't take it for a Test drive? Who has to ask you to take the bike for a Test drive, the dealer/customer? Maybe as a head mechanic you should have some form of autonomy in your work, and maybe the dealership should - out of interest in customer satisfaction and safety - insist that bikes are test ridden to ensure they work correctly before they leave the dealership.

From what I gather is coming up in a subsequent video, this annoying woman that complains about "nothing" according to some, could figure out that there was a problem with the front end of the bike. The HEAD MECHANIC (Just for you RI ) could not find anything wrong after the customer insists that he take it for a test drive. What would we suppose that means about his level of skill as Head Mechanic?

The fact that you received good service from this dealership, does not detract from the fact that this woman received absolutely appalling service (Whether she laid for it or not). Good service is not something you give once or twice. It should be your company culture. Making sure a job is done correctly and thoroughly is not doing the customer a favour, it shows your character and the attitude of the leadership at your company.

What I am trying to get to, is our blatant acceptance of this kind of service as South Africans, all the while convincing ourselves that it is normal. It is for this exact reason that we will keep degenerating into 3rd world status, as there are no more voices demanding 1st world service or standards. This is no more true than the insane queues at all state departments, where it is simply accepted as the norm.

What is more worrying is the fact that this ineptness has crept further and further into the private sector, and if we don't show an intolerance for it, will become our culture.

Again, this is not a rant about any brand, particular company or person. It is about the crazy shit we allow companies to get away with without even questioning them (Hell, in some instances as we can see on this thread, some make excuses on their behalf and even go as far as criticizing the voices that dare complain about bad service).

Patriotism isn't hiding or making excuses for your countries flaws, it is wanting to change the bad things that are happening because you love your country and want it to be better.

Maybe the lay was only good enough to pay for the service provided.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2018, 12:44:39 pm »

Nice summary.

How about a little loyalty then, knowing nothing about this foreign lady but knowing something about your countrymen and having a little faith in them? You crucify them very quickly, over the word of your fellow Dogs and bikers, on the say so of sexy foreign chick.

I know these people personally and would (and have) trusted them with my bike, and therefore, my life.

Ri , I also found her sexy, until I sensed the drama and self importance . Nothing as off putting as that !!!  :thumleft:

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2018, 12:54:50 pm »
Can't speak for Rosie or whoever didn't test that gear lever, but I've only ever had the best service from that dealership. My bike had a lot of issues, and they went above and beyond trying to get it fixed, especially when trying to fix a crack in my bike's crank casing. They came highly recommended and never disappointed.

The first time I went to fetch my bike from them, it looked like a completely different bike, and it ran like a Swiss clock. That main mechanic some  people are slating in capital letters, took my every complaint to heart and tried his best to try fix everything. The dealer was always friendly and accommodating.

This is the same dealership who, for free, serviced and fixed up this bike and helped these lovely people on their way: http://themotorcyclehub.com/traveling-100000-kilometers-around-the-world-on-a-motorcycle/

There was a presentation at the dealership and we got to meet and chat with Ivanka and Manual after they'd done a slide show of their travels.

And thats exactly what should happen on a bike, you trust that dealership with your life. They should act that its that important to them.
While I don't agree with the crappy workshop service I saw on the video. imho it was crappy (whether she paid for it got free goodies etc doesn't matter.) Easily solvable and yes, maybe a lot of drama for no reason. I get moerse irritated if I get charged for a service and it's not done properly. if it's done as per request and as agreed to I don't have a issue paying good, hard earned cash for that. Mistakes happen, but then the reply should have been. "Oh damn LOL not sure how that happened let me get someone to sort that out for you asap, sorry about that. Done. Not " I don't know, no one asked me to check". Then kinda everyone hangs around...now what. Take ownership of a issue and have some pride act professional.  We don't know the whole story and the video could have been edited in a way that made it look worse than it is, by some comments here I certainly won't put it past her.

However, I agree with your remarks about that dealerships general service and that's why I was so surprised by this video as I only ever received good service from the sales people.  They have all seem like good honest  people. I have however never used the workshop / bike service department.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:56:14 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2018, 01:02:32 pm »
Ok, so the point I am trying to make is not coming across it seems. Let me address your response point by point:

1. How about a little loyalty then, knowing nothing about this foreign lady but knowing something about your countrymen and having a little faith in them?

Loyalty to what? Bad service? I'm sorry, I can't be loyal to that, whether you are my countryman or not. What I can say is that by giving the substandard service evident in the video, you bring shame on your country and fellow South Africans. I know nothing of either party involved in the video, but that doesn't mean I should by default take the side of a fellow biker/Wild Dog/South African

2. You crucify them very quickly, over the word of your fellow Dogs and bikers, on the say so of sexy foreign chick.

Firstly, I am not taking her part because she is sexy, or a woman or anything else. By definition she is also a fellow biker is she not? Secondly, the video is the evidence we are discussing. Not your nor anyone's experience with said dealership. Just because you got service that was acceptable to you does not mean the dealership is incapable of giving nothing but acceptable service. What you are willing to accept does not neccessarily equate to good service either. No one can deny that she received sub standard service if they honestly consider what happens in the video, and put their own "patriotic" preconceptions to bed.

3. I know these people personally and would (and have) trusted them with my bike, and therefore, my life.

So maybe you are partial to taking their part then, and haven't been objective in viewing the video? Would you have defended the colossal fudge ups of Hitler/Stalin/Mau if you knew them personally? What about Zuma? Was he a good president purely because he was South African?

Just because we are bikers/Wild Dogs/South Africans, does not mean we should accept bad service because it comes from our "own". We should be the ones speaking out, or as I said before bad service will become our reality.

Everyone is up in arms because a foreigner dared to speak out about bad service she received in South Africa. What makes it worse is that some of our own are taking her apart personally in the worst ways because of it.

Offline Offside

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

Dont you just hate p.m.s.

Offline Ri

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:26 pm »
And thats exactly what should happen on a bike, you trust that dealership with your life. They should act that its that important to them.
While I don't agree with the crappy workshop service I saw on the video. imho it was crappy (whether she paid for it got free goodies etc doesn't matter.) Easily solvable and yes, maybe a lot of drama for no reason. I get moerse irritated if I get charged for a service and it's not done properly. if it's done as per request and as agreed to I don't have a issue paying good, hard earned cash for that. Mistakes happen, but then the reply should have been. "Oh damn LOL not sure how that happened let me get someone to sort that out for you asap, sorry about that. Done. Not " I don't know, no one asked me to check". Then kinda everyone hangs around...now what. Take ownership of a issue and have some pride act professional.  We don't know the whole story and the video could have been edited in a way that made it look worse than it is, by some comments here I certainly won't put it past her.

However, I agree with your remarks about that dealerships general service and that's why I was so surprised by this video as I only ever received good service from the sales people.  They have all seem like good honest  people. I have however never used the workshop / bike service department.

Would you expect to test ride a bike if all you did was to add crash bars and bash plate?

Everyone here says they don't know exactly what was done to the bike. I'm convinced if he had done a service, that mechanic wouldn't have needed asking to test ride the bike - he would have just done it. Like he does with any bike he works on.

Ri , I also found her sexy, until I sensed the drama and self importance . Nothing as off putting as that !!!  :thumleft:

LOL reminds me of that meme, "No matter how beautiful she is, someone, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her drama"

Offline Ri

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:22 pm »
Ok, so the point I am trying to make is not coming across it seems. Let me address your response point by point:

1. How about a little loyalty then, knowing nothing about this foreign lady but knowing something about your countrymen and having a little faith in them?

Loyalty to what? Bad service? I'm sorry, I can't be loyal to that, whether you are my countryman or not. What I can say is that by giving the substandard service evident in the video, you bring shame on your country and fellow South Africans. I know nothing of either party involved in the video, but that doesn't mean I should by default take the side of a fellow biker/Wild Dog/South African

2. You crucify them very quickly, over the word of your fellow Dogs and bikers, on the say so of sexy foreign chick.

Firstly, I am not taking her part because she is sexy, or a woman or anything else. By definition she is also a fellow biker is she not? Secondly, the video is the evidence we are discussing. Not your nor anyone's experience with said dealership. Just because you got service that was acceptable to you does not mean the dealership is incapable of giving nothing but acceptable service. What you are willing to accept does not neccessarily equate to good service either. No one can deny that she received sub standard service if they honestly consider what happens in the video, and put their own "patriotic" preconceptions to bed.

3. I know these people personally and would (and have) trusted them with my bike, and therefore, my life.

So maybe you are partial to taking their part then, and haven't been objective in viewing the video? Would you have defended the colossal fudge ups of Hitler/Stalin/Mau if you knew them personally? What about Zuma? Was he a good president purely because he was South African?

Just because we are bikers/Wild Dogs/South Africans, does not mean we should accept bad service because it comes from our "own". We should be the ones speaking out, or as I said before bad service will become our reality.

Everyone is up in arms because a foreigner dared to speak out about bad service she received in South Africa. What makes it worse is that some of our own are taking her apart personally in the worst ways because of it.

I didn't attack Rosie and I didn't say anything against her, because I know nothing about her or the circumstances. I can't vouch for her, and I also said so.

But I do know all the parties you are berating here, and I can vouch for them, and will continue to do so.

Yes there are plenty of bad mechanics and workshops, and they need and deserve showing up.

I however believe that this workshop and this dealership is not one of them, because I've had dealings with them for a period of more than a year. I know that mechanic, and to say that he is particular about his work is to put it mildly.

Mistakes may have been made, but slating them as bad and incompetent etc. as you are doing wholesale, based on one video of one person you don't know either, is to my mind unfair and unwarranted.

Did Rosie join Wild Dogs and we weren't aware of it? That was what I was referring to when I said "Dogs and fellow bikers" i.e. as a group, people you've had dealings with over a period of time, learning who talks sense and who talks nonsense, based on WD interactions.