Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: mechanical workmanship caught on video  (Read 8582 times)

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
Re: mechanical workmanship caught on video
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2018, 08:03:23 am »
F*ck you Rosie, and the ironhorse  you (couldnt) ride into town!
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Online Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:40 am »
Phew!! ........ aren't we lucky we don't have whining and entitlement in SA ......................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2018, 08:25:16 am »
Hi Guys , my 5 cents , I'm not going to comment on the workshop but as irritating as Rosi might be some times , she has big ones to do all her solo rides [ Just saying] I know alot of guys that would never even think of riding through countries solo.I take my hat off to her for following her dreams .

The following users thanked this post: westfrogger

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:06 am »
She's doing what she's doing the way she see's fit to or has to do it.....how many of us get to act out our dreams? I sense some sexual frustration here....  :imaposer:
'Routine is the thief of time'

The following users thanked this post: Slim Jim

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2018, 08:56:55 am »
About the gearshift/crashbar story, I'm a bit fussy about having the gear lever set just where my foot operates it as second nature without even thinking about it.
So if the crashbar was preventing this from being so, then I would blame the crashbar design or fitment. If on the other hand the lever was simply set too low, and could be adjusted to work satisfactorily in my preferred position, then I would simply re-set it and blame no one. Barely worth a mention.

The young lady herself, I certainly salute her adventurous spirit and envy her the opportunity to undertake her adventures, but don't find her rather false and narcissistic attitude very endearing.

As for the condition of the bike and the workshop services provided, I don't know and can't comment. Pity though that what could have been an interesting read on the forum turned out to be a messy boring soap opera.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Dux

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2018, 09:03:03 am »
She's doing what she's doing the way she see's fit to or has to do it.....how many of us get to act out our dreams? I sense some sexual frustration here....  :imaposer:

You feeling horny and not getting any  :biggrin:

Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2018, 12:24:03 pm »
The reality is simple.

The dealership did a job. Their quality control was poor. It did not need a test ride to pick up the gear lever problem just a little common sense and post installation inspection would have picked it up. They could have resolved it before she noticed it. If they had cared...

The off hand way they the mechanic answered her when she was asking about how she was going to do oil changes to the bike also reflect poorly on them.

She clearly got lumped with a dud. She was also poorly advised but then apparently the owner of the bike is German. For Europeans South Africa is a cheap paradise for North Americans South Africa is significantly more expensive with a poorer approach to service. Europeans pay through the nose for service and expect excellent service. They are amazed at how cheap it is here and accept poorer standards as a result. In the states the competition is so fierce the prices are lower and service levels higher than here.

Both of these are simple issues that could have been handled differently and should have absolutely no  bearing on whether the service is paid for or not. I do know a lot of South African mechanics treat women with disdain and assume they don't know anything. The reality is a s simple explanation for the necessary procedure to do the oil change with the cage in place or removed would have gone a long way to making them look good.

No ambush is involved in the video in question. The mechanic and the dealership lost a golden opportunity to market themselves and come off poorly in the video. If they choose not to help other travellers as a result shame on them. I would go there based on all the good reviews from the forum but I would be cautious and I would definitely not send my wife or daughter there for support.

The dealer could have done better. Yes she has a whiny voice.All credit to her though for getting out there and riding. Its more than most do.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

The following users thanked this post: Slim Jim

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2018, 12:28:59 pm »
Let's not knock the mechanic in the video - I know that he knows how to do his job - he is a motorbike mechanic and not an actor or professional YouTube blogger

Some people are really piss poor in front of a camera - like me

He did not really know what to say so he said the first thing that came to his mind and told the truth that he was not asked to ride the bike - I can bet that he did not even fit the crashbars but some junior handlanger was given the job

If Rosie G wanted an articulate peoples person / movie star in her workshop video she should have gone to Runner at Offroad Cycles because he has lots of time and patience and loves explaining things in very articulate detail
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:30:02 pm by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Buddy

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2018, 12:30:49 pm »

Maybe there is a reason she's riding solo    #Just Saying
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2018, 12:31:56 pm »

Maybe there is a reason she's riding solo    #Just Saying

The bike fucked out because it was sick of her
The older I get the faster I was

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:52 pm »
The reality is simple.

The dealership did a job. Their quality control was poor. It did not need a test ride to pick up the gear lever problem just a little common sense and post installation inspection would have picked it up. They could have resolved it before she noticed it. If they had cared...

The off hand way they the mechanic answered her when she was asking about how she was going to do oil changes to the bike also reflect poorly on them.

She clearly got lumped with a dud. She was also poorly advised but then apparently the owner of the bike is German. For Europeans South Africa is a cheap paradise for North Americans South Africa is significantly more expensive with a poorer approach to service. Europeans pay through the nose for service and expect excellent service. They are amazed at how cheap it is here and accept poorer standards as a result. In the states the competition is so fierce the prices are lower and service levels higher than here.

Both of these are simple issues that could have been handled differently and should have absolutely no  bearing on whether the service is paid for or not. I do know a lot of South African mechanics treat women with disdain and assume they don't know anything. The reality is a s simple explanation for the necessary procedure to do the oil change with the cage in place or removed would have gone a long way to making them look good.

No ambush is involved in the video in question. The mechanic and the dealership lost a golden opportunity to market themselves and come off poorly in the video. If they choose not to help other travellers as a result shame on them. I would go there based on all the good reviews from the forum but I would be cautious and I would definitely not send my wife or daughter there for support.

The dealer could have done better. Yes she has a whiny voice.All credit to her though for getting out there and riding. Its more than most do.
Well said sir!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Sam

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2018, 01:42:31 pm »
I have to say that I am embarrased. Embarrassed that dealers in the land we love so much do such substandard work. There is another issue that wasn't resolved by the main workshop mechanic, even being asked specifically by the customer, and given the symptoms to look out for - I suspect more will come out in one of the next episodes.

The discussion shouldn't be about the state of the bike that she used, but rather about the appalling service and blatant "we don't really give a shit attitude" shown by the dealership.

In my opinion, it is sheer laziness and lack of pride in your work if you are too kak sleg to make sure the work you performed is correct by testing the vehicle after.

Any business that delivers this kind of service absolutely deserves to shut down. They are not interested in customer service, don't take pride in their offering or themselves as people and are only in the game to make as much money by doing as little as possible.

I am staggered to see how little disdain there is to find when a customer gets this kind of service, and it is discussed in a public forum. This just tells me most South African's standards are slipping. Who will hold the companies, the government accountable if the people are not willing to speak up/refuse to accept shitty service.

I see guys commenting on the lady's voice, rather than discussing the issue at hand. The same way we constantly punt our beloved country as the land of milk and honey. It simply looks like a lot of head in the sand behaviour if you ask me.

How do we think the world perceives the general ability of South Africans when they see a video like this?

Again, I am embarrassed that this Canadian traveller received this service from my countrymen, and I cannot blame her for telling the world that our motorcycle workshops are a joke.

Bloody shame on you Yamaha dealership in Cape Town!

The view must be spectacular from up there on your high horse.....

You picked all of this substandard work up from a misaligned gear lever?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2018, 02:12:39 pm »
That was a very long video to watch

Moan about the prices
Moan about Cape Town
Moan about Maleria
Moan about the gloves
Moan about security
Moan moan moan..

Yes the crash bars should have been tested.. its really not a big deal and from what I hear it was sorted I would'nt go so far as to say its bad service.. if they refused to fix it then yes I would agree the service would have been bad, should it have been tested.. yes it should have, I agree the dealership lost an opportunity , so did the other place by not having the perfect gloves and the Malaria pill manufacturer also lost out by not providing a pill that is 100% effective..

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »
I don't condone violence but this chick deserves a PK - or at least a verbal version of one

After watching the opening bit of her "Oasis" video it seems she was most fucked over by her "friend" who owns the bike and asked her to ride it back to wherever and told her it was in "perfect" condition and well suited to an extended overland trip ...when it clearly was not

He / She / It also obviously has no clue as to what he is talking about it

Goodbye Rosie G ...and good riddance - in fact don't go ...please just fuck off -  it will be because of you and your videos that us SA bikers and workshop owners will be very reluctant to help and get involved with foreign overland travellers ...you may not steal our soul with your GoPro but you will most certainly fuck us over on YouTube to the rest of the world

I hope that one day a big mossie or bug flies into your mouth and shuts you up with that ridiculous helmet of yours

I hope you enjoy your Bells  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
The fitment of the crashbars was a bum job.....yet the ease with which it was rectified made Rosie a unforgivable twat for putting this incident on youtube.

Making money out of kak Youtube video's, making our people look extra bad, to fund her riding.

Sound not right to me.

And for all that's singing her praise for riding, is she riding or making movies?

Offline ClemS

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2018, 02:51:49 pm »
 :spitcoffee:
The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »
I have to say that I am embarrased. Embarrassed that dealers in the land we love so much do such substandard work. There is another issue that wasn't resolved by the main workshop mechanic, even being asked specifically by the customer, and given the symptoms to look out for - I suspect more will come out in one of the next episodes.

The discussion shouldn't be about the state of the bike that she used, but rather about the appalling service and blatant "we don't really give a shit attitude" shown by the dealership.

In my opinion, it is sheer laziness and lack of pride in your work if you are too kak sleg to make sure the work you performed is correct by testing the vehicle after.

Any business that delivers this kind of service absolutely deserves to shut down. They are not interested in customer service, don't take pride in their offering or themselves as people and are only in the game to make as much money by doing as little as possible.

I am staggered to see how little disdain there is to find when a customer gets this kind of service, and it is discussed in a public forum. This just tells me most South African's standards are slipping. Who will hold the companies, the government accountable if the people are not willing to speak up/refuse to accept shitty service.

I see guys commenting on the lady's voice, rather than discussing the issue at hand. The same way we constantly punt our beloved country as the land of milk and honey. It simply looks like a lot of head in the sand behaviour if you ask me.

How do we think the world perceives the general ability of South Africans when they see a video like this?

Again, I am embarrassed that this Canadian traveller received this service from my countrymen, and I cannot blame her for telling the world that our motorcycle workshops are a joke.

Bloody shame on you Yamaha dealership in Cape Town!

The view must be spectacular from up there on your high horse.....

You picked all of this substandard work up from a misaligned gear lever?
Go watch the video, and you'll realise there are more things in question than just the crash bars.

High horse maybe, I would rather call it high standards. Expecting someone to check their work to make sure that is done properly is not gold standard, it is basics.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2018, 03:42:10 pm »
Funny that all the people who know Helderberg Yamaha, and also the people who have met or heard of dear Rosy before agree.
Even more funny that the people who shout "bad service, poor, brave, brave girl" have not heard of either before this video was posted.

I have trusted Helderberg with a lot of my bikes and will happily refer anyone to them.
I have also met dear Rosy, and I will happily do my best to avoid her and discourage any service provider I know from dealing with her.

The video is a cleverly crafted, one-sided story.

Please fuck off back to where you came from Rosy.

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »
Go watch the video, and you'll realise there are more things in question than just the crash bars.

If you put everything you believe behind just the video, while people who know much more of the background differ from you, the high horse you are on is very naive.

The one part you have right by accident, is that there ie more in question than just the crash bars, as a few have already pointed out - unfortunately not in support of dear Rosy.

Offline ChristiaanJ

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »
Ok Geel Kat. I can see why you feel so strongly about this. You are a customer of the dealership in question.

I am glad you are happy with the service you received, and well done to the dealership for providing you with what you paid for (Which is the minimum requirement)

I maintain my standpoint about what is evident in the video though.