What bike did you learn to ride on & first bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omninorm

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
Mine was a Yamaha DT50. Bought it second hand from a kid who turned 18 and could now ride a big bike. Bought it with money I worked my ass off everywhere I could to save up. Bike cost me R2300. I didn't know how to ride.
Guy brought it to my house I paid he left. Put my helmet on and in the yard just tried to pull away and stop. About 10 min later I was in the street on my way to my mates house who had a tzr50.
Rode that bike to school and everywhere it would take me. R20 to fill up the tank. Had a separate 2 Stroke reservoir that I needed to top maybe once every 10 tanks of petrol.
One would try make it faster in so many ways. Wildcat exhaust, racing carb.
Riding with a helmet. That's it. No gloves no riding jacket. Usually just a school blazer. I eventually got an old leather jacket from grandpa that barely fit.
Headlight was so bad coming home from somewhere  late at night sometimes you hoped what you were seeing was the road. Sometimes it wasn't and you would have to take evasive action.  :lol8: Brakes were bad. You would get maybe 90/100kph down a mines haft with a back wind. Sometimes you would pick up a girlfriend  and go ride somewhere and it would just be a blast.

The days where you made due with what you had because that was your bike. Your wheels. Your freedom. It was the age when if you had a motorcycle you were "Badass"  :imaposer: When you had a motorcycle your swagger got a little better and the girla took notice when you pull up.

:ricky:

So funny how, that bike...your first bike felt big and fast and you did whatever on it and you felt like it was the best thing ever. I have many fond memories. I had 2 other bikes after then got a car and didn't ride till 12 years later.

What was the bike you learnt to ride on and the first bike you baught?