Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph is back in SA  (Read 3167 times)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
Triumph is back in SA
« on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:48 pm »
Yup, as the rumours suggested, the Fury Group, in partnership with Triumph SA's new CEO, Bruce Allen, are the new Triumph importers.

https://thebikeshow.co.za/triumph-new-distributor/

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
Re: Triumph is back in SA
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
Good news indeed. Hope it all works out. The brand deserves some strong representation.
Pass this way once!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:54 pm »
Good news indeed - there is a bit of reputational damage to address though  :(

Offline LionBuell

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »
One dealer in Jhb by yer end and another in Pretoria in 2020. Yoh that is a long gap.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:50 pm »
That is good news for owners and will not stop Triumph fans from buying them. We should see new models again around next year I hope.
It is a shame that the KMSA and Triumph relations did come to an end though, there was at least a fair dealership support.
I got the impression that Triumph was doing rather well at some stage. Hope it works out. :thumleft:

Offline Jaakmh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:34:41 pm »
It better work out. I just took delivery of my XC 800 yesterday

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »
Vaguely the same thing happened to Hyundai cars when they first entered SA, it set them back a bit, but they came back very strong.

I hope the same for Triumph.

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »
One dealer in Jhb by yer end and another in Pretoria in 2020. Yoh that is a long gap.

There are a few independent Triumph outlets in the JHB - PTA area which are well stocked with parts & accessories, as well as good workshops.

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 09:02:09 pm »
 Now I'm the moer in with myself for not buying a Thruxton, when they were just about being given away >:(
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline plonker

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:26 pm »
Personally.......coming back with a marginal brand , I cant see them doing any better than Kawa SA. Not in the SA economy. SA has changed people. We are not a huge country of biking anymore. The new young South Africans aren't interested in biking as such. Only being able to buy a flash cage. Those people who can afford bikes are buying BMW's , Harleys etc. and those others are getting 125's for transport to school are varsity. Tell me I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:12:09 pm by plonker »

Offline Dux

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 09:18:16 pm »
Personally.......coming back with a marginal brand , I cant see them doing any better than Kawa SA. Not in the SA economy. SA has changed people. We are not a huge country of biking anymore. The new young South Africans aren't interested in biking as such. Only being able to buy a flash cage. Those people who can afford bikes are buying BMW's , Harleys etc. and those others are getting 125's for transport to school are varsity. Tell me I'm wrong.

Ok , you're wrong
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dux

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 09:19:12 pm »
Now I'm the moer in with myself for not buying a Thruxton, when they were just about being given away >:(

You should have bought one , it is one of the most fun bikes I have ridden  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:50:41 pm »

Ok , you're wrong

He is quite right.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 10:09:58 pm »

Nope your are fortunately wrong mate. My son is 21, and he and his mates are all into biking. From plastic bikes all the way through to super bikes, nakeds which most of them ride and to a less extend dual purpose bikes. One of his buddies (same age) recently bought a KTM1090 and I am not only talking about their group of friends. When he went to collage I was there the first day with him and there were a number of nice bikes (not even one 125) in the parking area. When he worked in Randburg a number of the apprentices had bikes, and all of them think it is 'cool' and talk bike. So on the contrary, I think it is actually growing  :)

Offline Metiger

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 07:40:02 am »
That is good news for owners and will not stop Triumph fans from buying them. We should see new models again around next year I hope.
It is a shame that the KMSA and Triumph relations did come to an end though, there was at least a fair dealership support.
I got the impression that Triumph was doing rather well at some stage. Hope it works out. :thumleft:

I suspect you will not need to wait until next year to see the new Triumphs. The Bike Festival is near the end of May and I think they will have the new Tigers on display . They cannot wait a year to start selling again so they will be working full steam ahead .

Offline jangys

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:14 am »
I am happy to read that Triumph is back in SA. The issue for me is that there wont be dealerships in Mpumalanga, who is going to service my bike in Nelspruit..??

The downside is that customers will need to drive further to get to the dealership, possibly even having to catch an aeroplane. For 2018, Triumph South Africa will be running from their Johannesburg store, but there are plans to open a Cape Town dealership in 2019 and a Pretoria dealership in 2020. Triumph say that they will assist in arranging transport for customers not living near dealerships, plus the previous Triumph dealerships in Edenvale, Centurion, Boksburg, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth will continue operating as service centres. Also, they will honour any previous Triumph warranties.

Transporting ones bike to JHB is a maybe solution from a dealership point of view, but with the client questions will remain like:

- Who will transport the bike
- What about insurance
- How long will you be without a bike
- What about if the customer is not happy with the service and needs to discuss or have the bike re-looked over

All good and well, but that personal interaction with clients not in JHB will not happen. I am not convinced..
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:57:45 am by jangys »

Offline ClemS

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 07:56:50 am »

Quote from the article:

"plus the previous Triumph dealerships in Edenvale, Centurion, Boksburg, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth will continue operating as service centres."

The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 08:19:58 am »
 :ricky: the more the merrier.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Buddy

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:44 am »
 Oh my! I'm not going to shut Bob up while he starts gunning the Red Rooster with pommie chirps again  :biggrin: He was quiet for a while, but now he'll be on top form.  :thumleft:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 08:58:28 am »

Bit shiddy for the independents that they are only able to operate as service centers. Okes like Traditional Triumph are pretty much what has kept the brand going

Quote from the article:

"plus the previous Triumph dealerships in Edenvale, Centurion, Boksburg, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth will continue operating as service centres."

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~