Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph is back in SA  (Read 3166 times)

Offline HeeBs

Re: Triumph is back in SA
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
Personally.......coming back with a marginal brand , I cant see them doing any better than Kawa SA. Not in the SA economy. SA has changed people. We are not a huge country of biking anymore. The new young South Africans aren't interested in biking as such. Only being able to buy a flash cage. Those people who can afford bikes are buying BMW's , Harleys etc. and those others are getting 125's for transport to school are varsity. Tell me I'm wrong.

I see a huge increase in biking from the black-middle class. Every meeting / rally I've been to, there are more and more black bikers. This is a huge market that is discovering biking.
From my lilly white point of view, most black guys shunned bikes but that seems to be changing. However I'm not sure if these "new" bikers are into foreign bikes. I see mostly the Jap bikes and Harleys.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
Personally.......coming back with a marginal brand , I cant see them doing any better than Kawa SA. Not in the SA economy. SA has changed people. We are not a huge country of biking anymore. The new young South Africans aren't interested in biking as such. Only being able to buy a flash cage. Those people who can afford bikes are buying BMW's , Harleys etc. and those others are getting 125's for transport to school are varsity. Tell me I'm wrong.

I see a huge increase in biking from the black-middle class. Every meeting / rally I've been to, there are more and more black bikers. This is a huge market that is discovering biking.
From my lilly white point of view, most black guys shunned bikes but that seems to be changing. However I'm not sure if these "new" bikers are into foreign bikes. I see mostly the Jap bikes and Harleys.

Yup, particularly Sport bikes and Harleys.
Fantastic imho. More people should ride motorcycles for fun and even more should use them to commute.
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Buddy

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 02:30:23 pm »

Yip, Triumphs would be considered "Colonialist". Until of course they discover the Rocket  :lol8:
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Skolla

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 08:40:03 am »
I'm glad to see that MHM Cape Town will still do our triumph's that included warranty bikes,big thanks to them(FB) :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 09:42:30 am »

Interesting point.
I have also noticed more coloured bikers, it is a good thing and I hope that it will increase.
The few that I have met have been very polite and immediately friendly to a fellow biker.
Definitely the attitude we need in this country.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 01:34:48 pm »
if the price is right , and the service is right , they will be successful
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 03:49:43 pm »
Rather amusing to me to see that Japanese brands and Harleys are not seen as foreign (are they domestic?) in South Africa, but apparently Triumphs are. Presumably the same goes for the German, Austrian, Italian and other nationalities, filthy foreigners all of 'em.

Send them back to where they came from. That's what I say!  :pot:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 05:28:09 pm »
Did they ever leave?  :peepwall:

Seems they merely changed distributors.
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 05:34:49 pm »

There were about three months when you couldn’t buy a new Triumph. Also, there were about five months when we didn’t know for sure if there’d be a new distributor.

Offline Herklaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 05:43:18 pm »

Ok , you're wrong

:sip: Ok Dux, I hope you arew right, that, he is wrong.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.And, the latest 1989 Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

There were about three months when you couldn’t buy a new Triumph. Also, there were about five months when we didn’t know for sure if there’d be a new distributor.

I hear you. But don’t really believe that Triumph would have pulled out.

If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »

I hear you. But don’t really believe that Triumph would have pulled out.

They did pull out. And they signed a contract with the new guys only in February. If that had fallen apart they’d still be searching.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 07:24:09 pm »
Ok since they are here to stay, what new models is in the lineup? I know the 1200 is now almost entirely a new bike for 2018 since a lot of changes has been made. I still think that they rule the 'retro look' in the bonnieville twin model series. That Truxton is just the most stunning bike as well. Hope their pricing will be competitive.
Not sure if the 800 XCX will sell any longer because shortly before they hit the bump with KMSA it was selling same price as the Honda AT and the AT in my opinion just a lot more bike and value. Would be interesting to hear Triumph models lineup and news.

Offline plonker

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 07:38:02 pm »
Triumph is am awesome brand and I have huge respect for what John Bloor has done. However when you leave a country and all the bikes are discounted by the previous supplier to try and reduce their losses it creates bad taste in peoples mouths and that wont be forgotten overnight. A bit like GM coming back next year and saying sorry can we be friends again and will you buy shit loads of our vehicles................NO WE WON'T.   :pot:

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 07:38:28 pm »
Honda are having huge specials on AT,s trying to clear stock before the new spec arrives (seriously annoying guys who bought at full price) You can get an ABS traction control model for R142k. The 800 tigers also appear to be an all new model and I would imagine they would be priced similarly to the new AT and soon to be launched 850gs
Pass this way once!

Offline WildWood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 07:40:34 pm »
The way I read the press release is for the next year or two there'll be no franchises outside of J/Burg/Pretoria.

The previous Triumph dealers will only have access to spare parts but won't be stocking new bikes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't see the brand surviving if this is the case. Sadly.

Offline LionBuell

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »
The way I read the press release is for the next year or two there'll be no franchises outside of J/Burg/Pretoria.

The previous Triumph dealers will only have access to spare parts but won't be stocking new bikes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with most of what you say.
I think triumph is a good brand with a good product. They have always been selling bikes maybe not fantastic numbers. They also have quite a loyal fan base.
But yes waiting so long to get new blood in might stun the inroads they could have made with the new models.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 10:19:11 pm »

I understand the concern, but may I suggest a case study - Ducati. They have only recently opened a Cape Town dealership, and yet they have been selling more units than South Africa ever has out of their sole Johannesburg store.

Offline plonker

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:35 pm »
I would kinda put Ducati in a different league to Triumph. Duc more like Porsche and Ferrari.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 06:26:41 am »
I would kinda put Ducati in a different league to Triumph. Duc more like Porsche and Ferrari.
Somehow I think what 2 Stroke meant has been missed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.