Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph is back in SA  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Metiger

Re: Triumph is back in SA
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:48 am »
I think close to 70% of Triumphs sold are in Johannesburg/ Centurion area . They need to make sure these areas are kept happy.
Ducati were not selling well until Tobby took over and closed all dealerships and opened the dealership in Randburg .

Offline jangys

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:55 am »
I think close to 70% of Triumphs sold are in Johannesburg/ Centurion area . They need to make sure these areas are kept happy.
Ducati were not selling well until Tobby took over and closed all dealerships and opened the dealership in Randburg .

Maybe, but maybe not. I believe that the only reason for this, is due to a dealership network issue across the country. If Triumph have a adequate, properly equipped and managed dealership network across SA, the stats will be different.

I still believe their new concept of only having a dealership/service centre per province is not going to work in South Africa, people buy with their eyes, and measure against service in their own town etc. Having to now travel 300km to have your bike service is not being service orientated, I would have to look at another brand which is able to provide the service to my convenience and not that of the brand.

Offline Metiger

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:19 pm »

Maybe, but maybe not. I believe that the only reason for this, is due to a dealership network issue across the country. If Triumph have a adequate, properly equipped and managed dealership network across SA, the stats will be different.

I still believe their new concept of only having a dealership/service centre per province is not going to work in South Africa, people buy with their eyes, and measure against service in their own town etc. Having to now travel 300km to have your bike service is not being service orientated, I would have to look at another brand which is able to provide the service to my convenience and not that of the brand.

I am not saying I agree with what Triumph is doing . I just know that Triumph UK is pushing the Global store concept . I like shopping at my local dealer . I currently own a BMW and I hate going to the dealerships as they are cold and its all about the sale .

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »
I was just thinking back about how much good (great) work A Olivier has done for Triumph SA - They were growing steadily and no matter where I came there were always loyal Triumph followers. I do not know how they were doing sales wise compared to the Japanese bikes but I always found them everywhere on the road, breakfast runs etc. I agree that the target market was Gaugteng, although they were taking off in Western Cape as well. The new CEO or marketing director (whatever title) is going to have a big task promoting the brand to new customers but I have no doubt that most of the 'old Triumph' bikers will stay with the brand given the prices are fair.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 03:30:48 pm »
The way I read the press release is for the next year or two there'll be no franchises outside of J/Burg/Pretoria.

The previous Triumph dealers will only have access to spare parts but won't be stocking new bikes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't see the brand surviving if this is the case. Sadly.

I understand the concern, but may I suggest a case study - Ducati. They have only recently opened a Cape Town dealership, and yet they have been selling more units than South Africa ever has out of their sole Johannesburg store.

Ducati CT as I hear Johannesburg has excellent customer service and they have arguably a more varied catalogue.
Also everyone knows what Ducati stands for...it's a little different to Triumph who imho i inda still trying to etch out a "who we are" vs other bikes. I think their Scrambler type bikes might actually get them there.

All in all I do think their bikes are nice and the more competition and variety we have the better. I wish the new guys the best of luck.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline blauth

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2018, 09:44:04 pm »
Triumph have a very strong idea of who they are.....and always have. Nothing they have now is new conceptually. They have led the retro charge, been in the adventure game for a long time since their tiger range has been around for many years. Their triple has been an iconic bike for as long and in the super bike stake, they haven't been a leader by any means but they have been in this game for a long time too.

I wouldn't confuse your ignorance of the brand with their own self identity.

Triumph has grown globally and the ruckus locally has as much to do with our weak economy as it has to do with the pig headed lack of understanding that the Triumph UK think our economy can withstand or deliver.

Offline Metiger

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 01:32:06 pm »
Press launch happening today so we should get more info soon .

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 03:51:16 pm »
Triumph have a very strong idea of who they are.....and always have. Nothing they have now is new conceptually. They have led the retro charge, been in the adventure game for a long time since their tiger range has been around for many years. Their triple has been an iconic bike for as long and in the super bike stake, they haven't been a leader by any means but they have been in this game for a long time too.

Triumph has grown globally and the ruckus locally has as much to do with our weak economy as it has to do with the pig headed lack of understanding that the Triumph UK think our economy can withstand or deliver.

Ok inform me then since I obviously didn't get the message. I get Harleys,I get Ducati's I get KTM's, I get BMW's and so on I can probably sum all of theirs up in a few words. what is Triumph's? Genuine question.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:52:35 pm by Omninorm »
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline blauth

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 09:10:10 pm »

Ok inform me then since I obviously didn't get the message. I get Harleys,I get Ducati's I get KTM's, I get BMW's and so on I can probably sum all of theirs up in a few words. what is Triumph's? Genuine question.

Triumph has been building bikes for over a century. They have more motorcycle heritage than almost every other brand that exists today. In fact, you could almost call them the granddad of enduro motorcycles, after all Steve McQueen and the then desert racing started off a whole segment of motorcycle manufacture.

I can't say I understand your statement about Triumph not knowing who they are. It's kinda like saying "Yamaha don't know who they are" because they build super bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers, adventure bikes, side by sides, boat engines, musical equipment ...the list goes on. Triumph are a focused motorcycle manufacturer (dabbled in cars very successfully too) and a damn good manufacturers at that. They've been smart enough to embrace their rich heritage and capitalize on it with their retro range that they've dominated rather convincingly. You need to understand that they were insolvent just before 2000 and started up again. They're small compared to the likes of Honda, Yamaha etc. despite their size, they have been making a huge dent in the market share in their niche segments...being retro, adventure and naked performance bikes. They've had a few pearls too like the Triumph Rocket.

You won't easily find a Triumph owner who isn't passionate about Triumph motorcycles. They have something very special about them....granted, my experience is mainly with the retro range but of the most user friendly and reliable bikes I've owned.

This debacle locally is just unfortunate.

Online Sheepman

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 09:23:12 pm »

Triumph has been building bikes for over a century. They have more motorcycle heritage than almost every other brand that exists today. In fact, you could almost call them the granddad of enduro motorcycles, after all Steve McQueen and the then desert racing started off a whole segment of motorcycle manufacture.

I can't say I understand your statement about Triumph not knowing who they are. It's kinda like saying "Yamaha don't know who they are" because they build super bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers, adventure bikes, side by sides, boat engines, musical equipment ...the list goes on. Triumph are a focused motorcycle manufacturer (dabbled in cars very successfully too) and a damn good manufacturers at that. They've been smart enough to embrace their rich heritage and capitalize on it with their retro range that they've dominated rather convincingly. You need to understand that they were insolvent just before 2000 and started up again. They're small compared to the likes of Honda, Yamaha etc. despite their size, they have been making a huge dent in the market share in their niche segments...being retro, adventure and naked performance bikes. They've had a few pearls too like the Triumph Rocket.

You won't easily find a Triumph owner who isn't passionate about Triumph motorcycles. They have something very special about them....granted, my experience is mainly with the retro range but of the most user friendly and reliable bikes I've owned.

This debacle locally is just unfortunate.

[/quote

Agree - one cannot have an armchair view ( or google view ) of Triumph motorcycles to voice an opinion on the brand......What happened in SA was directly because of the importer and its relationship with Triumph UK ( and the SA economy )

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:58 pm »
I think my question/statement came across a bit different than I wanted it to but anyway. My question does comes from an "Armchair" / Ignorant view. The only Triumphs I've ridden is a is a Street Triple R 675 , 1200 Explorer and a 800XC.
I found them all to be brilliant feeling engines but thats kinda where it stopped for me. Hard to explain I suppose.

The fact that they floundered sales wise / Kawasaki SA wise is a pity indeed and I hope they get back up and do well.

Offline blauth

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 10:24:46 pm »
I think my question/statement came across a bit different than I wanted it to but anyway. My question does comes from an "Armchair" / Ignorant view. The only Triumphs I've ridden is a is a Street Triple R 675 , 1200 Explorer and a 800XC.
I found them all to be brilliant feeling engines but thats kinda where it stopped for me. Hard to explain I suppose.

The fact that they floundered sales wise / Kawasaki SA wise is a pity indeed and I hope they get back up and do well.

I owned an 800XC. It was great and ran well but it was for me much the same as the BMW F800GS that I had.....it didn't stir the demon in me. Now I've owned six Bonnie's (three scramblers and three T100's.) my favorite was the oldest, a 2001 790 T100. What a fantastic bike! So easy to live with and fall in love with. The Bonnie's are the only motorcycles that I've either made a profit on or not made a loss. Absolute gems. My next one will be a thruxton 900. Can't afford the new gen 1200's

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »

I owned an 800XC. It was great and ran well but it was for me much the same as the BMW F800GS that I had.....it didn't stir the demon in me. Now I've owned six Bonnie's (three scramblers and three T100's.) my favorite was the oldest, a 2001 790 T100. What a fantastic bike! So easy to live with and fall in love with. The Bonnie's are the only motorcycles that I've either made a profit on or not made a loss. Absolute gems. My next one will be a thruxton 900. Can't afford the new gen 1200's

Look if there is one Triumph I really wont mind owning at all it's something like this Scrambler.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 12:48:01 am »
We all are on the same page here. I have never owned anything other than the triple's but yes the bonnie's move the soul sure thing!  :laughing4: :thumleft:
I will defiantly love a T100 in my garage. The 1200 Bonnie's are gems but they are expensive.
Must say I did enjoy the 1050 Sprint quite a lot. It is not a real super bike, more like a sport tourer (not sure what the fancy name is) but that bike was also a lot of fun to ride at the time.

Well, let's see how the new Triumph Manne do!

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:31 am »
Personally.......coming back with a marginal brand , I cant see them doing any better than Kawa SA. Not in the SA economy. SA has changed people. We are not a huge country of biking anymore. The new young South Africans aren't interested in biking as such. Only being able to buy a flash cage. Those people who can afford bikes are buying BMW's , Harleys etc. and those others are getting 125's for transport to school are varsity. Tell me I'm wrong.

You are  wrong.   Triumph was not a marginal brand, actually doing very well and holding their values.   Also believe it or not but judging by the growing amounts of bikes in the traffic chaos of Cape Town, i think there is a lot of growth in the market.  Also   BMW and Harley are loosing popularity,  for instance the Honda AT is slaughtering the GS 800, Triumph has very popular models that BMW does not even compete with, and the Indian is just so much better than a Harley.

Offline jangys

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:42 am »
Triumph being a good product has never been disputed by myself. Loved the bike. But due to the way we were treated, and also the way forward, I am looking for more customer oriented service, than, sorry but this is what we going to do, like it or dont kind of attitude.

I am relocating to Nelspruit beginning of April, Triumph unfortunately does not have a support network in Mpumalanga. I took an almost R100 000.00 knock on a 2016 Triumph 1200 XCA with al the bells and whistles you can imaginally think off.

My new pride and joy..

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:39 am »
A buddy of mine just bought a KTM 1290A. KTM offered him R110k Trade in on his Explorer 1200XCA. He paid R229K for it September last year a month before KMSA pulled the plug and offered those specials. Needless to say he aint a happy camper.

The bike/Brand is awesome and like some others in SA are let down by there dealer network/back up. I hope that Triumph flourish with this new venture. Time will tell.
Pass this way once!

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »
i called the "New" Triumph shop on Tuesday to verify info on a Tiger 800 and was helped very quickly and efficiently, there are a couple of people there that were involved with either triiumph HQ at KMSA or at the dealers so there is some continuity.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 01:09:51 pm »
What is a Triumph all about..here is a sentimental response... its the little things that just add so much pleasure, a Triumph is a giver, not a taker.   I own a Tiger 800XCX, have done 25 000km on it and still keep discovering how much fun it is, that the motor loves to rev, and how much more it has to offer.  I love the quality little touches that add so much to ownership,  for instance I wanted to charge my phone on one long trip,  no problem here is a 12v socket,  oh wait there is another on the side of the seat, a seat that you can easily adjust for height, suspension that is top quality and adjustable, it is a bike that keeps giving.  For instance the electronics have cruise control, then you discover that ABS can be switched off, or left on in off-road setting and it works a treat.  Same with traction control.  Recently I started using the sport setting on the throttle which is so much fun and changes the bike completely,   then on a long ride my foot was getting tired from all the standing and hey, I discovered,  Triumph had added a little pad on the side just perfect to rest my heal on.  Its strong too, well protected as my little off into a thorn tree in soft sand saw no damage.  Other bikes seem to give you the bare minimum, they are takers, wanting you to spend more and more, on all the bits that are missing and left off.  Yes its still only a bloody bike, but one I really feel has given me so much value and fun.  A friend I can abuse.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 01:17:17 pm »
Congrats with your new bike Jangys - BMW sure do have great service in SA  :thumleft:

However here is another take (my view) owning a Triumph in SA.

How often do these machines break, or any bike for that matter especially a newish bike? I did buy a 1987 Suz 550, and a 1979 Honda four and put silly kilometers on them. Yet they were years off the market and not spares over the counter. I did all my servicesself which was in my opinion much more difficult on the old machines having tostrip and clean 4 x carbs and then synchronize again (I used old oxygen airflo meters I scored at work which was stripped from old ambulances) If I needed any 'new parts' I went to bike hospital in Jhb and got even gasket sets! Some stuff needed rewinding to make my electricals work when I was far over 100k km and it goes one.

What I am trying to say is this; We know of many people that have Triumps now with real high kilometers on them, just have a look on the UK Triumph forums. There they have on the contrary many ex GS owners riding Triumph now again. So my take in it in short is; if you like Triump or Ducatti of whatever....just follow your heart and ride it! The world became very small since we can now buy stuff on the internet and import.

But Ok, each to his own - and please dont read my post with a tone because there is nothing to it. Just friendly reasoning about how I do/feel andI think the are more sharing my view.  :thumleft: