Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Twin newbie  (Read 3789 times)

Offline BikerJan

Re: Africa Twin newbie
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:06 am »
Am I the only one that seems to think the OEM Dunlop tyres are super kak? On tar the rear break locks up with skiding tyres at just over what I would call moderate breaking. I have had a few big ds bikes without abs fitted with Michelin,Bridgestone etc with out rears locking up. Even cornering not overly hard they just feel like they going to let go at any moment.

Took mine off after 1000km and 3 snake bite punctures. Gave the front tyre away. No one wants the rear one

I replaced my tyres with TKC 80's after 50 km's.

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:28 pm »
Am I the only one that seems to think the OEM Dunlop tyres are super kak? On tar the rear break locks up with skiding tyres at just over what I would call moderate breaking. I have had a few big ds bikes without abs fitted with Michelin,Bridgestone etc with out rears locking up. Even cornering not overly hard they just feel like they going to let go at any moment.

Took mine off after 1000km and 3 snake bite punctures. Gave the front tyre away. No one wants the rear one

And how many Km did you get from the TKC's?
Where are my shorts??

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2018, 12:22:26 pm »

And how many Km did you get from the TKC's?

I have done about 1 500 km's with them to date. Do not expect to get more than about 3 500 to 4 000 km's with the rear

Offline dieseldawie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
so no good for commuting then??

I put on the Scorpio trails over 13000 km so far and plenty tread left
Where are my shorts??

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2018, 12:35:50 pm »
Also got rid of those OEM tyres quite quickly.
Replaced with E-07 rear and MT21 front. Very happy so far
KTM 1190 R
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline BB King

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 01:08:36 pm »
You mean the ticking sound?? Sounds like it comes from the right hand side(-ish) damn straight. Mine and a buddy's both.
I've tried getting it to temperature and switching off and back on, still there until its ridden.

So now that i have a few miles under the belt and getting to learn about the machine I have 3 observations if you could help me with to say if normal or not.

1: There is a rattle noise in the engine when accelerating only when cold/first started. As soon as the engine gets to operating temperature (3 bars) it disappears completely and is not there at any stage when idling.

Your entire way of life is bullshit, macho is bullshit! - 1 8 7

The enjoyment of not thinking, makes riding awesome!!

Offline BB King

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »
You mean the ticking sound?? Sounds like it comes from the right hand side(-ish) damn straight. Mine and a buddy's both.
I've tried getting it to temperature and switching off and back on, still there until its ridden.

So now that i have a few miles under the belt and getting to learn about the machine I have 3 observations if you could help me with to say if normal or not.

1: There is a rattle noise in the engine when accelerating only when cold/first started. As soon as the engine gets to operating temperature (3 bars) it disappears completely and is not there at any stage when idling.

and mine is going on 2 years old.
Your entire way of life is bullshit, macho is bullshit! - 1 8 7

The enjoyment of not thinking, makes riding awesome!!

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2018, 03:31:47 pm »

and mine is going on 2 years old.
Different to the sound i described above but yes I also have that ticking sound. Getting used to all the sounds now
Pass this way once!