Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rebuilding the Swartberg Pass  (Read 667 times)

Offline Trygve Roberts

Rebuilding the Swartberg Pass
« on: March 08, 2018, 02:08:13 pm »

The damage from the April 2017 flash flood left this northern sector of the Swartberg Pass from Malvadraai through to the exit of the kloof completely devastated. What was originally scheduled to be an 18 month repair job, was achieved in half that time, with the pass being opened to traffic by November last year. There is only one short section of about 100m just north of Tweede Water that still needs repair work before the job is completed.

The photo above was taken on the 11th February and the transformation from rock strewn devastation to this perfectly restored road is seriously impressive. Note the perfectly packed retaining walls (Thomas Bain style) where the modern 'padmakers' managed to rebuild the walls to look almost exactly like the original. In our news release today, we feature our brand new 7 part video series, filmed with the new GoPro6 in 1080HD with a stabiliser - the result is silky smooth footage which is a real pleasure to watch. We were able to dig up a lot more history on the pass, which is available via the soundtrack of the video set.

Keep a look out for the 1919 Model T Ford in video #6. Enjoy guys. Talk again next week.

http://bit.ly/2FxD1cx

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

Re: Rebuilding the Swartberg Pass
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:37 am »
The speedy repair is indeed impressive, especially given that it is not a slap-dash job, quite the opposite in fact. :thumleft:

Still my favourite SA pass. :thumleft:

Offline TravellersRestPrinceAlber

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:44 pm »
Heres a picture of the entrance but facing the other way. Obviously before the repairs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:13:39 pm by TravellersRestPrinceAlber »
Him: Honda camino, Suzuki GP100, Suzuki GT200X5, Countless KH250's,GT185's and Honda wetdreams. Kawasaki Z400J, Honda CB900F, Suzuki GSX550ES, Honda CB600F. Kawasaki ZXR750H2, Kawasaki ZZR600, Ducati 749, BMW 1150GS
Her: Honda XL125Varadeo, Kawasaki ER6F, Kawasaki 650 Versys.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:38:16 pm »
Great job.  8)

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Casting from Turd

• I am the reason my children will never have kids
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »
I see there is a Mahindra parked there. Yours?

Mooi job that on the pass.
Western Cape I take it  :peepwall: :imaposer:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com