Losing or dropping a cylinder.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
MY Honda CB 750 gets ridden every 2, sometimes 3 and sometimes every 4th week. Not enough I know.
It’s the second time now that it happened, that it only runs on 3 cylinders. I say this because I can year it missing, and one Header is not near as hot as the other 3 after a short drive, and I can feel some loss of power too. Some time ago it dropped cylinder no 1 (if I recall correctly), and last night it was cylinder no 4.
It seems to correct itself, as it won’t have the same issue with the next start up..  I serviced the bike almost 2 years ago, but has not even done 2000Km since then. 
My take is: it could be the spark plug, the plug lead, or the coil. I guess I can swop some plugs around, and check again, and will have to test the coils with my Multimeter.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Anything else that could cause this?
Any ideas or comments as to why this could be happening?
Any comments regarding the actual testing of the spark plugs, plug leads, and or the coil appreciated.

PS: I do recall a Polo I had long ago that had the issue of intermitted power...and that issue was the plug leads...lol