Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Moto Guzzi V85  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
Re: Moto Guzzi V85
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »
I recon Moto Guzzi have a winner there. I would certainly buy one.
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline Sabre

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 11:05:32 pm »
Seems its only due for release in 2021. Damn, its a long time to wait.  :-\

Ek is SO bly, want as hy hier aankom is ek in die skuld !  :P

Die V85 is my rekenaar agtergrond; ek oog hom daagliks
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 06:12:12 am »
Seems its only due for release in 2021. Damn, its a long time to wait.  :-\

Ek is SO bly, want as hy hier aankom is ek in die skuld !  :P

Die V85 is my rekenaar agtergrond; ek oog hom daagliks

Myne ook  :laughing4:

Offline volroom

• I'm loving it
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 09:37:45 am »
If this was to be purchased for the purpose of riding some serious off road, I would be hesitant. this is more an attempt to get a little bit of the adventure market, than a serious attempt to build an off-road worthy bike. plus off course, they don't have experience building such bikes. if you want to ride this more on than off road, it should be fine. if you do gravel highway, perhaps. I can imagine that the bike is a write off as well, with just a minor off. that tank..
2003 R1150GS

Online Solo

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 09:44:56 am »
If this was to be purchased for the purpose of riding some serious off road, I would be hesitant. this is more an attempt to get a little bit of the adventure market, than a serious attempt to build an off-road worthy bike. plus off course, they don't have experience building such bikes. if you want to ride this more on than off road, it should be fine. if you do gravel highway, perhaps. I can imagine that the bike is a write off as well, with just a minor off. that tank..

https://www.odd-bike.com/2014/04/moto-guzzi-v-twin-off-roaders.html?m=1

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:06 am »
I will just leave this here ... and I quote from above link 8)

"Moto Guzzi has come full circle. After apeing the BMW G/S with their half-baked but charming TT, they are now making a bloated faux-enduro tourer aimed squarely at stealing market share from that caricature of an off-roader that is the R1200GS. Long gone are the weird V-twin powered oversized enduros that could be coaxed into traversing the globe or running the Dakar: today Guzzi has joined the leagues of BMW knockoffs pandering to middle-aged riders with marketing-driven dreams of globe-conquering go-anywhere adventures in their minds - and hernia-inducing tipovers in the Starbucks parking lot in their reality. Moto Guzzi's previous attempts at off-roaders were the best kind of unholy abominations that have been forgotten in the rush to build the biggest two-wheeled equivalent of a sport utility vehicle that can turn a profit. The TT, NTX and Quota will remain obscure skeletons in the Piaggio corporate closet, relics of an era when Moto Guzzi was still weird enough to be interesting and dumb enough to be daring, and were happy to leave the dull profit chasing to the Japanese and German bean counters."

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 11:10:04 am »

"Moto Guzzi has come full circle. After apeing the BMW G/S with their half-baked but charming TT, they are now making a bloated faux-enduro tourer aimed squarely at stealing market share from that caricature of an off-roader that is the R1200GS. Long gone are the weird V-twin powered oversized enduros that could be coaxed into traversing the globe or running the Dakar: today Guzzi has joined the leagues of BMW knockoffs pandering to middle-aged riders with marketing-driven dreams of globe-conquering go-anywhere adventures in their minds - and hernia-inducing tipovers in the Starbucks parking lot in their reality. Moto Guzzi's previous attempts at off-roaders were the best kind of unholy abominations that have been forgotten in the rush to build the biggest two-wheeled equivalent of a sport utility vehicle that can turn a profit. The TT, NTX and Quota will remain obscure skeletons in the Piaggio corporate closet, relics of an era when Moto Guzzi was still weird enough to be interesting and dumb enough to be daring, and were happy to leave the dull profit chasing to the Japanese and German bean counters."

Ouch!
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 11:59:26 am »

Ouch!

How boring it all would be if we were all HP2 andKTMriders. What would we talk about ?
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 12:28:10 pm »

Ouch!

How boring it all would be if we were all HP2 andKTMriders. What would we talk about ?

Ja and there are so many HP2 riders around, and such a boring bike hey? Grumpy Oom vandag? Will the Vespa not start?

Personally have had a bit of a soft spot for Guzzi's myself, esp the Le Mans 2.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:51:43 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 01:10:10 pm »

Ouch!

Ja and there are so many HP2 riders around, and such a boring bike hey? Grumpy oom vandag?

Personally have had a bit of a soft spot for Guzzi's myself, esp the Le Mans 2.  ::)

I remember in about 1980, jumping off my modified GS750B onto a mates Guzzi, the GS was awesome but a UJM all revs not so much bottom end, the Guzzi was like an elastic band power delivery, found it so different the way it just grew and launched you forward.   :biggrin:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Online Solo

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 04:49:49 pm »

For the sake of clarity, the journo is referring to the Stelvio. It did weight a "hernia-inducing" 304kg.

The V85 is rumoured to be 195kg dry. Beautiful bike.

My impression is that Moto Guzzi cater for bikers that prefer to live outside the sheep pen.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 04:52:23 pm »
Though not a V85 this custom V9 is rather easy on the eye.

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2018/03/16/moto-guzzi-v9-urban-scrambler.html

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Offshore

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 06:21:23 pm »

For the sake of clarity, the journo is referring to the Stelvio. It did weight a "hernia-inducing" 304kg.

My impression is that Moto Guzzi cater for bikers that prefer to live outside the sheep pen.
Well spoken Solo.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:07 pm »

Keep in mind that KTM riders today fall smack-bang in the "sheep-pen", if you look at numbers. Outside the sheep-pen you find Guzzi, Royal Enfield, etc.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 08:02:28 pm »

That caricature of an off roader that is the R1200GS. How stunningly true.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 09:00:52 pm »

So what. I still think it looks stunning, and will buy it
Journalists express opinions. I might have a different opinion
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline FIXER

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Om te MEET is om te WEET.
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »
I have had a few different bikes over a period of 40 years and the Stelvio is by far the best suitable to my present needs. I think it is stupid for a 65 plus person to do serious technical offroad on a heavy DS bike, but on any other road it is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. It is a bike with soul, I can't describe it any other way. It is old school but modern, without too much modern electronics. No riding modes, but ABS and traction control. I love this bike as no other, now on 30 000 plus km and will buy that V 85, even if I have to sell every other bike I have, except the Stelvio!
Honda CB50, Yamaha 175DT, Honda 125XL, Yamaha XT250, BMW R80RT, R100RT, R80 G/S,  Hp2 (Eina!)  R1200 GS, Vespa GTS, Honda AT, R100 GS PD, Lambretta 150dl   (Geskiedenis)                             
 Ural Sidecar, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Vespa P200E.

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:47 am »
Thing is this, like with any of my bikes... I'm going to buy it with my money and ride it. Who gives a shit what any of you think  :lamer:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:56 am »
Thing is this, like with any of my bikes... I'm going to buy it with my money and ride it. Who gives a shit what any of you think  :lamer:

True Story.  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:16:20 am by BiG DoM »

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 11:32:13 am »

True Story.  :peepwall:

:thumleft: You just need to let go. Life can actually be fun  :lol8: Next year when you a geriatric, you must try it.  :imaposer: