Bali to Labuan Bojo (and the Komodo Dragons), Indonesia - October 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
As the title says, I am planning a ride in October from Bali to the small port town of Labuan Bojo. This is part of my ongoing exploration of Indonesia looking at routes and I am inviting those interested in joining to do so. I just did a 4 days trip part of the way (ride report and pics are here: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=221740.0) and this will be a continuation of this trip. Some of the small print

- Trip is going to be in October and be around 10 days with a day each side for flight. The reason for this is November onward the rainy season kicks in and its unpleasant to try ride dirt roads in jungles in downpours. October will have the occasional rain but its warm and short and scattered. As a group we will agree on the exact dates

- This is not a commercial trip. I will assist with the organization however each person will cover their own costs and we will be doing this trip with the intention of keeping costs down. I will get deposit from each person 2 months before the trip and this is to book the bikes and the hotels in advance. Remote areas means limited hotels which means if you dont book, you dont get. I need to confirm bookings especially on bikes and have to pay them deposits to do so and arrange the truck, boat and the earlier you book flights the better the prices. Also dont want to have keyboard cowboys commit to coming then change their mind last minute and I am sitting with rooms I have to pay for that dont get used. Also numbers dictates prices I can negotiate on bike rental as well as boat rental.

- You need to be able to take leave and come in October. You will arrange your own flights (everybody has their own preferences) and visa are free and issued on arrival. We agree dates, we all meet on a certain day in Bali and it kicks off

- Bikes will be 125 - 150 cc scooters. This is for keeping costs down, availability of parts, fuel and repairs along our whole route and blending in. Its also to ensure we all manage the same pace so guy on 125 doesn't have to slow down to let the guy on 1200 catch up (big bikes useless in Asia). Nowhere to use big bikes so not the trip for you if you cant see yourself riding small scooter.

- Limited to max of 5 people plus myself to keep it practical and manageable and the more remote places we go the more constrained we are around accommodation options.

- This is mix of tar, dirt, footpath, jungle roads, rocky farm roads, highways etc so riding is mixed. Preference to competent riders that can handle mixed terrain and that enjoy the adventure of exploring and finding routes along the way. If the idea of being lost in a jungle footpath with no signal, nobody else around and in a valley with mountains all around and no signs of civilization other than the "road" you are on does not appeal, then this is not your kind of trip

- We will be crossing 3 islands and have to use a ferry to get between them. First one is 6 hours, second 4 hours, 3rd is 10 hours.

- When we get to Labuan Bojo, the idea is to rent small boat and take a 2.5 day trip exploring small islands, snorkeling and ending with a stop on Komodo island to see the dragons. Return to Labuan Bojo and fly out. Scooters will be taken back by truck to Bali

- Each of us will carry our own gear. I will get bikes that have luggage racks and scooters have storage under seat that can take a helmet. We will be sharing rooms.

- International license are required.

Plan is we all meet in Bali on an agreed date. (I will be there a week ahead of time to make arrangements). We will fly into Bali, get bikes, then hit the road. Those wanting to stay in Bali a few extra days after have the option to do so but basically we will all part ways in Labuan Bojo on the flight back to Bali. If you are keen to join, send me a PM. I will use this thread to post the basic route, schedule and start outlining the costs as much as possible. Its also a place to answer questions you may have

Route below is simplified to show start and end points. Our route will be a lot more interesting and will have something for everyone

Attachments

• Bali to Labuan.JPG
    Bali to Labuan.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 95