Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So my third bike is... the CRF250 Rally!  (Read 2206 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: So my third bike is... the CRF250 Rally!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 03:43:54 pm »
thanks for your support, Zanie - appreciated  :thumleft:

others: please note, these racks out of stock now, 3 weeks for next batch....

Cheers, Chris
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 04:54:46 pm »
congrats and  enjoy. I look forward to more ride reports.  I'm curious about the height -  it looks high for you in the picture.
I took the BMW 310 for a test ride and was super impressed - the height suited me compared to my Yamaha 660.
I think I my test ride this one too but afraid I may get hooked like you :imaposer: I have 2 actual kids and one no problem reliable  child  :imaposer: (maybe there is space for a 4th)

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Zanie

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:46 pm »
I like your luggage rack better than my plate-like one. Especially that one has a better grab-handle when you need to pick the bike up. Enjoy the long weekend trip, safely ! Look forward to a trip report and some pics, please.

I must say, I was at first disappointed that I couldn't get hold of something like the Precision rack (pictured below), but after installation of my current one I'm very happy, because, as you say: grab-handles. It makes it much easier to move the bike around.

Unlike the GS I find that rather than moving the bike around while seated on it, it is easier to first drag it around and then climb onto it. The bike is so light that it is a breeze to shove around. It is also on the tall side, so not that easy to move around using just the balls of your feet once astride.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:51:17 pm by Zanie »

Offline Zanie

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 07:52:18 pm »
I'm curious about the height -  it looks high for you in the picture.
I took the BMW 310 for a test ride and was super impressed - the height suited me compared to my Yamaha 660.
I think I my test ride this one too but afraid I may get hooked like you :imaposer: I have 2 actual kids and one no problem reliable  child  :imaposer: (maybe there is space for a 4th)

I have very long legs for my body and the bike sags a bit when you sit on it, so bike height is actually manageable. I am able to put one foot flat-foot on the ground when stopped at traffic lights, etc (the other foot remains on a peg - it wont reach). If I try to put both feet on the ground, I'm on the front balls of my feet as a general rule. I do have have to concentrate when on a very uneven surface to make sure I put the correct foot down! The Rally suits my longer legs better than some other bikes of a similar size. For example, I found the Yamaha WR250 a bit cramped, though the Yamaha is admittedly a much lighter bike.

Do yourself a favour and try to get a Rally. And if you test-ride it, ry to take it on rougher road. This is where it really shines. I have seen one or two on Gumtree, so there is the option of getting one second-hand, though you'd probably have to wait a bit for one to pop up again. The weight factor put me off the 310. And the suspension. On the Rally it feels like I'm riding on a cloud. It's also incredibly light and flickable around the corners. I find that I ride about 10-20 km/h faster on the rougher roads and around the corners than with my 650GS just because the Rally's so forgiving and easy-to-ride.

Some pics of bike height comparison once I'm on it:

Offline Jaco1985

• Puppy
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 07:46:36 am »
Nice!!  :ricky:
1982 Suzuki AC50 (Boet restoring now) 1994 Honda MBX50(Sold) 2008 Honda Transalp 700 (Traded)
2012 Honda Crosstourer 1200X (Traded) 2015 Honda NC750X 
2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
2017 KTM 450SX-F
2015 Harley Davidson Fatbob

Offline sparro

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »
Zanie, one more mod I would recommend is to change the front sprocket from the standard 14t to a 13t.  It makes the bike so much more responsive and better traction on the rough stuff.  Also, wind the preload all the way up on the rear shock to get the weight bias right and improve steering feel.

It may not be the fastest thing out there but it can do some stuff in the rough that only a proper enduro bike riding on WP suspension will do better.  And you don't have to service it every  few hours...

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack

Offline Zanie

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:05 pm »
I am absolutely loving it, even when bog standard, so I won't bother with any upgrades. Anyway, I don't think I have enough skill to really feel/appreciate the difference!

The bike is a dream in the rougher stuff. RR to follow at some point. Meanwhile, here's a teaser.

Offline teebag

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 07:51:51 am »
 8)

Offline Zanie

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »
Ride report done!

My first multi-day ride with the Rally: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=223900.0

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 10:45:32 am »
Ride report done!

My first multi-day ride with the Rally: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=223900.0
Nice, did you feel the need for shorter gearing in the rough stuff ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Zanie

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:12 am »
Nice, did you feel the need for shorter gearing in the rough stuff ?

Not at all. I had to get used to its shorter gears when compared to my 650GS. With my 650, I would stick in first, because it had a very long first gear. With the Rally I'm usually in second (except for the roughest bits), because (A) first is shorter and (B) I can go faster due to its better suspension and confidence-building light weight.

Usually Lance used to ride past me, because he could not ride as slow as I was trundling on my 650 (the 800 has a shorter first gear than the 650), but now he happily cruises behind me.

Offline blauth

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 07:01:50 am »
Ride report done!

Nice one Zanie. Lots of varied terrain. Seems like it was a great trip and the bike sounds like it suits your needs perfectly. Have you ridden the 650 since you got the Rally?

Offline Zanie

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:56 am »
Nice one Zanie. Lots of varied terrain. Seems like it was a great trip and the bike sounds like it suits your needs perfectly. Have you ridden the 650 since you got the Rally?

Uhm. Not really, aside from taking it back-and-forth to a mechanic to try to fix its current issues...  :-\
I'm still trying to get the mystery jerky riding issue sorted.

The Rally is a perfect for commuting and rougher roads, but if I do go on any long or group rides on open roads I may just take the 650. I've done the Piketberg to Cape Town N7 stretch twice now and it's not pleasant. I had to visit my physio to get my neck sorted out. On my screenless 650, the wind hits me on my chest, but on the Rally it hits the helmet peak.

Offline blauth

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 10:33:56 am »

Uhm. Not really, aside from taking it back-and-forth to a mechanic to try to fix its current issues...  :-\
I'm still trying to get the mystery jerky riding issue sorted.

The Rally is a perfect for commuting and rougher roads, but if I do go on any long or group rides on open roads I may just take the 650. I've done the Piketberg to Cape Town N7 stretch twice now and it's not pleasant. I had to visit my physio to get my neck sorted out. On my screenless 650, the wind hits me on my chest, but on the Rally it hits the helmet peak.

Maybe see if you can get one of those screen extender thingies. Preferably one that can just clip off or fold down so when off-road, you can just take it off or fold it down. Maybe that will sort out the buffeting. I used to have that on my Tenere which made my head bobble from side to side and my peak would create the most frustrating resonance with the buffeting. I ended up reinforcing my peak but the problem was always there.

I bought a Rally yesterday. I've been looking on enviously at you lot who have Rally's but was too snoop to fork out 85k. So I found one with 1824km, in new condition for 65k which suited me. Now I hope it lives up to my little Tornado which I love. I'm sure it will.