Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Southern Africa - June to September weather info  (Read 542 times)

Offline maria41

Southern Africa - June to September weather info
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:36:34 am »
Hi everyone,

I am from the UK ( kind of - I am French but live in London).
 I am shipping our bikes to Cape Town. We will start our trip at the end of May. I plan to spend 4 months riding and exploring Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, then go down via Zim and Moz and stop in Swaziland and Lesotho on our way back to Cape Town. And explore part of SA as well of course!
I realise it will be winter down there, and outside of mountains where I can expect  a lot of cold, or even snow, what sort of weather can I expect in Namibia in June?  Surely cannot be worse than Northern Russia or Siberia in summer ( never been so cold and wet in my life!).

I just want to get and idea as I donít know at all the part of the world. Donít want to carry useless layers... we usually travel very light. Our travels bikes are XT250 and CRF250.

Thanks in advance.

Maria

Offline Kortbroek

Re: Southern Africa - June to September weather info
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:28:15 am »
Hi Maria
Welcome to WD's.

For Namibia and Botswana winter is by far the best time of the year. For the rest aside from SA I'm not so sure, but someone will pipe up soon.

For SA, depending on where you go winter is fine. The Cape (Western Cape) will be wet and rainy, the interior will be dry but cold (-3C to -10C and even colder in Lesotho and Drakensberg).
I think you have the perfect bikes for the trip you want to do and I'm sure you won't be in a hurry anyhow.  :ricky:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

The following users thanked this post: maria41

Offline maria41

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:46:59 pm »
Thanks Kortbroek and sorry for late answer. Last couple of weeks have been frantic.
We will probably be in Namibia through June then follow to Botswana, Zim, Malawi and coming down late August through Mozambique. By late August / September it should be spring in SA I hope, so we can explore further in the mountains.

Cheers,

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:11 pm »
Dry, cool at night for you not cold 15 to 20 C in the days, days short to us say 10 hour days in winter  you will breeze it. 😂
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline maria41

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:38:40 pm »
Dry, cool at night for you not cold 15 to 20 C in the days, days short to us say 10 hour days in winter  you will breeze it. 😂

Looks like your winters are like our summer in England! Minus the constant rain! :ricky: