A vent about riders and this sense of self-entitlement.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Similarly to a thread a while back about some Harley guys with this self-entitlement attitude, and having seen and been on the receiving end of one or two of these types of riders, I've decided to ride with my camera, and to capture if any some of these guys who feel entitled and above everyone else. Just to be clear, like with Gerhard's recent post about Mr Meerkat etc, I have also seen him a number of times, and while I don't really mind how he rides, I'll just rather get out the guys way and let him donner along. Same goes for most of the crew along Otto Du Plessis every morning and evening, I gladly rather get out the way and let the Rossi's and Dovi's race through standing traffic, it's their risk and I rather don't want to hold them up from their important schedules.

I sold my GS Adventure a few years back as it was just fat and clumsy to commute with and I wasn't doiung much sand riding anymore since my mate Max had moved out to Robertson, been using my scooters, and lately, my 650 Burgman, which is a really comfy commuter and in power mode, can really shift if called for. Had a few good burns with the Yamaha T Max's I meet up with on the ride in and out from work. I'm not a 30 km/h dawdler and usually sit comfortably with most of the guys in the 60 to 70 km/h range, been riding this stretch now for 10 years, have helped rescue 2 guys that have been knocked over on this stretch and have had one incident myself during this time, just so you have a good idea and background here.

So, today's incident happens at the Paddocks robots. I'm at the robot, Mr Red GS 1200 WC pulls up behind, REV'S and carrying on, and I'm watching the Ambulance coming across the intersection from the Paddocks side onto the West Coast Road. It's only two of us, so there's no long bike queue or anything like that, but traffic is chockablock, and Mr self-entitlement is just being obnoxious. He squeezes past with another rev and a head shake. So I get next to up and ask him whatsup. This is the dialogue ad verbatem.

"Why don't you make room for me"
I reply, "Why should I"
he stutters at that point and I boil over, "what the fuck gives you the right that I should move over for you?"
he reply's "common decency"!
For what I reply, and he mumbles something or other which I voice over and tell him oh please man I'm in front of you..  :dousing:  :eek7:

At which point I pull off as the robot's now changed.. I was the moer in at this knob's un-necessary attitude and a couple of cars further on I just move over and let this idiot go, who then comes past waving a middle finger! The ambulance is just ahead and he spends the next 10 minutes doing 30 km's/h behind the ambulance all the way to Dolphin Beach where he turned off. I was just laughing at him.

So, it was really all for sweet nothing, but why the fuck do some guys have this mindset! The other guy who did something similar was on a Burnt Orange 800 GS, and seems to fluke everyone who doesn't get out his way, cars and busses alike.

I'm going to accumulate these Video's of the daily kak I see and confront each day, sometimes its just mind blowing what people get up on a daily basis.

Anyway, Vent off, ride safe guys, and just chillax man, there's no rush, no need to be so self-entitled, we are all riding the same road trying to get home at the end of the day.

chow

Alan