Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Starter adventure bike suggestions  (Read 2446 times)

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Starter adventure bike suggestions
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2018, 10:30:31 am »
That Honda CRF250 Rally really tickles my fancy.

My wife love the looks. Someone was kind enough to give her one to ride. Came back and said it would frustrate her on  a longish daytrip. Not enough power. Struggles to cruise 120 on tar and uphill it looses steam.
The fact that she has to rev it so high irritates her the most.

My choice for her is DR 650 all the time and we have lost out on Chopperpilots great DR because she cannot commit. :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2018, 10:38:06 am »
That Honda CRF250 Rally really tickles my fancy.

I think that would be a great bike for her  :thumleft:

There has been a recent thread about a fellow lady member buying one for her ("Mommy mommy look at me, I need a 3rd bike" pun).  Anyway, and it looks nice as well seeing that looks plays a big role here  :snorting:

The CRF Rally looks awesome, but jeez they are expensive  :-[

Offline Dux

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
Mikie going through the same motions with my wife.
You will not believe how many bikes are thrown out simply because they do not look cool or the colour is not right AND the weight. You can explain about bottom weight as much as you like if the specs says X then we do not go there period.
I have given up. :'(

Chris , I have given up trying to understand women , period  ;)
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 12:24:23 pm »
Then its the 660R. You can have a good one for between R40k and R45k.

The only problem may be lack of bigger tank. There is one, but very rarely available.

Just a bit of lateral thinking - if she isn't scared of taller bikes and wants to go big as her preference for AT seems to indicate and the only issue is cost, why not 1150 GS/GSA? The last respectable BMW...  :peepwall: :pot:

Or the old Africa Twin may be within the limit (though she may die of boredom on that one - but then so would she on many other bikes suggested here)?

I guess it would really help to understand what kind of riding you want to do. Just an odd trip to WD bash (anything will do, including big bikes) or do you plan to actually venture extensively off the beaten track?

She has never ridden a AT but she loves the looks of it and all the positive reviews
She is busy arranging s ride morning at ADA one of these days that should be fun

The 1150GS, holy smokes, I am dating a little lady, she has ridden my bike, not far but she is shit scared of it, far too heavy for her, the PIG will be a definite no

I have been trying to plan proper off the beaten track trips for ages, our last 10 day trip to CT via Coffee bay are the types of trips we like doing, weight is a factor there
My own move to something smaller and lighter is coming, so getting her on that type of thing now makes it all easier
Definitely something in the 600 - 800 range. cost is a big factor right now,

At the moment the XT660R is looking like a winner, that TR650 would have been it if it wasn't sold over the weekend, that was a brilliant buy, basically new bike for cheap money
She was upset on losing out on that one
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Xpat

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 12:38:42 pm »
Then I agree that XT660R is probably the most suitable choice. Either that or properlu upgraded DR, XRL. Personally if I would have to choose in that territory I would go for XRL as according to Runner with some upgrades it can get very close to XRR, and zacapa here on the forum always boasts that he got his to about 135 kgs wet I think. If true that thing really has proper potential. And plenty of accessories, unlike XTR.

That said for long trips like the one you did to CT, fuel injected smooth and low consumption XTR is probably better choice - though really heavy for what it is. And please get that pipe rerouted from under the bike - that thing is just unbelievable abomination!

Edit: and if she thinks XR is ugly just show her this:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:42:29 pm by Xpat »

The following users thanked this post: Mikie

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 12:41:49 pm »
I envy you guys whose wives/GF's want to ride their own bikes. Just gives you more options for your own midrange bike and I love 650 class. Mine refused and loves to pillion, now I'm stuck with the PIG (the 1150 that is, not Wify  :lol8: ) for the , now, odd occasion we go tour. Only done 7 000km on it the last two years or so, but she won't let me sell it.

But come the Yamaha T7 and the 1150 goes.  :biggrin:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Scalpel

BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline armpump

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2018, 01:02:32 pm »

Mouse Maccoy

Bit of useless info, this popular pic is him with his dad

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:03:07 pm by armpump »

Offline Dux

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 01:02:51 pm »
Then I agree that XT660R is probably the most suitable choice. Either that or properlu upgraded DR, XRL. Personally if I would have to choose in that territory I would go for XRL as according to Runner with some upgrades it can get very close to XRR, and zacapa here on the forum always boasts that he got his to about 135 kgs wet I think. If true that thing really has proper potential. And plenty of accessories, unlike XTR.

That said for long trips like the one you did to CT, fuel injected smooth and low consumption XTR is probably better choice - though really heavy for what it is. And please get that pipe rerouted from under the bike - that thing is just unbelievable abomination!

You not going to get an XRL down to 135kg in a hurry , it is possible to lose weight and maybe get it down to about 150kg dry , still not bad for a 650 . Admittedly with the original tank they look shyte , but an aftermarket tank rectifies that . My big gripe with them is that the brakes are not up to scratch but can be improved .
I do suspect however that the seat height may well be an issue and on that alone I would recommend the DR , the XT's , both R and Z are good bikes but heavy at 183kg dry , then of course accessories like larger fuel tanks are not that easy to obtain either .
Ultimately it is her choice and she needs to ride a few different bikes although I am certain that after riding the Africa Twin she would want one , followed shortly after by Mikie  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:20 am »

Never mind her, that video has me wanting an XR now too
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key