Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Citrusdal-Clanwilliam-Cederberg  (Read 1333 times)

Offline ChrisD200

Citrusdal-Clanwilliam-Cederberg
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:44:08 am »
Hi guys.
I am planning a weekend ride to Clanwilliam and plan to ride as much gravel as I can.  I have a two critical unknowns, though – perhaps someone could advise?
1. Can I ride on gravel all the way from the foot of the Dasklip Pass (to Beaverlac) to Citrusdal, along the foot of the mountains, roughly following the Olifants River?
2. Do I need a permit to ride from Clanwilliam back to Cederberg through the Cederberg Wilderness area?
Thanks
ChrisD

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Citrusdal-Clanwilliam-Cederberg
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »
Hi Chris
1. It is possible to ride from Beaverlac to Citrusdal, and folk have done it, but last time I checked you had to know someone to get permission as the roads at the head of the valley are strictly private.
2. Nature Conservation does not allow bikes in the Wilderness area.  Biedouw Valley, the Postal Route, Wupperthal to Oasis and Clanwilliam, Algeria, Oasis are all public roads (mostly) and you can ride them at will.

I haven't been up that area much in the last 5 years and things might have changed.

Offline Humpty Dumpty

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:49:42 pm »
Hi guys.
I am planning a weekend ride to Clanwilliam and plan to ride as much gravel as I can.  I have a two critical unknowns, though – perhaps someone could advise?
1. Can I ride on gravel all the way from the foot of the Dasklip Pass (to Beaverlac) to Citrusdal, along the foot of the mountains, roughly following the Olifants River?
2. Do I need a permit to ride from Clanwilliam back to Cederberg through the Cederberg Wilderness area?
Thanks
ChrisD
No and no

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4 wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Offline ChrisD200

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:22 pm »
Thanks for your input, Crossed-up and Humpty-Dumpty.  We shall ride the route back from Clanwilliam via Wupperthal and Oasis towards Op Die Berg – presumably that is an open route (i.e. I don’t need permission from farmer/capenature/4x4 group?).
Will do Postal and Biedouw Valley routes once we have more experience.
Cheers, ChrisD

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 12:48:12 pm »
Hi guys.
Thanks
ChrisD

1. If you go back over the pass down the tar road and turn  right towards the N7 that road throws you out on the N7 eventually if i remember correctly. Then you probably need to do tar. Don't know if the old Piekenierskloof pass(gravel) can be used to Citrusdal
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:41:26 pm »
Thanks for your input, Crossed-up and Humpty-Dumpty.  We shall ride the route back from Clanwilliam via Wupperthal and Oasis towards Op Die Berg – presumably that is an open route (i.e. I don’t need permission from farmer/capenature/4x4 group?).
Will do Postal and Biedouw Valley routes once we have more experience.
Cheers, ChrisD

I did the route via Wuppertal past Sunday.
No permits needed.
Very little sand, the road does get marbly around Eselbank.

Its a beautiful ride.

Online Dux

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:32 pm »
Get a Slingsby map , it will give you all the routes that can be ridden and you get contact numbers for places of interest as well  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline ChrisD200

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:09:05 am »
Thanks guys for your input.  Yes, Dux, I have the Slingsby maps and they are tremendous. 
It has been difficult to get the guys lined up with time etc, what with work and weather and all.
Keep you posted.
Cheers, ChrisD

Offline Deon

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 08:13:28 pm »
A small group of my friends got lost near Beaverlac and ended up in Citrusdal some years ago.  But they had to cross unfriendly private land to get home.  Some farmers will trap you and offer coffee for some civilized conversation.  Others stays in the bundus because they could not get on with people to start with.  It is great to make new friends.  But in some cases you will just make enemies, no matter how hard you try.  There is a stony, wet and cold legal crossing over the Olifants River east of Citrusdal.  Lots of friendly farmers here, and plenty of nice accommodation.  Just past The Baths.
XR500, DR600, TT600, XT600, XR600, XR650R,
Goldwing 1000, CBF, CBX, Varadero *2.

Offline ChrisD200

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:54:41 am »
Well, after plenty of work-related and other delays, we finally managed to get all three of the guys together and accommodated in Citrusdal over the weekend.  The route going north from Op Die Berg through Mount Ceder and Eselbank to Wupperthal was easy except for the sand.  I came unstuck a couple of times on my commuter F650 with all the tools+levers+pump+tubes etc in my panniers (so I was well laden) but that’s OK.  Took about 6 hours to Clanwilliam and put our club sign (CMCC) at  the “Nek of Names” just north of Matjies Rivier.  I feel so sad for the inhabitants of Wupperthal - the heart has been burnt out of their lonely town - it must have been a beautiful place too.  A calm peaceful and very green valley.  The drop into Wupperthal from Eselbank must have been epic before the road was locally concreted, and even now its quite tricky with all the loose gravel on the smooth concrete, like ball-bearings!  Still, for a biker it was a great ride out!  Cheers, ChrisD