SR 500 Cafe'or somthing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Ok so here is the start of my build for this SR,

Just as a for warning this will be a slow build as money is in short supply.

So I bought this pig of the internet sight unseen. I knew it was in boxes but the price was right so I took a chance. My thinking was that if it all went wrong I could sell the parts and make money on how much I paid for it.

Like I said the bike was striped the frame was chopped and the motor was in peaces. As far as I can tell most of the bits I need are there.

So here is what I do know. I need to re-bore the cylinder (I'm going 90mm as that's the next biggest size I can find) Piston is 88.40mm, Bore is 88.70

the rest of the parts list  reads:

Valves, guides, valve seats, carb rebuild kit, wheel bearings, gasket set, oil filter and spark-plug. New shock seals and that is about it.

I have already welded the seat rails back onto the frame, I need to tern some bushings for the swing arm. I will do the pain my self and i will probably need to rewire the entire thing.

My budget for parts is around R15k and other than the engineering work all the labour will be my own.

So this is were I call out to the community at large. local knowledge is always best. Im on the hunt for spare parts and buts and bobs. If any one knows of or has parts that they think may be usefull to me please PM me.

All the parts other than the Piston kit have been sourced from a Yamaha dealer so they are genuine. the Piston I was quoted R2k by Montclair Motorcycles this seems steep considering the a genuine piston kit +1 over (all be it not any useful size to me) is R1400

Any how looking forward to getting this bike on the road!

Regards
Stew

Attachments

• IMG_2237.JPG
    IMG_2237.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 242