Some assistance/guidance on my project - BMW R65 Cafe Racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Figured the collective knowledge here is vast and easier to rely on local know-how and advise rather than trolling redundant info on other less helpful forums.

My project is essentially taking a restored BMW R65 and converting her into a head turning cafe racer, initially the intent was to keep on the road and do the modifications on weekends and the express intent of keeping fabrication requirements as low as possible - my skill level is more weighted to beginner if I am honest but that is the side goal of this undertaking to learn and get my hands dirty.

Of my original goals, the weekend work and keeping her running throughout is now beyond reality and the stage of the build warrants some downtime and parts.

Here is what has been done to date - I am working from front to back:
- Replaced original headlight to smaller light
- Removed instrument cluster
- Replaced original handlebar with MX bar (Thanks Poffmuis)
- Replaced front indicators

So my new challenges include:
- Fitment of new instrument (Motogadget Mini)
- Fitment of RFID ignition as the original one was held together by zip ties
- Replacement of a few odds and ends that are eaten apart by 37 years of aluminium corrosion

So my questions are:
- How do I remove the old speed sensor, I am loathe to cut the old one - it runs from where the old instrument cluster was into the engine block with no clear way of removing.
- Alternatively, is there anyway to use the old sensor with the new instrument, the suggested speed pickup is a magnet and reed pickup which came with the kit.
- I need lots of little aluminium parts made up but patience is a weakness (another project goal is to hone this skill) to move beyond the current phase of the build.

I will try and document my build (if anybody cares or is interested) because it is might get interesting over time and the bike looks to have some "fun" surprizes of cable ties on ignitions, throttle tubes with holes covered by electricians tape and other hidden delights.