Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Booster for a Harley  (Read 693 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
A Booster for a Harley
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »
Wessel drives a 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra Limited. He recently fitted imported pipes and was worried about the accompanying lean mixtures. Harleys run lean in stock form and an extra exhaust worsens the matter, so he wanted to fit a BoosterPlug to compensate. I took the Ultra Ltd for a ride before installation. It was a pleasant ride, but the throttle felt like an "old man's bike". OK, so you want power? I will give it to you, said the throttle, but don't expect fireworks. It provided lackluster acceleration. We fitted a set of 1000 lumen spots, and in the process installed a BoosterPlug, which was a 5-minute job: easy - plug 'n play, and proceeded with the spots - almost forgetting about the BoosterPlug. I took the bike for a ride afterwards and could not believe what I felt. It was as if the Ultra had undergone a transformation. Now suddenly there is power! Nothing of the "wait, let me decide", but rather "here it is, instantaneously, right now, hard on!" It was transformed from an old man's bike to a go-getter! When it hits 3000rpm, there is a 2nd stage of urge, and you can feel it. What is nice about it, is that 3000rpm is the revs at 130km/h. so if you are cruising in 6th and need extra power it is right there. For the rest of the weekend, I had a smile on my face when thinking back about how nice the ultra was going. Wessel is equally impressed - he will have to get used to his bike's new urge, he says. I could not believe that a small thing would transform the character of his 103 cubic inch Harley from an old fart to a get-up and go machine!
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
Re: A Booster for a Harley
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »
What does a booster plug do, stronger spark, increase the fuel flow?
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 06:56:48 pm »
What does a booster plug do, stronger spark, increase the fuel flow?

Enrich the fuel:air ratio.
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Single Cylinder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Kickstart the beast or push the button
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:11:41 pm »
Thanks   :thumleft:
I am not lazy, I am energy efficient.
Honda CB750 sold
Honda Elsinore 250 stolen
Honda XR500 sold, Kawasaki Ninja 750 sold
TDM 850

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:23:44 am »
BoosterPlug alters the AIT sensor value, adding more fuel just when needed most. Some suggest fooling the O2 sensor, but O2 sensor fooling is prohibited by new Euro 4 legislation and dashboard warning lights are installed to report tampering. It is also not very smart to play with the O2 sensor as the O2 sensor: 1. only regulates the mixture when cruising (i.e. constant rpm and throttle openings), when you don't really need the extra power, 2. protects the engine from running too lean. An O2 sensor is basically an on/off switch, meaning that it cannot be calibrated.
BoosterPlug, on the other hand, alters the AIT (air intake temp) sensor values in open loop. The AIT readings are used by the EFI because the O2 sensor takes too long to react to inputs (from 1.7 to 3 seconds). The AIT values become important under acceleration, deceleration and at idle - when you need a slightly richer mixture the most. BoosterPlug increases the AFR with 6% just when you need it most, and then moves into the background until called upon (any changes in rpm or tps -throttle position sensor). NO REMAP NEEDED. It retains the standard map but adds 6% fuel when needed - warranties are retained. It protects the engine by making it run cooler and happier. And the bike runs better, at 1/3rd of the price. go to boosterplug.com for more info.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:25:14 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Padvinner

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:17 pm »
BoosterPlug alters the AIT sensor value, adding more fuel just when needed most. Some suggest fooling the O2 sensor, but O2 sensor fooling is prohibited by new Euro 4 legislation and dashboard warning lights are installed to report tampering. It is also not very smart to play with the O2 sensor as the O2 sensor: 1. only regulates the mixture when cruising (i.e. constant rpm and throttle openings), when you don't really need the extra power, 2. protects the engine from running too lean. An O2 sensor is basically an on/off switch, meaning that it cannot be calibrated.
BoosterPlug, on the other hand, alters the AIT (air intake temp) sensor values in open loop. The AIT readings are used by the EFI because the O2 sensor takes too long to react to inputs (from 1.7 to 3 seconds). The AIT values become important under acceleration, deceleration and at idle - when you need a slightly richer mixture the most. BoosterPlug increases the AFR with 6% just when you need it most, and then moves into the background until called upon (any changes in rpm or tps -throttle position sensor). NO REMAP NEEDED. It retains the standard map but adds 6% fuel when needed - warranties are retained. It protects the engine by making it run cooler and happier. And the bike runs better, at 1/3rd of the price. go to boosterplug.com for more info.

Will this work on a 1200 Sportster as well ? How difficult is the installation?
There is serenity in solitude

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:46:05 am »
There is a BoosterPlug for the 1200 Sportster. Installation is easy. Slightly lift the tank, find the AIT sensor mounted on top of the inlet manifolds, plug out the cable, install the BoosterPlug in line, run the new temp sensor to the front, and your'e done. PS. Don't try it on a hot engine☺

The following users thanked this post: Padvinner