Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why to ride Small bike on a long Adventure trip  (Read 4665 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33į54.712 E018į28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Why to ride Small bike on a long Adventure trip
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 11:09:01 am »

Quote from: jaybiker on Today at 09:57:13 am

>Quote from: dirt rat on Today at 06:29:42 am>..... that's fine on either bike apart from one thing. The bloody X Challenge seat! :o

Since I can't afford a nice aftermarket replacement, I'm considering some padded cycling pants for a bit of relief. Anyone with experience or advice on that?

Yes: I ride a 450 'Adventure Lite' bike, and it has a harder seat than the X Challenge, I ride with padded cycling shorts, no underpants, and it works a treat, and then the padded cycling shorts double up as swimming cozzie/bathers when coming accross a dam or stream, etc.
Cycling shorts for the win!
Chris

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline w@nted

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »
So I will be able to give some feedback on this matter soon. Just sold my 1200 GS and bought a new Husky 701. Picking up the bike on Tuesday...

Cannot afford both, so had to make a choice. You only live once, so I am willing to try different things. Can always buy a big bike again when the kids are grown up and my wife wants to ride along again. For now, it is hooligan time  :ricky:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, TBC

Offline blauth

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 01:42:16 pm »
Horses for courses really......

Depends what terrain, what kind of riding, how competent you are as a rider, pillion, camping vs B&B, personal preferrence, budget and a gazillion more other factors.

There are too many variables to make a generalized recommendation about what's better. Question should be asked and answered on a case by case basis.

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »
So I will be able to give some feedback on this matter soon. Just sold my 1200 GS and bought a new Husky 701. Picking up the bike on Tuesday...

Cannot afford both, so had to make a choice. You only live once, so I am willing to try different things. Can always buy a big bike again when the kids are grown up and my wife wants to ride along again. For now, it is hooligan time  :ricky:

You will love it.
500km days - no problem.

We are much too polite to talk about light versus heavy riders ...

Recently a man who weighs 120kg, and who can bench press a Toyota bakkie, was recommending a 250kg bike to a short chap of 66kg.  Come on, guys!
I also find it funny that sometimes lekker overweight gents has long discussions and arguments about a bike weight.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:06:42 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

The following users thanked this post: BliknÍrs

Offline blauth

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 05:47:10 am »

Quote from: jaybiker on Today at 09:57:13 am

>Quote from: dirt rat on Today at 06:29:42 am>..... that's fine on either bike apart from one thing. The bloody X Challenge seat! :o

Since I can't afford a nice aftermarket replacement, I'm considering some padded cycling pants for a bit of relief. Anyone with experience or advice on that?

Yes: I ride a 450 'Adventure Lite' bike, and it has a harder seat than the X Challenge, I ride with padded cycling shorts, no underpants, and it works a treat, and then the padded cycling shorts double up as swimming cozzie/bathers when coming accross a dam or stream, etc.
Cycling shorts for the win!
Chris

As you say, cycling shorts, no underpants. It works a treat.....it does feel like you're wearing a nappy though.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 07:15:04 am »
Might as well get used to that now, 'cos at my age, well.....
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline BliknÍrs

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:14 am »
Everything is relative but a 660 or 700 is not really a small bike.
Small bike for me is around 250cc and if you consider a long adventure trip to be the kind of riding and roads deepest darkest Africa will dish up, the main advantages of a small bike has not been mentioned.
They are light to man handle eg pick up, drag out of ruts, load in a dug out etc and they are easy to work on and fix.
EDIT:
However if long adventure trip means you have distance to cover and time is an issue a big bike is a must and you will have to modify your route according to what you ride and how much time you have. Some would argue that takes the adventure out of a trip.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:27:29 am by BliknÍrs »
G450X

Offline DCR

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 09:49:02 am »
I was about to say the same... back in the day a 500 was considered a beast of thing. These days, where a modern 300 makes as much as those old 500s we have ďwhat should I buyĒ threads where everybody recommends 1200s because 800s donít work well when you pillion. It is bloody insane. Same way our bakkies keep on getting bigger, our bikes keep getting bigger. I donít know why.

My 800 is for sale, it is way too big.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 07:35:15 am »
There is no.."why?".....

Just ride whatever you want and can and prefer...

Exactly. Its an adventure on a big bike and another adventure on a small one. Bikes are like women anyways ;D
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 08:41:37 pm »
I was about to say the same... back in the day a 500 was considered a beast of thing. These days, where a modern 300 makes as much as those old 500s we have ďwhat should I buyĒ threads where everybody recommends 1200s because 800s donít work well when you pillion. It is bloody insane. Same way our bakkies keep on getting bigger, our bikes keep getting bigger. I donít know why.

My 800 is for sale, it is way too big.

Very interesting what you say, and it still amazes me how we get used to more and more power.

My 1976 Kawasaki Z1000 made about 80 horsepower, and it was a beast. Today's singles are almost there. :eek7:

The Yamaha XT500 used to be a man's bike, today it would be ridiculed in power-circles with it's 28 hp, 6hp less than the new GS310. :eek7:

But the Yamaha XT won the 1st and 2nd year of Dakar rally, and I do not believe the GS310 could duplicate that. 

This is how far we've come.

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »
My 'slightly upgraded' (bigger fuel tank & Ohlins suspension) BMW HP2 with Holan pannier frames (ultra light) weighed in at a guesstimated 195kg dry (stock @185kg)

For me that was the best allrounder ever, but luckily, I now have a few bikes to choose from. 

Oh yes, and I weigh more than 120kg so technically speaking I'm not allowed to talk bike weights :lol8:

ďThere is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 09:20:46 pm »
My 'slightly upgraded' (bigger fuel tank & Ohlins suspension) BMW HP2 with Holan pannier frames (ultra light) weighed in at a guesstimated 195kg dry (stock @185kg)

For me that was the best allrounder ever, but luckily, I now have a few bikes to choose from. 

Oh yes, and I weigh more than 120kg so technically speaking I'm not allowed to talk bike weights :lol8:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :thumleft:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 09:57:27 pm »

Ja.  Bliksem!  I just jumped on the scales and found that I am also disqualified from talking bike weights.

I am also ugly.so no talk on bike looks I assume?   :lol8:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:58:43 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 07:17:15 am »
There is no.."why?".....

Exactly. Its an adventure on a big bike and another adventure on a small one. Bikes are like women anyways ;D

True! You cannot really take a fat woman for a hike up a mountain, can you? 

So I just wonder what sort of adventure you can take a fat women on? They struggle walking along a beach, mud is DEFINITELY out and like I said, technical hiking is a no-no. :eek7:

But they're usually very at home in the kitchen. :snorting:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:39 am »
There is no.."why?".....

True! You cannot really take a fat woman for a hike up a mountain, can you? 

So I just wonder what sort of adventure you can take a fat women on? They struggle walking along a beach, mud is DEFINITELY out and like I said, technical hiking is a no-no. :eek7:

But they're usually very at home in the kitchen. :snorting:

Nasty Danie, nasty.  Sies!

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 11:34:45 am »
I recently rode with a group in the Tankwa and Cedarberg over 2 days covered about 800km and one rider was on a 250 Rally Honda.
And was quite able to keep pace with the rest all on much larger bikes.
In fact he flew up Ouberg pass more comfortable and assured than most.
And easily kept pace on the long boring gravel from the top of Ouberg to Middelpos.

The following users thanked this post: BlueBull2007

Offline BliknÍrs

• Race Dog
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 12:01:49 pm »
I have been on trips with my 200cc Bushlander where everyone wanted to swop bikes when there was sand or rocks.
True the tar wasn't much fun but it was better than falling over every time there was sand.
G450X

Offline Sabre

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:40 pm »
Why this discussion ? It has been proven, extensively in this forum, on TV and the internet, that the new 310GS is THE bike to have.......  :pot:  :ricky:  :lol8:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline Dux

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »
I started adventure riding in the 80's on an MTX200 , great bike , great journey's , over the years the bikes have gotten bigger up to 1000cc , but I can't say that the enjoyment factor has been any bigger , so I have now settled on a 600 as being about right for me , not overly heavy , not overly powerful but handles everything it needs to capably  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 12:36:52 pm »
Why this discussion ? It has been proven, extensively in this forum, on TV and the internet, that the new 310GS is THE bike to have.......  :pot:  :ricky:  :lol8:

:laughing4: :laughing4:

#33 #BRADICAL!