Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why to ride Small bike on a long Adventure trip  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Why to ride Small bike on a long Adventure trip
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »
Most experienced riders will advise you that on the long trip you need to have big adventure bike, something like BMW 1200 or Yamaha Super Tenere. You will need a powerful engine and enough luggage capacity. Big petrol tank is absolutely necessary and there is nothing better than driveshaft. In this video I will try to convince you that on the long motorcycle tip itís much better to ride a small and light bike. Stay with me!

N: 1 Ė The price of the trip.
To travel the world you need a motorcycle: Big adventure bikes, like BMW 1200GS, KTM 1290 or Yamaha Super Tenere will cost you not less than 15,000 euro. When you include your gear and the hard cases you can go up to 18,000 euro. This will be just to have the bike, than will comes tyres, oils, maintenance taxes and insurance. With the big boys the costs will be 30-40 up to 50% higher than a small and cheap bike. Spending so much money will not guarantee that you will have better adventure, itís only guarantee that you will spend much more before you even start the trip.

N: 2 Ė The Weight
The weigh always matter. If you are looking for adventure, soon or later you will leave the asphalt roads and go deep into the off road world. Itís just the matter of time to realize that the lighter you are the better chances to stay straight you have. To learn that the big and heavy engine is useless on the dirt. To find out that itís much easier to lift 200 instead of 300 kilograms. You can make it once, twice or ten times, but you cannot do it all day round. You have to skip some parts of the road or you will need help. More you travel lighter you will become. 

N: 3 - Constant instead of top speed.
You donít need to be super good in the calculations to see that on the long motorcycle trip itís much better to have a constant instead of top speed. You might disagree with me and tell me that you prefer big bike, but you will ride it slow. Really, why you need a big bike then? I have seen many guys to ride small bikes fast, but I have never seen the opposite way. When you ride fast you have to be concentrated on the ride. By doing so, you cannot really look around and enjoy the ride. You can miss important thing or information signs. You increase the chances to make an accident or to avoid somebody else mistake.  Reduce the speed if you want to see the world.

N: 4 Ė Good reason to take less luggage.
With small and light bike, you probably will go to soft luggage, which is right if you ask me, and this will automatically reduce the number of the items you taking with you. You donít need to double or triple everything. You will ride on Earth not on Mars. Leave the kitchen sink and the toilet seat at home, they are too heavy. Yes, but on the long trip you need more staff! Really! Guys, I always taking the same staff and it doesnít matter how long is the trip, one week or one month.

N: 5 - Safety.
I will split this on two categories:
- Personal safety.
With small and light bike itís much easy to ride in the traffic and do some not so legal manoeuvres. Easy to move it when the engine is not working. Easy to ride on and off road and lift it, if you have to. More likely to stay unhurt if you fell down and stuck under the bike. Easy to cross a river or ride on the sand, especially if you are alone. By having this easy control you are increasing the chances to finish the trip without any problems.
- Bike safety.
So guys, the definition of Adventure is exciting or unusual experience that usually involving some risks. You can do it with any bike. Instead of spending 20,000 euro for new and fancy bike, spend 5 or 7,000 and the rest use to travel the world.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags - whatever works for me.

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Why to ride Small bike on a long Adventure trip
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:45:19 pm »
I fully agree

I have had a few big bikes ...the last one being a KTM 950 SE that I rode 50 000 km on in 5 years

There were many times and places that I was totally "overbiked" trying to wrestle with something that was 2 1/2 times my body weight ...and the SE is known as a relatively light big bike

Your pic shows a 660 Tenere vs 1200 Tenere ... even the 660 is big and heavy at a claimed 206 kg (http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xt660_tenere%2014.htm)

I am now riding an "adventurised" KTM 500 ... a bike that starts out at a claimed wet weight of 114 kg (http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ktm/ktm_500%20XC-W%2014.htm) ... I have added a 20 litre fuel tank (good for 400 km range) and a Giant Loop Coyote bag for my luggage and the bike is now at 130 kg fully fuelled and loaded for a trip

You have to ride a smaller bike on a long trip to believe it for yourself how much more fun and less tiring it is ...smaller really is better ... and I keep telling my wife that
The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: Skipskop

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »
Naaaaa had a few trips on my 690--- never again. My 1290 takes me any place I want to be :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:00:25 pm »
It seems to me a small bike and the trailer must be bought at the same time. :deal:

Big and small have a spot in the garage, sadly not all of us can afford both and the trailer.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »
Agree with ETS and ChrisL.

I loved my XR650L, but doing stretches longer than 400km in one day, although absolutely possible, became more of a torture than the pleasure it was supposed to be. Horses for courses and I will probably never buy either the big BM or KTM, maybe because I can't ride well enough, but at this stage, I doubt whether I'll swap my 990 for anything smaller.
I took my son's KTM 525 for a ride around the farm, some time ago and although it goes like smoke, I found it extremely uncomfortable. Probably all boils down to the type of riding one does and like someone else said, any respectable biker should have at least three bikes in his garage.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:10 pm »
Agree with ETS and ChrisL.

I loved my XR650L, but doing stretches longer than 400km in one day, although absolutely possible, became more of a torture than the pleasure it was supposed to be. Horses for courses and I will probably never buy either the big BM or KTM, maybe because I can't ride well enough, but at this stage, I doubt whether I'll swap my 990 for anything smaller.
I took my son's KTM 525 for a ride around the farm, some time ago and although it goes like smoke, I found it extremely uncomfortable. Probably all boils down to the type of riding one does and like someone else said, any respectable biker should have at least three bikes in his garage.

But if you go on a unplanned trip, how would 3 bikes in your garage help you?  The beauty of the small bike is that, even though they are a bit of a test on long, open stretches, they leave you the choice

to explore any trail you come across on your travels.

Offline Rossdog

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:20 pm »
It all depends what you want to do, and I guess everybody has a different idea of what "adventure" is. For me, adventure is not cruising long distances on well kept gravel highways or graded dirt passes. Bigger bikes will obviously be better suited for this. For me, adventure is the kind of stuff discussed on the "Economically Adventurizing a KTM 500" threat. But, many people will disagree.

Xpat, Justin and Straatkat, how would a 1200 GS, 1290 or even a GS 800 have fared on your recent trip?
'69 Model.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:03:12 pm »
It all depends what you want to do, and I guess everybody has a different idea of what "adventure" is. For me, adventure is not cruising long distances on well kept gravel highways or graded dirt passes. Bigger bikes will obviously be better suited for this. For me, adventure is the kind of stuff discussed on the "Economically Adventurizing a KTM 500" threat. But, many people will disagree.

Xpat, Justin and Straatkat, how would a 1200 GS, 1290 or even a GS 800 have fared on your recent trip?

In the hands of Chris Birch? :pot: :pot:

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 07:14:48 pm »
We are much too polite to talk about light versus heavy riders ...

Recently a man who weighs 120kg, and who can bench press a Toyota bakkie, was recommending a 250kg bike to a short chap of 66kg.  Come on, guys!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:55:40 pm »
17hp can take you around the world, the rest is just wheelspin
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Sheepman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 08:51:54 pm »
Small is way better......just don't take the kitchen sink and piano with on trip

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
There is no.."why?".....

Just ride whatever you want and can and prefer...
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:10 pm »
There is no.."why?".....

exactly - whatever floats your boat
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 10:13:38 pm »
There is no.."why?".....

I re-read my post and realize it sound a bit bland.

What I mean is that speaking in a broad sense, a well off man will not buy a cheap car or bike. He will go for the more expensive ones. Whatever its perfect for his needs will not be much of a factor when he buy it as he will find his types of rides to suit his bike. He will make it work.

Then as time and experience walks on and preference is established he will buy a bike which suite his needs more or buy a second bike.

There is not really a one size fits all bike.

My dream bike garage will have about 20 bikes. :thumleft:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 11:36:07 pm »
There is no.."why?".....

exactly - whatever floats your boat

No, das Boot is too heavy. :pot:

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 06:29:42 am »
Yes and no - I own a 650x challenge and a 1150 gs. The 1150 was bought about five years ago with 70000 on the clock- now 235000.
Define a long trip - 7 days Namibia to cover some ground and see some sights - 1150 - three weeks to explore-650.
4 day Klein Karoo - Rooiberg- Groenrivier and Baviaans - 1150
4 day Baviaans to explore-650
Cederberg - Wuppertal-Algeria-1150
Cederberg-Old Postal-Heuningvlei to the top of the pass-650.
Pillion- 1150
My luggage for both bikes is the same except that it weighs a bit more on the 650 due to tools and tubes.
1150 weight all up- about 260kg- 650 about 180kg - that is about one and a half pockets of cement.
That does not mean the 1150 is shit to ride - just to pick up so don't drop it.
So as the song goes - if you can't be with the one you love - love the one your with.
And yes the 650 tenere is heavy.

Online TheBear

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 06:54:42 am »
There is no.."why?".....

+1.

There is no right or wrong here because we all have different likes and dislikes.  2SD loves his small light bike and happily take the strain it presents on the long open road.  I like my big bike and happily accept that I cannot ride the small and off the beaten track trials with it.  This list of riders and bikes goes on.  If we all were the same, we could have bought a Quantum and all rode in it together, in exactly the same way.

.#BRADICAL!

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:15 am »
I fully agree

I have had a few big bikes ...the last one being a KTM 950 SE that I rode 50 000 km on in 5 years

There were many times and places that I was totally "overbiked" trying to wrestle with something that was 2 1/2 times my body weight ...and the SE is known as a relatively light big bike

Your pic shows a 660 Tenere vs 1200 Tenere ... even the 660 is big and heavy at a claimed 206 kg (http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xt660_tenere%2014.htm)

I am now riding an "adventurised" KTM 500 ... a bike that starts out at a claimed wet weight of 114 kg (http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ktm/ktm_500%20XC-W%2014.htm) ... I have added a 20 litre fuel tank (good for 400 km range) and a Giant Loop Coyote bag for my luggage and the bike is now at 130 kg fully fuelled and loaded for a trip

You have to ride a smaller bike on a long trip to believe it for yourself how much more fun and less tiring it is ...smaller really is better ... and I keep telling my wife that

Exactly why I moved to my XRR too. Lightweight... Simple and fun.  Sure anything with black stuff is boring and torture, but you can't have it all.. can you?

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:13 am »
Yes and no - I own a 650x challenge and a 1150 gs. The 1150 was bought about five years ago with 70000 on the clock- now 235000.
Define a long trip - 7 days Namibia to cover some ground and see some sights - 1150 - three weeks to explore-650.
4 day Klein Karoo - Rooiberg- Groenrivier and Baviaans - 1150
4 day Baviaans to explore-650
Cederberg - Wuppertal-Algeria-1150
Cederberg-Old Postal-Heuningvlei to the top of the pass-650.
Pillion- 1150
My luggage for both bikes is the same except that it weighs a bit more on the 650 due to tools and tubes.
1150 weight all up- about 260kg- 650 about 180kg - that is about one and a half pockets of cement.
That does not mean the 1150 is shit to ride - just to pick up so don't drop it.
So as the song goes - if you can't be with the one you love - love the one your with.
And yes the 650 tenere is heavy.

Snap! I also own the same pair of bikes, 1150 and X Challenge. Although I don't undertake many very long trips, a weekend bash is about the longest for me. But on the tar road there's very little difference in the speed I cruise at. 120, or 130 or 140 if I feel like it, that's fine on either bike apart from one thing. The bloody X Challenge seat!  :o

Since I can't afford a nice aftermarket replacement, I'm considering some padded cycling pants for a bit of relief. Anyone with experience or advice on that?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:05:17 am by jaybiker »

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 10:50:02 am »
One up it makes sense, two up methinks you will not enjoy it on a small bike. 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF Rally..