Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 20710 times)

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »
Hardy, maybe start another thread on Quest? :deal:

A good adventure rider is anyone who is willing to perhaps ride or travel a little bit out of their comfort zone, dabble in a little bit of risk on a journey somewhere on a bike. It does not even have to be a multi-day journey.

It has not one iota to do with riding skill or the type of bike or whether it is a team event or group ride or where you ride. 

"Oh he is a good adventure rider." .... So what.

BB 2007

I think you misunderstood the context of the thread. This is not a dick swinging exercise. I would just like to hear what riders thoughts are with regards to the personification of a good adventure rider. From what I saw, no one compared themselves against others etc.
Honda is taking aim at our segment of the motorcycle market and so far, everyone's opinion of what an adventure rider is, or what true adventure is, differs.
Anyway - getting a lot of good feedback here and enjoying the various opinions.

Do you prefer to ride solo?

Cheers
Hardy

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2018, 08:44:56 pm »
Sub

Take two people going on a similar trip.  The one has bike problems or can’t fix a puncture, run into trouble along the way, can’t cover the distance, arrive late at night. The other get it done without a fuss and less trouble.

What is the differences between the two?

It is a bit of experience, a bit of planning, bit of mechanical aptitude, bit of riding skill, etc. And a lot if attitude.

SM

Did you mean lack of stamina or fitness with "can't cover the distance"? - Interesting comment.

Offline Captain Cook

« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »
I have been watching this thread with interest.  For me it's hard to use the word Adventure and Competition in one sentance.  When I read about technical skills, sand riding skills, mechanical skills, back-up vehicles etc the word Adventure starts to become a bit diluted.  So here are my thoughts.

1. Select a destination
2. Give each contestant a bike and a budget
3. Give them the option to travel alone or pick a partner
4. Each contestant/team must kit their own bikes and plan their own route and take care of their own repairs and maintenance
5. Each contestant/team must establish a blog and make use a the various social media platforms to create a following giving daily updates on their route, progress etc like a progressing ride report.  GoPro's, pictures, video's and drones can be used to bring their adventure alive and make following interesting.  Places of interest and interaction With the locals on the route can all be used The size of there following hits on their articles etc can be one of the criteria in selecting the ultimate Adventurer.
5. Define waypoints where each contestant/team must check- in within a specified timeframe.
6. These waypoints can be used to plan marketing events.  If a rider or team don't make it there on time they are disqualified.
7. Tracking devices can be used so you can track the progress of your rider or team as well as for saftey reasons otherwise riders are on their own.

I understand it is marketing and brand awareness that is the driving force behind the Quest but I believe the options around the points above are endless.  For me this would be a true adventure and I am sure it is the adventure most of us dream about every day

Online Bokveld

« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2018, 09:38:33 pm »
The problem with definitions, is  if you don't comply, did you fail ? I'm on a trip, there is lots of sand and I fall a lot... was the trip a failure as an adventure.

So I just ride, not asking what makes it a good adventure ride. If I get home safe it was a good ride.

Like a pilot... every landing you can walk away from is a good one.

So my take on being an 'adventure rider'... just be one, don't put yourself in a box against others.
Thanks for the post.It makes me feel better.Hardy,I appreciate your effort,but it's a mine field.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2018, 10:52:29 pm »
Hardy, maybe start another thread on Quest? :deal:
A good adventure rider is anyone who is willing to perhaps ride or travel a little bit out of their comfort zone, dabble in a little bit of risk on a journey somewhere on a bike. It does not even have to be a multi-day journey.

It has not one iota to do with riding skill or the type of bike or whether it is a team event or group ride or where you ride. 

"Oh he is a good adventure rider." .... So what.

BB 2007

I think you misunderstood the context of the thread. This is not a dick swinging exercise. I would just like to hear what riders thoughts are with regards to the personification of a good adventure rider. From what I saw, no one compared themselves against others etc.
Honda is taking aim at our segment of the motorcycle market and so far, everyone's opinion of what an adventure rider is, or what true adventure is, differs.
Anyway - getting a lot of good feedback here and enjoying the various opinions.

Do you prefer to ride solo?
Cheers
Hardy

:thumleft:

Not at all, Hardey. Sincere apologies if I came across differently!

Unfortunately this could become a swinging dick thing which is why I said what I said. I kinda go along with what Gérrard said: be careful about worrying too much you're an adventure rider or not, most of us braving the world out there on two wheels these days are adventurers....except of course the Harley guys! ;D Even then I suppose riding around in a gynecologists chair could be an adventure of a different sort!  >:D

I am all for hearing what people define as an adventure for them.

I really love riding solo. Its perhaps the most relaxing for me. But I also really enjoy riding in groups or with the wife on her bike, or even with little kids learning stuff. Anything to do with bikes - is a bit of an adventure for me. There is a time for everything and why not? :ricky:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:53:14 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 05:47:53 am »
The problem with definitions, is  if you don't comply, did you fail ? I'm on a trip, there is lots of sand and I fall a lot... was the trip a failure as an adventure.

So I just ride, not asking what makes it a good adventure ride. If I get home safe it was a good ride.

So my take on being an 'adventure rider'... just be one, don't put yourself in a box against others.
Thanks for the post.It makes me feel better.Hardy,I appreciate your effort,but it's a mine field.

I knew that before I started the thread. Very interesting though - the different takes on what adventure really is. :thumleft:

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2018, 06:14:48 am »

Menige ‘wannabe’ avonturiers kan ‘n blaadjie daar uit Oom Bokveld se boek kom skeur.  Hoe lank terug het Oom begin ry?  En hoeveel kilos op daai groen monster en al hoe ver Namib in? 

Net van een ontmoeting en die stories wat vertel word, is daar reeds die legende van Oom Kallie en sy avonture in my kop.  Teenstrydig met die stereotipe en iemand wat hier ‘n groot bydrae kan maak.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2018, 07:14:49 am »
I have been watching this thread with interest.  For me it's hard to use the word Adventure and Competition in one sentance.  When I read about technical skills, sand riding skills, mechanical skills, back-up vehicles etc the word Adventure starts to become a bit diluted.  So here are my thoughts.

1. Select a destination - No problem
2. Give each contestant a bike and a budget - No problem
3. Give them the option to travel alone or pick a partner - Unfortunately no corporate would open itself up to the risks involved in this.
4. Each contestant/team must kit their own bikes and plan their own route and take care of their own repairs and maintenance - What happens when they can't?
5. Each contestant/team must establish a blog and make use a the various social media platforms to create a following giving daily updates on their route, progress etc like a progressing ride report.  GoPro's, pictures, video's and drones can be used to bring their adventure alive and make following interesting.  Places of interest and interaction With the locals on the route can all be used The size of there following hits on their articles etc can be one of the criteria in selecting the ultimate Adventurer. - Would have been fantastic if there was any form of WI FI or cellphone reception in the area. Unfortunately there isn't.
5. Define waypoints where each contestant/team must check- in within a specified timeframe.- And at this point it becomes a race against time - Is it really adventure then?
6. These waypoints can be used to plan marketing events.  If a rider or team don't make it there on time they are disqualified. - What happens if he/they helped others and were late because of this?
7. Tracking devices can be used so you can track the progress of your rider or team as well as for saftey reasons otherwise riders are on their own. - We do.

I understand it is marketing and brand awareness that is the driving force behind the Quest but I believe the options around the points above are endless.  For me this would be a true adventure and I am sure it is the adventure most of us dream about every day

Thanks Captain Cook.

Fact of the matter is that an automotive brand would only get involved in a brand experience if the possible risks are limited to almost 0%
They would also want to capture the footage as much as possible.
I like your idea very much though. - pursue it, you never know.

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2018, 07:32:45 am »
Something like the Livingston Cup Camelman was planning IOW?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Leo

« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2018, 07:42:56 am »
I like what Captain Cook suggested with certain alterations. The flip side of the coin is however, if one is technically challenged like many of us elderly riders, would I now be disqualified as an adventure rider?

I would much rather ride to an idyllic location and sit and soak up the surroundings than now having to run around looking for internet connections to update my blog or book face any of that sh!t. Most of those places don't have coverage as it stands.

"Silence is golden, so shut up and get rich".
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2018, 07:48:46 am »
I like what Captain Cook suggested with certain alterations. The flip side of the coin is however, if one is technically challenged like many of us elderly riders, would I now be disqualified as an adventure rider?

I would much rather ride to an idyllic location and sit and soak up the surroundings than now having to run around looking for internet connections to update my blog or book face any of that sh!t. Most of those places don't have coverage as it stands.

"Silence is golden, so shut up and get rich".

Morning Leo.  :sip: 8) somewhere like the Philippolis Hotel..... I am definitely disqualified, as I officially have a pensioners card... :peepwall:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:49:41 am by Welsh »
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2018, 07:59:31 am »
I think that if you are technically challenged, it sort of eliminates solo riding to remote destinations for you.

Having said that, no amount of technical knowledge is going to sort out a blown CDI on a 701 at Shop no. 1, Orupembe. :pot:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2018, 08:14:03 am »
I think that if you are technically challenged, it sort of eliminates solo riding to remote destinations for you.

Having said that, no amount of technical knowledge is going to sort out a blown CDI on a 701 at Shop no. 1, Orupembe. :pot:

True

Online Dux

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
I think what I am seeing is that adventure is different things to different people , some might be quite content to do a weekend in the Cederberg while others feel the need to do the whole of Africa or the world for that matter , some prefer solo , others in groups and then again some prefer technical rides while others prefer easy gravel rides , some with backup and some without .
I don't think it makes any of them more or less desirable , it once again all depends on the person .

Sub

Take two people going on a similar trip.  The one has bike problems or can’t fix a puncture, run into trouble along the way, can’t cover the distance, arrive late at night. The other get it done without a fuss and less trouble.

It is a bit of experience, a bit of planning, bit of mechanical aptitude, bit of riding skill, etc. And a lot if attitude.

Sometimes it is also a dose of luck , good or bad , I don't feel punctures are down to skill or planning unless the person departs on a trip with an almost bald tyre , but planning and mechanical abilities do help in making it easier to deal with scenario's on a journey  , and waiting on the side of the road for help to arrive does not constitute good planning , this I have seen first hand already  :o
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline The Muffin man

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • When in doubt, give gas!!
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »
Sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Previous bikes: '98 Kawa ZZR400;'07 Yamaha YZ250F; '08 KTM 950 SE; '09 KTM 990 Adventure; 98 Honda XR400 R, 97 Honda XR600, 98 Honda XR200, '13 KTM 1190 R, '10 KTM 300xc-w...

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2018, 07:33:36 pm »
Sub

SM

Did you mean lack of stamina or fitness with "can't cover the distance"? - Interesting comment.

No not only stamina. It can be a lot of other factors.  They might have been optimistic in planning their distance and could not reach the destination. It might have been due to navigation errors. Or they had a puncture and no puncture repair tools and someone had to go to the closest town to get stuff. Or tackled terrain outside their comfort zone. It links back to all the options you have given above.

A 4x4 tour guide told me one day that a successful trip is one where he got all the vehicle through without any damage.

To me that links to a good adventure bike rider. One that can go out and have an adventure without much drama and avoid or solve problems that might occur.
Unfortunately that links back to being good at all the items you mentioned above and not only excelling in a few.

Unfortunately I don't know how you would link it to an event or competition (I presume that is what this thread is for)
-Take preparation as an example: You can try to prep for every eventuality but then you will probably overpack. A balance is needed. 
  The good adventure rider is not necessarily the one who prepared the best but the one who can make work with what he has or matching his prep to the trip.
-Trip planning: Not necessarily the guy who can plan the furthest or most technical route but the one who can match it to his riding ability and maybe the ability of the bike.
etc, etc.

Offline Leo

« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
Morning Leo.  :sip: 8) somewhere like the Philippolis Hotel..... I am definitely disqualified, as I officially have a pensioners card... :peepwall:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: That was a nasty day, but a good memory none the less. It was an adventure negotiating the road to Norvalspont  ;)

Seriously = Officially Welsh?  :thumleft:

Hijack Off  :ricky:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Online Bokveld

« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »
   Nee wat Kobus,ek was maar net gelukkig om die regte stories en mense raak te loop op my swerftogte.

Usually my appetite for adventure far exceeds my riding ability.That's why most of my trips bordered on stupidity.But to be a good adventure rider, I would say riding and mechanical skills are important.Then, get on your bike and head for the hills!

Offline Rexc-w

« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2018, 02:26:46 pm »
To me the 3 most important characteristics for an Adventure Rider are:

1.   Adventure spirit:
•   ‘Adventure’ means different things to different people. For the real novice, his/her first ride onto a dirt road might be an ‘adventure’.  Riding a sandy dirt road for the first time is perhaps the same ‘Adventure’ to the novice than riding Northern Namibia is for the experienced.
•   To me an ‘Adventure” should contain some - Challenge. It should challenge you mentally, physically and your skills to some sensible/responsible level.
•   Part of the ‘Adventure/Adventure Spirit’ lies in the planning. Route scouting and planning. Planning logistics – fuel/water/food/spares/tools/accommodation/emergencies etc.
•   Whatever ‘Adventure’ means to you, prepare for it and get out there and do it.

2.   Overall riding skill in various terrain:
•   This was something that annoyed the crap out of me at Quest Boot Camp.  I would probably have shat my pants if one more Crew Member emphasized that – “ We are not looking for Riding Gods!!!” I never saw anyone trying to show-off.
•   QUEST was not looking for Chris Birches or Graham Jarvises, but you definitely needed riders with appropriate skills.  Northern Namibia is not the place to come and learn basic bike skills.
•   You made the right selection last year as everybody adapted and made it through safely.   
•    Someone without the appropriate skills should never be selected for an event like Quest.

3.   Mechanical Sympathy and Restraint:
•   An unnecessary mechanical  or injury due to “windgat geit” can spoil an good adventure for an entire group. When you’re riding in remote areas like eg Lesotho, Transkei, Northern Namibia etc – this is not the time and place to impress your riding buddies by taking unnecessary risks. ALWAYS ride within yourself and properly evaluate the risk in riding certain routes and obstacles.
•   To recover a broken bike out of remote areas can be a huge logistical challenge and inconvenience – Not part of the ‘Adventure’ thanks.
•   To get an injured rider out of the same area can be a logistical and financial challenge. At worst – it could cost someone his life.
•   Most of us have a regular day job and families to care for.  Think about that.

Maybe something to consider for future QUEST events. This is not criticism, it is just my personal opinion.  Maybe the engineer in me ;-))!
Last year the teams competed for a GRAND PRIZE.  Nobody knew what the rules were. Not the riders, nor the followers. It creates an environment for participants to do a whole lot of  - pretending - in order to do things that might impress the judges.  Looking at the judging from the outside, it seemed very subjective.
Make the rules clear from the start. That will make scoring objective and everyone will know how to play.
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline Offside

« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »

Different strokes for different folks.
For me a sense of isolation gives the feeling that one is on an adventure.
So never more than 3 bikes and no back up vehicle.
Greater the risk,greater the adventure