Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 17130 times)

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2018, 04:06:42 pm »
sub   :sip:

all very interesting.

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:25 am »
Some fascinating views here.

“Adventure” is the key word. If you’re still in your comfort zone you are not having an adventure. An adventure is an invigorating experience, because at some stage, with degrees of relativity, you have had to kak off, either because your skills level have been extended, or because you’ve had to deal with technical failure, or because you have simply bitten off more than you can chew, and therefore had to chew harder.

All “adventure riding” as we know it on this forum is commodified. There are , obviously, degrees of commodification. And therefore grades of adventure. The world of rock climbing offers a useful analogy. There is “adventure climbing” and “sport climbing”, with degrees of risk and uncertainty being the defining elements, as well as difficulty. Backcountry, self-supported, solo, is what defines true adventure, whether as a rider or climber.

To return to this thread then, having support or back-up is opting for more commodification and therefore less adventure, regardless of the terrain , the suitability of the bike, or the skills level  of the rider. From the outset then , if you’re a true adventure rider you aspire to riding solo and self-supported, and as back country as possible.

But we all know we can’t do that all the time... or necessarily even want to...

Among the multiple ride reports that I love reading on this forum, a few stand out as true adventure. The image of Expat rebuilding his clutch on Van Zyl’s Pass, or Metal Jockey riding Kaokaland with his wife and daughter, or Max the Panda and his mates riding the Doodsakker in Angola  ( to name just a few) quicken the spirit of adventure in me...

Of course Hardy’s question requires that all adventure then demands individualized contextualization.

But I would hope that “true adventure” requires that when you set out alone, or with your mate(s), your vagabond spirit is soaring, and your guts are churning with an ecstatic dread of the uncertainty of it all...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:51 am »
If I did not fall once on a trip, it was not much of a challenge/adventure
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2018, 09:27:10 am »
Just gone through this thread, nursing a virus and a bad case of post ride blues. So below might be a ramblings of a fool, please take it as such.

My choices in no set order are
1. Overall riding skills in various terrain
2. Mechanical aptitude
3. Vasbyt factor (grit, determination, perseverance, adaptability, patience, faith)

1. is self explanatory while 2. is needed if like me you tend to have little Mechanical sympathy and restraint and 3. trumps all.

I love a challenge and grab it with both hands. I dont like easy and would rather not ride if its a cruise. Adventures should be FUN and a journey without FUN is just a trip. All of us have different views of FUN. Personally I realized long ago that the easy parts of life are quickly forgotten but those tough times are always remembered, often fondly.

The above Poll is a fair spread of requirements and all are needed in different amounts at different times but most are not a deal breaker where it comes to a adventure.

Give me a challenge, give me a adventure and if you say I cant do it. Fuck you! Stand aside and let me show you. I will do it and I will make it work. Maybe this is why I prefer doing my adventures alone!

Nothing worth while comes easy!

Going back to my virus induced fever and chicken soup!   :deal:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Toors

• Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:32 pm »
I think there is just one:

The absolute unfaltering need to see what is on the other-side... of the hill/river/ocean/desert ....
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Zanie

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:16 pm »
If I was limited to three options I'd have to pick the following:

1. Vasbyt factor
2. Adventure spirit
3. Mechanical aptitude

The reason I left out riding skills: This is something you build over time. Adventure is all relative. When new, the first piece of gravel was an adventure, then the first piece of rocky road, then the first piece of sand.

You can build skill, but if you don't have the "vasbyt factor" you may just give up at the first patch of sand and then the whole thing ends there and skills don't get built regardless. Vasbyt and that adventure spirit to go explore more and push the boundaries can get you further eventually.

A case in point is something I saw at a very sandy funduro. My unending respect went towards a beginner who took more than double the amount of time I took to do the same lap...without giving up. I'm not sure I could have done it if in the same situation. She finished through sheer determination. No tears. No fuss. 4 hours to do 30km. And she had a smile to show afterwards. Hectic.

And then, in the spirit of "getting you further": some mechanical aptitude or at least the basics of changing a puncture (or at least wanting to learn how to do this). I remember watching a show that resembled the format of Long Way Round, but was about 2 guys riding around China. When one got a puncture, they said "the bike is broken" and loaded it onto the next truck that happened by. They lost credibility for me at that point.

Linking back to the Quest: What I liked was that there were some "everyday" people. They weren't all "riding gods" who had trained for weeks to compete, which is the (admittedly my own) impression I get from something like the GS Trophy.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2018, 10:18:56 pm »
Interesting to see everyones take on the subject

I think (me personally) with respect that if one needs to start laying down rules about what defines a good adventure rider, then you may consider looking at safer hobbies.

Not meant at you Hardy - you simply asking the audience what they think and you have proofed to be a big adventurer already - that is why many people put their trust in you and go on your trips which is great  :thumleft:

Point I want to make; If I ever had to ask myself whether I qualify and let the possible consequences stop me from going places I would not have lived at all. Throwing a leg over a bike in it's own is already a calculated risk. I am a paramedic (my job) and I have seen way too many bike accidents, skydiving accidents, violence etc but it has not stopped me from living my dream - Maybe I did think 'what if' but for example; here I am on one of the most remote sites in the world with no medical backup. If anything happens to me medical wise - trauma of whatever I am done. Yet I am here, because I live for the day. There are some 'common sense' things mentioned (yes you will have to know how to change a tube) but all you need to 'live' is am adventurous spirit.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2018, 05:25:13 pm »
Interesting to see everyones take on the subject

I think (me personally) with respect that if one needs to start laying down rules about what defines a good adventure rider, then you may consider looking at safer hobbies.

Not meant at you Hardy - you simply asking the audience what they think and you have proofed to be a big adventurer already - that is why many people put their trust in you and go on your trips which is great  :thumleft:

Point I want to make; If I ever had to ask myself whether I qualify and let the possible consequences stop me from going places I would not have lived at all. Throwing a leg over a bike in it's own is already a calculated risk. I am a paramedic (my job) and I have seen way too many bike accidents, skydiving accidents, violence etc but it has not stopped me from living my dream - Maybe I did think 'what if' but for example; here I am on one of the most remote sites in the world with no medical backup. If anything happens to me medical wise - trauma of whatever I am done. Yet I am here, because I live for the day. There are some 'common sense' things mentioned (yes you will have to know how to change a tube) but all you need to 'live' is am adventurous spirit.

Tom - You are living proof of True Adventure and have my utmost respect.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2018, 05:49:50 pm »
 I remember watching a show that resembled the format of Long Way Round, but was about 2 guys riding around China. When one got a puncture, they said "the bike is broken" and loaded it onto the next truck that happened by. They lost credibility for me at that point.

Yes those two brothers only use two ply toilet paper!! Maybe if my surname was Pile I'd only use two ply too!! :lol8:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/bmw-motorrad-usa/guinness-world-record-for-f-800-gs-brothers/211883595489690/
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Meteor

• Bike: Gas Gas (all models)
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:05 pm »
I'm making a list
People who-
1) have bought 1 hundreds rands' 2minute noodles for a trip

The rest are going through an expensive midlife crisis.  :pot:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:05 pm »
I'm making a list
People who-
1) have bought 1 hundreds rands' 2minute noodles for a trip

The rest are going through an expensive midlife crisis.  :pot:
:imaposer: Nearly spat my ipad full of coke!
I am a cheapskate, only bought 50 rands worth before my last Lesotho trip.
But 200 rands biltong and dry wors!
I was asked very nicely to stop disappearing when I go on an adventure.
My contingency plan is to walk out and if I cannot walk, get the locals to dump me in a taxi to the nearest clinic!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2018, 08:22:17 am »
This is a fairly old topic, but it's still going so I'll weigh in with a couple of thoughts.
First the voting list, I guess I have at least a bit of most of the attributes listed, but I definitely fall short on at least a couple.

Item 4. General knowledge of navigation. I rely on memory of paper maps previously consulted, but not carried. Or signposts, or not very great general sense of direction!  Medical skills - nope, not much. Flora and fauna, probably even less. I've been known to tell people that all I know about birds is that they come coated in a secret blend of herbs and spices.  :biggrin:

Item 7.Communication, and ability to interact with people - sadly lacking, though I guess I can ask for directions, but not in many different languages.

But riding skill, there's the rub. It's been pointed out that this develops with experience and that's certainly true, but after lots (and lots) of experience it sort of goes over the hill and into decline. Time was, I wasn't too bad and there wasn't too much technical stuff that I couldn't manage, but these days I have to miss out on certain terrain. I can start out well enough at first on fairly rough going, for maybe half an hour to an hour, then the road seems to get rougher even though in reality it doesn't. It's just that I'm tiring and weakening, and the bike takes on a will of its own and stubbornly refuses to do as it's told.

No, I reckon experience is over rated. Too much of it can be a bitch!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:09:32 am by jaybiker »

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:42 am »
This is a fairly old topic, but it's still going so I'll weigh in with a couple of thoughts.

Did you strike a blank there boet.  :laughing4:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2018, 08:38:39 am »

A bit thoughtless I thought.  :sip:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2018, 08:39:44 am »

Nah, Prob just lost the train of thought  :imaposer:
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2018, 08:44:39 am »
Nah, Prob just lost the train of thought  :imaposer:

Hi-jack! This IS about bikes, NOT trains!
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2018, 08:53:27 am »
If you ever have a bit of time, the following is quite an interesting read - Debunking the myth of the modern-day adventurer.

http://tomallen.info/why-i-feel-deeply-uncomfortable-when-people-call-me-an-adventurer/

About the author:

http://tomallen.info
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2018, 09:13:16 am »
See what I mean? Start well enough, but then (lack of) computer skill lets me down  :(  See modified version.

Offline Lou1

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2018, 09:43:53 am »

No, I reckon experience and knowledge is over rated. Too much of it can be a bitch!

Agree

Best adventures is when you where young, dumb and full of cum
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:44:52 am by Lou1 »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2018, 10:17:42 am »
To put things in some form of perspective, these riders I see in morning and afternoon traffic on our busy roads are at higher risk than the rider crossing a desert.