Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 19261 times)

Offline Fransw

Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:46 am »
To put things in some form of perspective, these riders I see in morning and afternoon traffic on our busy roads are at higher risk than the rider crossing a desert.

Fact!..

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2018, 11:18:05 am »
To put things in some form of perspective, these riders I see in morning and afternoon traffic on our busy roads are at higher risk than the rider crossing a desert.
Die apteek Vespa's now they live dangerously and adventourisly every day. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Oilspill

« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2018, 05:24:19 pm »
An adventurer is going into the unknown "for you", taking informed risks when the majority crowd says it's dangerous or impossible, not being suicidal but facing your fears, not giving up but pushing through, all with a sense of wonder that even in our little corner of the world we will never experience it all, and yet we must endeavor to do just that, why? Well because we are alive and it's there to experience.

It is not the kit you have, the marketing you believe, the story you tell, or the fame you achieve that defines you as adventurer,  only you can define your own truth.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »
An adventurer is going into the unknown "for you", taking informed risks when the majority crowd says it's dangerous or impossible, not being suicidal but facing your fears, not giving up but pushing through, all with a sense of wonder that even in our little corner of the world we will never experience it all, and yet we must endeavor to do just that, why? Well because we are alive and it's there to experience.

It is not the kit you have, the marketing you believe, the story you tell, or the fame you achieve that defines you as adventurer,  only you can define your own truth.

Very true, and yet so sad to see how many riders get a less than full experience because of the marketing experience they believe.

If I had no money for any decent motorcycle, I'd be "exploring" around on a cheap Chinamen, yet finances keep many away from riding because they cannot afford a "real" bike.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »

Very true, and yet so sad to see how many riders get a less than full experience because of the marketing experience they believe.

If I had no money for any decent motorcycle, I'd be "exploring" around on a cheap Chinamen, yet finances keep many away from riding because they cannot afford a "real" bike.
Oh ok, now I know why I took an rd400 on the Sabie area foresty roads!
Thanks guys now after all these years of being told I am mad, I realise not more than you Dan :imaposer: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline WNaude

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2018, 11:39:34 am »
Hi Guys,
Probably too late, but as a 30 year old, with adventure running through my veins, here is my 2 cents worth: 

Kobus is spot on with his saying that most 20 to 30 year olds canít afford an adventure bike, thus not fully experience the adventure rider spirit. I could never afford a proper adventure bike but my finances did allow me to buy a few forgotten Honda XR classics which I restored.

None the less that never stopped me from having an adventure. Whether it was building my own ďkaskarĒ and riding it down in our street, or having to be very fortunate and doing a solo trip through Namibia on my boetís 1150 GSA.

To me it is all about the spirit inside you, your willingness to explore and eagerness to see the unforeseen. If you have that passion, it can never be taken away. Passion is something that canít be learned nor bought. Mechanical skills, endurance, stamina, strength, knowledge is all things you learn as life takes you on various journeys. Having all these skills doesnít make you an adventure rider, it make you a good rider. Adventure comes from within.

Reading all the comment above and having followed the 2017 Quest closely, I can only dream of achieving all these things. But I will stand to my point, as a 30 year old I might not have all the skills and experience that defines a good adventure rider, but my passion, willingness and drive to learn, explore and go that extra mile makes me an adventure rider. I am young, I am fit, I am strong and I have passion. These are the only things that I can use to grow and evolve into a true experienced adventure rider.

I have learned all the necessary skills to take care of my bike, but no one has taught me to have a passion for adventure.

Getting on my bike every weekend and just driving on any dirt road I can find for as long and far as I can, man that feeling can never be taken away and sends chills down my spine.
1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

The following users thanked this post: Lou1

Offline XR boy

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »
The one that comes home in one piece from whatever the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Matewis

Online BuRP

« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2019, 03:19:50 pm »
I knew that before I started the thread. Very interesting though - the different takes on what adventure really is.

You earlier mentioned the Land Rover Camel Challenge.
Does anybody know why Toyota Landcruisers never were used?
It wouldn't have been a challenge anymore!

Nice thread, needs a bit of humour  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro, KTM 790 Adv R, KTM 790 Adv R Rally ordered

Offline JoeR

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:15 am »
The one that comes home in one piece from whatever the ride

That does not only apply to adventure bikers ....

Online Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2019, 01:16:18 pm »
A Bike
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs