Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 14492 times)

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 07:51:44 pm »
I like your initial summary already Hardy.

I think firstly it must be a person willing to leave his comfort zone. someone to actually go on trips with unknown factors.
and then also, someone with mechanical sympathy, while you should be pushing your bike you should also know where is the limits as it must take you home as well.

Molten - You will not believe how many riders that went on trips with me had to load their bikes on the back of the bakkie after day three of a twelve day trip, because of exactly what you just mentioned. Mechanical sympathy (or the lack thereof) has been the achilis heel of may riders on our tours.
Excellent comment

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n, Chantal Burger

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:16 pm »
Basic medical skills.  Tipies soos ‘makker hulp’ wat ons in die weermag gedoen het.

Respect for life - both his own and those around him.  This will keep him from doing silly things.

Unselfish.

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

The following users thanked this post: Chantal Burger

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 07:54:26 pm »
Basic medical skills.  Tipies soos ‘makker hulp’ wat ons in die weermag gedoen het.

Respect for life - both his own and those around him.  This will keep him from doing silly things.

Unselfish.

Good comment - added under general knowledge

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:47 pm »
the ability to genuinely and happily interact with local people no matter their social standing

With or without payment involved? :peepwall:

dunno mate but personally I don't whip out my wallet when asking for directions - do you ?

Sorry, my mistake. I didn’t know you had asking for directions in mind.  What do you whip out then?

Maybe I need to clarify for you , in all my journeys on various continents by bike  you need to interact with the locals , be it to find petrol , somewhere to stay , ask for help etc etc
Personally most of those interactions haven't involved money but rather a good attitude .
The same applies for border crossings , dealing with police road blocks  etc

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:18 pm »
the ability to genuinely and happily interact with local people no matter their social standing

With or without payment involved? :peepwall:

dunno mate but personally I don't whip out my wallet when asking for directions - do you ?

Sorry, my mistake. I didn’t know you had asking for directions in mind.  What do you whip out then?

Maybe I need to clarify for you , in all my journeys on various continents by bike  you need to interact with the locals , be it to find petrol , somewhere to stay , ask for help etc etc
Personally most of those interactions haven't involved money but rather a good attitude .

Shanti - a Bad attitude (I was tired and irritated after 9 days in the Sahara) cost me three days in jail in Bamako - Mali)
Spot on comment there

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 08:05:00 pm »

We are on the same page, my friend. I was pulling you chain (noted the little picture "peepwall" I attached?). Your comment is spot on and I support it, cause it hits true – that is why I did not refute it. I could not, so I pulled a joke. (it is precisely my experience as well) Peace?
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 08:05:38 pm »
There are those adventure riders that will quite comfortably take a solo trip in remote areas, while others will only do it in groups, supported.

There is a huge difference here, as the rider willing to gooi ensame krokkodil needs to be very comfortable with his skill set, and have a lot of trust in his bike.

The groupie, while also fully on an adventure as far as he is concerned, actually often lacks both the above traits, hence feeling safer in a group with support.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:38 pm »
looking at the poll options I at first thought it sucked, all of them are equally important.

but then thought of the woman that have done round Africa trips and I choose the following three options, as they will take care of all the others.
1. Adv spirit
2. vasbyt
3. communication skills
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 08:08:03 pm »

We are on the same page, my friend. I was pulling you chain (noted the little picture "peepwall" I attached?). Your comment is spot on and I support it, cause it hits true – that is why I did not refute it. I could not, so I pulled a joke. (it is precisely my experience as well) Peace?

Ha ha sure ;)  dont know if the  :peepwall: will work with a bad ass Mozambican cop looking for beer money 

Offline KarooKid

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 08:11:05 pm »
You must be curious and have an adventurous spirit wanting to explore the unknown.

Yes riding ability is important but most world adventure riders started out without any experience. They were curious and wanted to step out of their comfort zone.

Be pasionate and inspiring. Be Michnus.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:15 pm »
Guys and girls - please vote, it will help me to develop Quest - True Adventure into an even better event than 2017.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:20:44 pm by Hardy de Kock »

Offline Fransw

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 08:20:24 pm »
Interesting thread Hardy!

I came across a lot of different adventure people, in the army and other. They all have one trade in common, they are very chilled and laidback!! They dont get stressed up for shit!! Forget about bike skills, toughness, paraat, etc..

Mike Horn is a good example! He's soft spoken very chilled and NOT the A-male type!

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
I do not consider myself a huge adventure rider as I have not had much opportunity, but I have always had the attitude of "I will get back, maybe bit damaged, but I will get out. Bike is disposable."
To do adventure, not only biking, you must have that " Go for it" attitude, and bugger the consequences.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »
Interesting thread Hardy!

I came across a lot of different adventure people, in the army and other. They all have one trade in common, they are very chilled and laidback!! They dont get stressed up for shit!! Forget about bike skills, toughness, paraat, etc..

Mike Horn is a good example! He's soft spoken very chilled and NOT the A-male type!

Thanks FransW

This topic (apart from it being very useful for Quest) interests me, as we all have different reasons for doing what we do. If I had a poll here to ask whom everone thought was fantastic adventure riders, it would be very interesting, as the criteria is subjective.
Fascinating, the fact that there are no prizes or prerequisite levels of skill required in our "sport".

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:07 pm »
Patience , especially when riding in groups of varying skill and speed levels .
Being level headed to be able to handle difficult or stressful situations without falling apart .
Riding skills as in being able to ride a wide variety of terrain , not necessary being the fastest at everything but being competent on all , and also being able to ride economically to conserve energy and maintain concentration .
Technical abilities would help , but more so being able to think outside the box to repair certain things , McGyver type mindset .
The bottom line is that an adventure rider needs to be be lots of things .

Absolutely - couple that with an open mind when it comes to new cultures, cuisine, and all things outside your comfort zone, and you have the perfect adv rider

Offline Dux

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 08:39:06 pm »
I think what gets most people is foreign cuisine , best is to eat something and query the contents afterwards  :biggrin:  , and patience to deal with foreigners , more so when there isn't a common language  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:39:49 pm by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline 2StrokeDan

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 08:42:02 pm »
I think what gets most people is foreign cuisine , best is to eat something and query the contents afterwards  :biggrin:  , and patience to deal with foreigners , more so when there isn't a common language  :thumleft:

That's why I am a great people-dodger.

Offline Dux

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:51 pm »
What about curiosity ? I have always been curious to know what is out there so the only way to find out is to go there  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 08:48:39 pm »
There are those adventure riders that will quite comfortably take a solo trip in remote areas, while others will only do it in groups, supported.

There is a huge difference here, as the rider willing to gooi ensame krokkodil needs to be very comfortable with his skill set, and have a lot of trust in his bike.

The groupie, while also fully on an adventure as far as he is concerned, actually often lacks both the above traits, hence feeling safer in a group with support.

Was waiting for this post, as I think these skills might differentiate the level of adventure rider.
There is nothing wrong with riding in a group, but most riders would not wander alone into the unknown armed with only themselves.
I wish I had the mechanical skills to fix anything with very little, as this is an admirable skill (I rate it higher than many professions).
You would have to be really confident with your abilities,  to ride alone, in the areas we work.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:49:57 pm by Hardy de Kock »

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 08:49:48 pm »
Some of the best 'adventure' riders I have come across where in the early nineties (1992) in India , people from all walks of life were landing up in a place called Manali waiting for the road to Leh to open up . The passes are snowed over and in summer the road opens for the journey through the Himalaya . Most of the people were on clapped out enfields bought on the cheap from previous travelers who had done the same journey . The riding knowledge was average to sometimes non-existent and the mechanical knowledge down to oil changes and on the side of the road head scratching . Most of the travelers myself included had our first 'adventure' riding experience the day we bought our second hand bikes in the  Paharganj in Delhi , you met them on the road dealing with the intricacy's of broken cables and the like ...   the spirit of these travelers is what I remember the most , there was no matching protective gear - jeans at the most , GPS was non-existent or insanely expensive, helmets hmm well .... I formed great friendships on the sides of the passes up north and the many chai shops through southern India . One thing still stays the same for me , the further into the wild and unknown the greater the connection with fellow bikers , I guess we all understand the exposure adventure biking brings and that is what defines it for me