Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 12656 times)

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2018, 06:39:41 am »
There are those adventure riders that will quite comfortably take a solo trip in remote areas, while others will only do it in groups, supported.

There is a huge difference here, as the rider willing to gooi ensame krokkodil needs to be very comfortable with his skill set, and have a lot of trust in his bike.

The groupie, while also fully on an adventure as far as he is concerned, actually often lacks both the above traits, hence feeling safer in a group with support.

Good point. To do serious adventure trips Ďsoloí also requires that the rider be willing to take a fair bit of risk.

IMO the rider(s) need to be self-sustainable for periods of time. Meaning the group carries camping equipment, water food etc for a few days on the bikes. As far as Iím concerned support vehicles are frowned upon when it comes to ďtrue adventureĒ

I hear you. Knowing that things can go wrong, and that things probably will, also points to someone being responsible. I do believe people need to get the "no - back up allowed" thing off their shoulders.
Max the Panda and co had the adventure of a lifetime in Northern Namibia - and it still took a helicopter, a Land Cruiser and serious good fortune to complete their journey. If you ask Ian now, if he would do things a little different, his answer might just surprise you.

Eating and sleeping well also contributes to a more enjoyable adventure.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2018, 06:41:42 am »
I like much of them. Some others?

Have a purpose, a mission, an aimed for outcome, specific box to tick. (even if your purpose is to get lost or dwaal)
Respect for the environment and those that make their living from it. Noise, trash, tearing up the place, trespassing, leaving gates open, etc.
A ride report! Even if you don't publish it, at least take pictures! Memories fade and should be saved.
Smell the roses as often as possible. It's a privileged to be able to do this.
Stop and help other adventure bikers when you can.

Very deep thoughts on the "soul and spirit" of the true adventurer. How high in the order do you rate riding skills Andrew?

It's more important to recognise your level and be real about that. People who misrepresent or overestimate their ability to their group have caused much kak and tears. Being a little stretched is fine, but there's line beyond where is becomes dangerous or nasty. Women are far more honest about their skills and that then is easy to work with. Guys have an ego, it's an issue.

Sure having some skills is a bonus factor when going a little more off the beaten track. But, if skills were a prime pre-requisite for Adventure Riding, then it would have become a competitive sport.

So I rate awareness of limitations way higher than outright level of skills.

Fully agree

Offline blauth

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2018, 06:46:02 am »
I like much of them. Some others?

Have a purpose, a mission, an aimed for outcome, specific box to tick. (even if your purpose is to get lost or dwaal)
Respect for the environment and those that make their living from it. Noise, trash, tearing up the place, trespassing, leaving gates open, etc.
A ride report! Even if you don't publish it, at least take pictures! Memories fade and should be saved.
Smell the roses as often as possible. It's a privileged to be able to do this.
Stop and help other adventure bikers when you can.

Very deep thoughts on the "soul and spirit" of the true adventurer. How high in the order do you rate riding skills Andrew?

It's more important to recognise your level and be real about that. People who misrepresent or overestimate their ability to their group have caused much kak and tears. Being a little stretched is fine, but there's line beyond where is becomes dangerous or nasty. Women are far more honest about their skills and that then is easy to work with. Guys have an ego, it's an issue.

Sure having some skills is a bonus factor when going a little more off the beaten track. But, if skills were a prime pre-requisite for Adventure Riding, then it would have become a competitive sport.

So I rate awareness of limitations way higher than outright level of skills.

Yup, been on many long rides where a newer rider who acknowledges their skills are limited comes out at the end of a single weekend, a good rider. It's incredible how much a person can up their skill level in a single ride.....if they survive long enough... ;D

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2018, 07:01:24 am »
Being prepared to push yourself through situations outside of your comfort zone.
Almost actively looking for those experiences
...within reason of course
You must be able to manage discomfort

Openness acceptance to figuring things out. About your surroundings, other people, your machine and especially yourself

Being able to adapt when things don't go as planned... because often they won't

Says the guy who took the sand monster head on with a 230kg bike and bitch slapped the consequences  :imaposer:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2018, 07:02:48 am »
My choices in what I believe is their order of priority

1. Adventure Spirit - without an appetite for adventure and "get up 'n go gees" you are better off staying at home and watching Long Way Round on TV

2. Vasbyt - things don't always go according to plan ...trying to sleep in a muddy ditch somewhere is not always as fun as you thought it might be ...the reality is far different from the fantasy ... the glamorous pictures and stories from ride reports are often like what I call somebody's "Facebook Life" ... showing only all the good stuff and smiles. It does not help to complain or give up - if the experience does not kill you it will make you stronger.

3. Communication ability - on my recent trip to Kaokoland with Xpat and Straatkat we encountered many Himbas and Hereros who could not speak a word of English or Afrikaans ...we needed fuel, water, food and some rest - spending a few extra minutes opening up and exercising patience we were all soon old friends understanding each other perfectly by hand gestures and body language ...Xpat even left that village with 3 marriage proposals

And my thoughts on the others

Riding skill is important but knowing and accepting your limits is most important - adventure riding is not racing - there is no point exceeding your skill set and end up hurting yourself in some far off place or breaking your bike - things can and do happen in the blink of an eye - ride comfortably on an adventure ride and think

Mechanical ability - at the very least be able to fix your own punctures by yourself with your own tools and spares - does not really matter how long it takes you to do it. If the bike is maintained and prepped before an adventure ride then everything else should be sweet and accept that most major breakdowns cannot be fixed on the roadside with what you have with you (skills, tools and spares) - accept that you may need to be recovered and have the bike fixed elsewhere - and realise this quickly so that you can make arrangements to get out of breakdown spot to repair spot quickly and efficiently instead of wasting time standing around puzzling or attempting to fix something that is beyond you.

Mechanical sympathy - petrol engines need 3 things to perform properly ...fuel, lubrication and cooling - know where and how to check these levels are correct ...super critical on small engined bikes (like my KTM 500 that only holds 1,5l oil and less than 1l coolant) - when one of these 3 things is missing from the equation then shit happens. This comes down to basic prep too and knowing your machine. Listen for strange noises, clunks, knocks and try and identify where they are coming from - don't just twist the throttle more and hope they go away

Packing - you don't need the kitchen sink. Less is always more.

Navigation and general knowledge - have a good general idea of where you are going and how to get there without a GPS ... because if your GPS fails that should not mean the end of your ride. Know how to use your GPS - you would be surprised how many people do not know how to use them ...they only buy them and have them because they see others with them ... classic case of monkey see monkey do

Good comments  - How was Northern Namibia Justin?

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2018, 07:05:47 am »
Well Hardy, this just difficult because the obvious answer is 'all of the above' but this is my personal experience...

Ego: I've ridden with lots of lads who have shit loads of bucks but no clue how to ride a bike. They then run off to BMW or KTM and buy a 990 or 800/1200 or something like that. It ALWAYS end in grumpyness on their part. If EGO could be left out of the equation, there would be a lot more happy adv riders out there....this is partly why you okes had such a joll on the CRF250 launch.

Maintenance: I've also ridden with okes who just don't maintain their bikes, have no clue how to repair a puncture (not that they could because they don't have the stuff with them). Even if you do know and have puncture repair kit, sometimes it can still be a bitch.

Time: If you're in a big group, it is like planning a work day, consider it only four hours long. If you're on your own, consider it 6 hours long. Never underestimate the negative power of procrastination.......time planning is difficult because you never know what's waiting for you on-route.

Planning: too detailed planning detracts from the adventure. My best trips are those where I have a destination and a timeframe and nothing else other than myself, my kit and a well prepared bike.

Safety: Safety planning is important ... But unfortunately I suck at that. I never know where the nearest hospital is but I've also very rarely experienced where there isn't someone to be found who is willing to help, especially farmers!!!

What Kamanya said above, respect.

Slow is slow. Fast is dangerous and consistency is progress.

The ego thing - Many friendships and many trips ended badly because of this.
I guess that is why adventure riders in general are very particular about choosing riding companions.

Good points Barry.

Quick question - Do you have issue with back up, if the trip is cross border?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:11:39 am by Hardy de Kock »

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:20 am »
To my mind one of the most important aspects of riding is confidence.
The first aspect is self confidence - believing you can cope will make it so.
The second is confidence in your motorcycle - this is achieved by knowing the weak points of your particular bike ( they all have some) and either rectifying it or be prepared to deal with it on the trip.
Experience is what cements above and continuously improves confidence.
Meticulous bike maintenance is key - not only by the dealer but by yourself.

Very true DR.
I have also ridden with a few people that I had to assist in fixing a puncture for the first time in their lives, which was cause for alarm at that point. Later on I realised that it was a big step for them, and today, they probably assist others too.

Offline detour

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2018, 07:14:22 am »
There are those adventure riders that will quite comfortably take a solo trip in remote areas, while others will only do it in groups, supported.

There is a huge difference here, as the rider willing to gooi ensame krokkodil needs to be very comfortable with his skill set, and have a lot of trust in his bike.

The groupie, while also fully on an adventure as far as he is concerned, actually often lacks both the above traits, hence feeling safer in a group with support.

Good point. To do serious adventure trips Ďsoloí also requires that the rider be willing to take a fair bit of risk.

IMO the rider(s) need to be self-sustainable for periods of time. Meaning the group carries camping equipment, water food etc for a few days on the bikes. As far as Iím concerned support vehicles are frowned upon when it comes to ďtrue adventureĒ

I hear you. Knowing that things can go wrong, and that things probably will, also points to someone being responsible. I do believe people need to get the "no - back up allowed" thing off their shoulders.
Max the Panda and co had the adventure of a lifetime in Northern Namibia - and it still took a helicopter, a Land Cruiser and serious good fortune to complete their journey. If you ask Ian now, if he would do things a little different, his answer might just surprise you.

Eating and sleeping well also contributes to a more enjoyable adventure.

I get why it is attractive to eat better, sleep better, ride with less weight on the bike etc.

From a capability point of view, all riders who do unsupported adventures can do supported adventures. But not all riders who do supported adventures can do unsupported adventures.

To do unsupported adventure you need better riding skills, better packing skills, better mechanical skills. You need to be better at self preservation and bike preservation due to increased risk.

Iím not saying it isnít an adventure when you take a support vehicle. However I do believe it is more adventurous to go unsupported.
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 07:23:23 am »
Detour

I fully understand the sentiments. I also think it ruins everone's trip if one of the riders/friends have to abandon the trip because of a broken down bike, or any factor that could have been prevented with well planned back up.
In our group each rider plays a roll.
I know it will ruin my trip if one of our group has to turn back.
Well planned back up does not have to infringe on the "trueness" of the adventure. It should be there when you need it, and out of sight when you don't.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:33:24 am by Hardy de Kock »

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2018, 07:25:33 am »
I admit that I am a lousy group rider - I hate routine on a trip - even having to stick to a planned route or destination irritates me - I never book accommodation.
Agree that ego causes much to detract from group riding.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2018, 07:27:08 am »
A good measure of Crazy helps.
They said Iíd be no good at poetry because of my dyslexia, but so far Iív made 3 pots and a vase and going well

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2018, 07:36:10 am »

Ahhh Welsh - exactly.

I have been blessed in meeting many Crazies in my life. I also think every riding group should have at least one.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 07:46:53 am »

Ahhh Welsh - exactly.

I have been blessed in meeting many Crazies in my life. I also think every riding group should have at least one.
as Leonard Cohen said everything is cracked, thatís how the light gets in.  8)
They said Iíd be no good at poetry because of my dyslexia, but so far Iív made 3 pots and a vase and going well

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 07:48:01 am »
Mandatory question

Are you guys interested in learning about the areas you ride in?

During Quest boot camp I tested the general knowledge of the contestants on their knowledge of the African continent.
There are 55 countries and obviously 55 capitals in Africa which results in a test, counting for a possible 110 points.
The average score was 22 out of 110.

These guys were not stupid people though - not at all. I then realised that it did not interest them, which I found interesting.
I am sure they would have named a lot more states and capitals of the US if they were tasked to do it.
Why is this?

Offline Casting from Turd

• I am the reason my children will never have kids
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 07:51:02 am »
I always ride at 80% of my ability. That way I have a slim margin of getting out of kak if it wants to hit the fan.

Never try and keep up with better and faster riders. I just tjune them to order my coffee when they get  to the next stop. \\\\
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado
Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
http://www.addobackpackers.com

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2018, 07:52:38 am »
I always ride at 80% of my ability. That way I have a slim margin of getting out of kak if it wants to hit the fan.

Never try and keep up with better and faster riders. I just tjune them to order my coffee when they get  to the next stop. \\\\

Coffee he said  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline blauth

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:36 am »
Mandatory question

Are you guys interested in learning about the areas you ride in?

During Quest boot camp I tested the general knowledge of the contestants on their knowledge of the African continent.
There are 55 countries and obviously 55 capitals in Africa which results in a test, counting for a possible 110 points.
The average score was 22 out of 110.

These guys were not stupid people though - not at all. I then realised that it did not interest them, which I found interesting.
I am sure they would have named a lot more states and capitals of the US if they were tasked to do it.
Why is this?

I learn what we have an interest in or have a need for.   Knowing what the capital city of Algeria is adds no value to me however, if I'm going there, I'll know.

In the finite time available to me, I read other non-adventure related topics (politics, macro economics, technical articles). Not having geographical general knowledge doesn't detract from being a good adventure rider in my opinion.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:49 am »
The following subjects were given to the contestants: They had to research it, and present to co-contestants for 15 minutes. They were judged and scored on their presentations.

Marienfluss and the Fairy Circles
Kunene River
Ngorongoro Crater
Madagascar
The Okapi and the Gerenuk
Honda Motorcycle history
Mapangubwe
The Nile river
Fish River Canyon
The Welwitchia
The Great Rift Valley
Kilimanjaro
The Oryx of Namibia
The Giant Eland of Central Africa
The Sahara
The Mighty Zambezi
Lake Malawi
Pyramids of Giza
Lake Victoria

Will these subjects interest you?
If not - please tell why

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:56 am »
A strong liver. 😎

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2018, 08:09:41 am »
The following subjects were given to the contestants: They had to research it, and present to co-contestants for 15 minutes. They were judged and scored on their presentations.

Marienfluss and the Fairy Circles
Kunene River
Ngorongoro Crater
Madagascar
The Okapi and the Gerenuk
Honda Motorcycle history
Mapangubwe
The Nile river
Fish River Canyon
The Welwitchia
The Great Rift Valley
Kilimanjaro
The Oryx of Namibia
The Giant Eland of Central Africa
The Sahara
The Mighty Zambezi
Lake Malawi
Pyramids of Giza
Lake Victoria

Will these subjects interest you?
If not - please tell why
to clarify, do you pick one and present that one not a generalization? If so Yes Great. 😎