Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What defines a good adventure bike rider?  (Read 18648 times)

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
Re: What defines a good adventure bike rider?
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2018, 08:12:40 am »
Mandatory question

Are you guys interested in learning about the areas you ride in?

During Quest boot camp I tested the general knowledge of the contestants on their knowledge of the African continent.
There are 55 countries and obviously 55 capitals in Africa which results in a test, counting for a possible 110 points.
The average score was 22 out of 110.

These guys were not stupid people though - not at all. I then realised that it did not interest them, which I found interesting.
I am sure they would have named a lot more states and capitals of the US if they were tasked to do it.
Why is this?

I learn what we have an interest in or have a need for.   Knowing what the capital city of Algeria is adds no value to me however, if I'm going there, I'll know.

In the finite time available to me, I read other non-adventure related topics (politics, macro economics, technical articles). Not having geographical general knowledge doesn't detract from being a good adventure rider in my opinion.

Barry - Thanks for your honest answer.
Can you tell me how you view adventure riding? Must it be exploring? Or does a short stint through De Wildt also constitute adventure riding?
You are helping me much more than you might think here.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2018, 08:16:11 am »
The following subjects were given to the contestants: They had to research it, and present to co-contestants for 15 minutes. They were judged and scored on their presentations.

Marienfluss and the Fairy Circles
Kunene River
Ngorongoro Crater
Madagascar
The Okapi and the Gerenuk
Honda Motorcycle history
Mapangubwe
The Nile river
Fish River Canyon
The Welwitchia
The Great Rift Valley
Kilimanjaro
The Oryx of Namibia
The Giant Eland of Central Africa
The Sahara
The Mighty Zambezi
Lake Malawi
Pyramids of Giza
Lake Victoria

Will these subjects interest you?
If not - please tell why
to clarify, do you pick one and present that one not a generalization? If so Yes Great. 😎

Welsh - Not sure I understand your question? I issued the topics to the contestants (They had no choice in the matter) They received the topic prior to Quest, and had ample time to research. They were told that that they are going to present an hour before they presented.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2018, 08:18:34 am »
The following subjects were given to the contestants: They had to research it, and present to co-contestants for 15 minutes. They were judged and scored on their presentations.

Marienfluss and the Fairy Circles
Kunene River
Ngorongoro Crater
Madagascar
The Okapi and the Gerenuk
Honda Motorcycle history
Mapangubwe
The Nile river
Fish River Canyon
The Welwitchia
The Great Rift Valley
Kilimanjaro
The Oryx of Namibia
The Giant Eland of Central Africa
The Sahara
The Mighty Zambezi
Lake Malawi
Pyramids of Giza
Lake Victoria

Will these subjects interest you?
If not - please tell why
to clarify, do you pick one and present that one not a generalization? If so Yes Great. 😎

Welsh - Not sure I understand your question? I issued the topics to the contestants (They had no choice in the matter) They received the topic prior to Quest, and had ample time to research. They were told that that they are going to present an hour before they presented.
I misunderstood I have got you now, 😎
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 08:53:19 am »
When I go to other countries I do take the trouble to obtain certain particular knowledge beforehand:

What currency do they use
Do I require a visa beforehand
Do I require certain medical certificates / vaccinations
Is my licence accepted (regardless, I obtain an international drivers license)
Certain basics as to their traffic rules relating to motorcycles (are reflective vests obligatory, etc.)
Any requirements they may have as to the bringing in of a motorcycle (e.g. a carnet)

Most other information about the country I already have or I pick up as I go along.

I make sure beforehand that my passport is in order.
I take with all applicable documentation (originals and certified copies).
I take trouble to protect all my documentation against water, possible mishandling, etc.
I take lots and lots of cash with, various currencies and spread it around the bike and myself.
In my wallet I only keep what I expect to use at the next two or three stops.
I keep my documentation in very easy to reach compartments.
I always keep cigarettes on me and am quick to offer a smoke.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2018, 09:00:04 am »
The problem with definitions, is  if you don't comply, did you fail ? I'm on a trip, there is lots of sand and I fall a lot... was the trip a failure as an adventure.

So I just ride, not asking what makes it a good adventure ride. If I get home safe it was a good ride.

Like a pilot... every landing you can walk away from is a good one.

So my take on being an 'adventure rider'... just be one, don't put yourself in a box against others.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:03 am »
Simple. Just watch on youtube:
Top 5 reasons to ride small motorcycle on a long adventure trip.
Answers all the questions

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:42 am »
The problem with definitions, is  if you don't comply, did you fail ? I'm on a trip, there is lots of sand and I fall a lot... was the trip a failure as an adventure.

So I just ride, not asking what makes it a good adventure ride. If I get home safe it was a good ride.

Like a pilot... every landing you can walk away from is a good one.

So my take on being an 'adventure rider'... just be one, don't put yourself in a box against others.

Somehow I think that a couple of falls keep the ego intact and usually makes for a good story around the campfire. All part of the adventure and definitely not an indicator of a successful or failed trip.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2018, 09:22:14 am »
Just had a long conversation with Justbendit about his recent trip to Northern Namibia with XPAT and Straatkat.

Cant wait for their ride report.

Interesting to hear his take on back up (they went without it).
I will ask him to comment on the matter in his own time.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:44 am »
When I go to other countries I do take the trouble to obtain certain particular knowledge beforehand:

What currency do they use
Do I require a visa beforehand
Do I require certain medical certificates / vaccinations
Is my licence accepted (regardless, I obtain an international drivers license)
Certain basics as to their traffic rules relating to motorcycles (are reflective vests obligatory, etc.)
Any requirements they may have as to the bringing in of a motorcycle (e.g. a carnet)

Most other information about the country I already have or I pick up as I go along.

I make sure beforehand that my passport is in order.
I take with all applicable documentation (originals and certified copies).
I take trouble to protect all my documentation against water, possible mishandling, etc.
I take lots and lots of cash with, various currencies and spread it around the bike and myself.
In my wallet I only keep what I expect to use at the next two or three stops.
I keep my documentation in very easy to reach compartments.
I always keep cigarettes on me and am quick to offer a smoke.

This usually results in a trip with much less trouble.  :deal:

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2018, 09:45:06 am »
Those topice sure sound like a nice buiket list.

As was mentioned not a lot can name the countries and their capitals. But it boils down to situational awareness. If you going there you would know.

To me adventure is that ... know where to start ...maybe have an idea where you want to finish.everything inbetween is the adveture.
don't be a fussy eater, dont be a fussy sleeper, but know the difference between diahorrea and a good plate of food.

a technical aptitude goes a long way. Espcially if you a a loner. but in a group if the group acts almost like a single organism, that could make it stronger. one that cooks, one thats the mechanic etc etc.

Communication has been mentioned as well ... here with not just the words that spill out you mouth. the body talks too!!! and be sure that you do not say something in a tone, or use vocaulary that might piss off someone.

in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »
On backup and guided rides, my job/lifestyle doesn’t leave much time for planning and researching trips. I either go on guided rides or I have to wing it on the day. Being in IT operations, I also try to maximize the limited time I get to be offline. I’m sure some don’t see that as ‘adventure’ but it’s just my reality. I’d love to use my next sabatical for an unplanned, remote solo trip
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:58:27 pm by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2018, 06:59:15 pm »
On backup and guided rides, my job/lifestyle doesn’t leave much time for planning and researching trips. I either go on guided rides or I have to wing it on the day. Being in IT operations, I also try to maximize the limited time I get to be offline. I’m sure some don’t see that as ‘adventure’ but it’s just my reality. I’d love to use my next sabatical for an unplanned, remote solo trip

A solo trip with me? :peepwall:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2018, 07:38:44 pm »

During June, after the day's ride, when you park off in your comfortable camping chair, your feet resting on your stretcher, with an ice cold beer in your hand, next to the Hoarusib riverbed in Purros, I will take the time to remind you off the true adventurers, with none of the above.

You see Dwerg - Ask Oom Danie how true his adventure felt when he crashed the other day, and in much how kak he would have been if there wasn't another rider or back up to assist him. We would have had to change his name to Two Stroke One Leg Dan
a Good back up team should only be seen when needed, and when you guys get to camp. This logistical back up affords riders the freedom to enjoy their bikes to the fullest, without the burden of extra fuel/water/food/spares/tools on your bike.

Nothing wrong with not going the Bear Grylls route

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
"Two-stroke one-leg Dan" :eek7: :eek7:

True, a good example of one moment of overestimating your skills, and I was lucky that the group could continue within an hour or so. It would have been terrible if this happened in

the Huarusib, and ending the trip for all. Vlak graf in die sand is maar al.

While I love solo trips, I find that the comforts are becoming more welcome as I get older, so I am changing my mind about supported trips.

The downside of supported trips, I have found, is that the guys offload a days stories and stress in the evenings over drinks and the peacefulness of nature is often not enjoyed.

There is also generally a difference in the calibre of rider in supported trips as opposed to solo or small groups.  The supported rider is more prone to not knowing how to fix punctures, etc, and

may also be less of a skilled rider. The support makes him/her feel safe.

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2018, 08:28:01 pm »
"Two-stroke one-leg Dan" :eek7: :eek7:

True, a good example of one moment of overestimating your skills, and I was lucky that the group could continue within an hour or so. It would have been terrible if this happened in

the Huarusib, and ending the trip for all. Vlak graf in die sand is maar al.

While I love solo trips, I find that the comforts are becoming more welcome as I get older, so I am changing my mind about supported trips.

The downside of supported trips, I have found, is that the guys offload a days stories and stress in the evenings over drinks and the peacefulness of nature is often not enjoyed.

There is also generally a difference in the calibre of rider in supported trips as opposed to solo or small groups.  The supported rider is more prone to not knowing how to fix punctures, etc, and

may also be less of a skilled rider. The support makes him/her feel safe.

There is a big difference between a solo trip through the Cederberg (and the luggage and requirements for two days), and the luggage and requirements for two weeks in another country. It is not easy to carry all the stuff that you need for a trip, and in most cases it will make your adventure less enjoyable as far as the bike and the enjoyment of riding it to it's potential goes.
People look at supported tours and think - someone from the crew in front and someone at the back, regulating the speed and the stops. Not true at all. 
I guess you guys will have to ask Noneking, Dwerg, PK, Trevo and a few others how they experienced a supported tour when they come back after the June trip.

Online Noneking

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2018, 09:29:33 pm »

My reality as well. Feels like I eat sleep and dream adventure biking, but in reality I spend  a few hours every weekend riding my bike in the beautiful Lowveld. Every now and then I spend a weekend riding in a new location with new challenges.

Spending two weeks with Hardy and his team in Namibia is a dream come true. Some might frown upon the idea of a supported adventure, but for me it makes perfect sense. I’m not a skilled rider and will have to rely heavily on the mechanical skills of others in the group. Not having to carry my luggage on the bike will surely add to my riding enjoyment?

Does this make it less of an adventure experience??? I doubt it. Looking forward to pushing boundaries and enjoying new experiences with new people. The perfect adventure in my book........
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2018, 09:58:03 pm »
I agree that packing a motorcycle with enough stuff to be self-supportive for a week or more takes away something from the pleasures of riding a bike, since even the best bike will become something different

under such load.

Like you say Hardy, a supported tour on which you do not have to stick with the support vehicles can be a real pleasure.

Like on the Honda 250 rally launch, where that lovely bakkie with sweets-drawer would pull up, so welcome! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2018, 05:56:45 am »
Oom Danie

During 2008 I was part of a group of three that rode from Tunis to Algiers before we headed to Casablanca. After 7 days in Morocco, my riding buddies flew home. I then headed for Bamako in Mali where I was stationed. I spent 7 days and 6 evenings alone in the Sahara and enjoyed it very much. Probably one of the most memorable rides of my life.
If I have to be very honest though, I will tell you that I would have paid a lot of money to have had a stretcher, fridge, and fresh meat to my avail.
I am glad I did it the way I did, but will in future see to it that I have these things with me in a support vehicle, as it would not have taken away any of the enjoyment I had. In fact it would have made it better.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:43:13 am by Hardy de Kock »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2018, 07:08:10 am »

A solo trip with me? :peepwall:

Dis mos die lekker van bike ry. Ten spyte van ons verskille het ons ‘n great ding in gemeen. Ek gaan enige dag saam met jou op ‘n trip  :thumleft:
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:16 am »
Wth these 3 guys i need for nothing-
Pieter Lourens aka Twister
Pieter Laubscher aka Losper
Stoffel Lombard aka Hinksding

these guys on a trip will do nearly anything....
ok ok there is only ONE thing they will not do. But hell that thing can be organised.
So- choose your mates and you cannot go wrong :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......