KTM 690R not charging battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaaskrul

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Werner (all models)
Hi Guys
Looking for some advice please ,had an issue with my bike where it just started struggling to start ,when starting the battery light would come on and the console would sometimes go dead. It gradually got worse to the point where if i left the bike standing for a day the battery would be completely dead. I then went ahead and purchased a new battery which seemed to solve the problem for about a week ,then things got worse. Was riding on the highway and tried to overtake a car ,when i opened the throttle to accelerate the bike just lost power and then went completely dead. I had the bike at a bikeshop and the guy went trhough the wiring harness but could not pick up any shorts ,but he did say that the Voltage was staying at 12v even when bike was started and that it should be higher at about 13-14v ,so he thinks it might be the stator that is faulty. So i went ahead and phoned KTM to get a price on a new stator ,and at 3.2k it seems a bit of a gamble for something that i`m not even 100% sure is the cause of all this. So my question is this ,is there any way of testing the stator to make sure it is faulty and also is there someone who can rewind these stators that you guys know of and is it advisable ,or should i just buy OEM ?
Sorry just realised i posted this in the wrong section ,can the mods please move it to the LC4 section