Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Metzeler Karoo Street – a tyre that is both good at on- and off-road?  (Read 739 times)

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • View Profile
    • The Bike Show
The Karoo is famously Metzeler’s knobbly off-road adventure tyre, and yet their new model has been designated as the Karoo Street, presenting us with an oxymoron – what they are essentially calling this tyre is the Dirt Tar and that is preposterous. Miraculously, this is exactly what Metzeler are claiming. I took an arduous trip to Sicily and worked hard by riding a selection of adventure bikes up an active volcano to investigate.

https://thebikeshow.co.za/metzeler-karoo-street-tyre/

The following users thanked this post: Grunder

Offline dirtyXT

• The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.”-Mark Caine
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
    • View Profile
 :thumleft: thats is definatley worth a look in... hope the price is relative. thanks for sharing. May is just the right time for a new set.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - current

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
The Karoo is famously Metzeler’s knobbly off-road adventure tyre, and yet their new model has been designated as the Karoo Street, presenting us with an oxymoron – what they are essentially calling this tyre is the Dirt Tar and that is preposterous. Miraculously, this is exactly what Metzeler are claiming. I took an arduous trip to Sicily and worked hard by riding a selection of adventure bikes up an active volcano to investigate.

https://thebikeshow.co.za/metzeler-karoo-street-tyre/
I miss the old Karoo Knobby...

The following users thanked this post: Ortos

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Parts
It has been suggested that the Karoo Street is the next go-to for a rear tyre, in combination with a TKC80 front...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, R1200GS DRL + LED Bulb replacement

Offline Blender

I see a combo is going for R3900 @ Bike Tyre Warehouse!
Honda Varadero
KTM 690 SMC
'90 KDX200
'83 XT500 (never should've sold) :(
MBX50 (the first one!)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
    • View Profile

And that's good?  :-\

Offline Blender

And that's good?  :-\
I dont's think so...
Just paid R2825 for a set of Metzeler Tourance tires.  :thumleft:
Honda Varadero
KTM 690 SMC
'90 KDX200
'83 XT500 (never should've sold) :(
MBX50 (the first one!)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
    • View Profile
'Zactly Blender.  But anyway, congratulations 2 - Stroke on an interesting and well written article.

I questioned the price because, although not exactly out of the ball park, it compares unfavourably with what I've just paid for another brand, one that's longer established on the market, and possibly doesn't incorporate quite the latest technology described in the article.

But here's where I'm batting for the unreasonably demanding type of consumer that I represent. Some of us expect to get at least 15,000 km from a rear tyre, and considerably more than that from a front. The question is, will this new kid still retain it's vaunted off road excellence with 10,000 on the clock and hopefully a fair way still to go?

If so, that'll be the mark of a winner and a commendation for technology.  8)

Offline DouglasN

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
    • View Profile
Direct competition to the Pirelli Rally STR and they claim much the same.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/scorpion-rally-str

-----------------------
Douglas Norval

Offline Warren Ellwood

It has been suggested that the Karoo Street is the next go-to for a rear tyre, in combination with a TKC80 front...

Not if you use a 120 - 19 Front TKC unfortunately.

Haven't come across one yet where it is ridden by anything other than a 70 year old Grandma that is not de-laminating. We did a tour through the Northern Cape recently, and we had three tyres that needed replacing due the knobblies getting like an air bubble under them. Was told by a tyre guy that all the 120's are doing that and also it's only the 120's.

But I'd like to give this Karoo Street a try, although I am currently leaning towards trying something like a Anakee as the 1200LC seems to eat rear tyres. I have a rather official looking WhatsApp from my wife suggesting I find a way to get more km's out of a tyre, and I already ride like an old man  :biggrin:.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"
www.facebook.com/Lookwhatyouremissing
The Motorcycle Travel TV Series

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
    • View Profile
Aah, but don't they look beautiful in pictures when they're new?  :biggrin:

Offline 2StrokeDan

Not if you use a 120 - 19 Front TKC unfortunately.

Haven't come across one yet where it is ridden by anything other than a 70 year old Grandma that is not de-laminating. We did a tour through the Northern Cape recently, and we had three tyres that needed replacing due the knobblies getting like an air bubble under them. Was told by a tyre guy that all the 120's are doing that and also it's only the 120's.

But I'd like to give this Karoo Street a try, although I am currently leaning towards trying something like a Anakee as the 1200LC seems to eat rear tyres. I have a rather official looking WhatsApp from my wife suggesting I find a way to get more km's out of a tyre, and I already ride like an old man  :biggrin:.

"official looking whatsapp" :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
Off-road? Are yous kidding? ........ street is apt. Rain woulda worked just as well.

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online Tom van Brits

Lucky you Donovan! Sicily of all places to test them, you test bikes and see all these great places!
Metzler is great - the thing that impressed me most about them is the safety.