Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dropping your bike standing still  (Read 8611 times)

Offline Twinman

Re: Dropping your bike standing still
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2018, 04:20:47 pm »
Hapened to me once too. Missed a turn on gravel road. Stopped and backpaddled back while sitting on bike. Stepped in a hole , stopped and slowly tipped over. Feld quite an idiot!
Never underestimate an old biker who was born in May

Offline Let's Ride

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Somewhere out there....
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
Lol! This is a funny thread!

Happened to me in my garage...limited sleeping space for my dakar in the garage. I got home after a trip and she was heavily loaded, got off...all good, tried putting her on the center stand and tripped over a box behind and fell over back against the wall and ass on the floor, obviously she came with on top of me. Decided Im not gonna drop her this way, bench pressed / squat her back up almost popping a vain in my head and put her properly on the center stand.

Like a idiot I still looked out the garage afterwards if anyone was close to see what a fool I was....nobody.  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2018, 05:30:34 pm »
I have never ever fallen over whilst standing still, or on a slow, up-hill pull away with both feet firmly on the pegs.

I also don't drink beer. >:D
:imaposer:you look truly pinned
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2018, 05:46:29 pm »
I went to the garage to fill up.
I put out the side stand and got off.
All gassed up, I got back on and lifted the side stand.

Then there was a problem with the portable card machine
and I had to go to the kiosk to use the fixed card machine.
"No problem, I'll just put it back on the side stand and..."

Now I have developed the habit of keeping the side stand in the instep of my riding boot
when I want to lean the bike onto it.

BTW, a 1200gs can lean over more than 45 degrees.
But don't try stop the lean over.
With the mass of a full tank, trying to stop the fallover will probably get you a strained hamstring.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2018, 07:41:18 pm »
First trip on my new to me 1190R

Pull into petrol station a little to close to pump and instead of moving decide to climb off right side,left foot catches seat as i dismount and i moer over backwards followed by bike.

short leg syndrome is real    :imaposer:

:lol8: :lol8: nee wat ek is 2m lank en kan ook saampraat. Sal vanmiddag die bewys lewer.

Die rede vir die omdonder lê tussen my en die fiets. Pleks Rynet nader staan om te help roep sy niet. Lê doodstil. Ek wil gou my kamara uithaal :lol8: :lol8:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2018, 10:42:08 pm »

Ps
The first thing I did was to jump to my feet and check whether anybody saw me .... in the middle of nowhere!!

Yep, been there, done that  ;D And I was alone!
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2018, 11:09:05 pm »
With in the first week of getting the Super Ténéré it's weight caught me out. In my driveway the bike started leaning over but I did not really pay attention. The XT 660R was easy to catch, not so much the 1200!  The crash bars lost some paint and I took a rolling tumble on the pavement.

Luckily nobody around to see.

With this now in the open I can ask a question that I previously couldn't.

Does the Super Ténéré engine cut off automatically when the bike in a horizontal position, because mine did?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Lourens de Lange

Offline boere

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2018, 12:04:09 am »

Pull into petrol station a little to close to pump and instead of moving decide to climb off right side,left foot catches seat as i dismount and i moer over backwards followed by bike.

:lol8: :lol8: nee wat ek is 2m lank en kan ook saampraat. Sal vanmiddag die bewys lewer.

Die rede vir die omdonder lê tussen my en die fiets. Pleks Rynet nader staan om te help roep sy niet. Lê doodstil. Ek wil gou my kamara uithaal :lol8: :lol8:
En dit nadat die "kortgat" sy bottel water laat val het. Met die buk om op te tel toe is dit so :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2018, 05:38:20 am »
Dropped it against my wifes car... R20k ouch!

Offline RTFM

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
Ek het dit al 2 keer gedoen.
1ste keer in die huis se oprit, toe ek die hek met die remote wou toemaak.
2de keer by die garage, toe ek wiele pomp.  Bike op side stand.  Stoot die bike vorentoe om die valve te kan bykom, en side stand nie meer in plek nie.
Die joggies het lekker gelag.....

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2018, 09:15:08 am »
Ek het dit al 2 keer gedoen.
1ste keer in die huis se oprit, toe ek die hek met die remote wou toemaak.
2de keer by die garage, toe ek wiele pomp.  Bike op side stand.  Stoot die bike vorentoe om die valve te kan bykom, en side stand nie meer in plek nie.
Die joggies het lekker gelag.....

Sal jou leer om die joggie se werk te try doen  :biggrin:
the Truth will offend at first

Offline RobLH

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:33 am »
Happened to my mate this weekend as we got off the bikes for breakfast - he forgot about the sidestand. Pissed myself laughing, only because I've done it twice before.

Once was the first time I took my bike off the centre stand, second I was paddling backwards and lost my footing in a loose depression. Two old ducks (70+) came to my rescue.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2018, 01:37:01 pm »
did a quick check with all the mates and nobody done it yet...... :biggrin: :imaposer: and yip you guessed... no GS's.... :lol8:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:38:02 pm by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2018, 02:11:53 pm »
Touch wood... no drop yet.  The pressure is mounting for that first time. Will be a sad day  :snorting:
the Truth will offend at first

Offline Sam

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2018, 03:28:04 pm »
Not quite in the same catergory......but very similar...

I had just replaced the front brake pads on my 750 Africa Twin. As usual, there was no space in the garage for me to bleed the brakes, so I decided to wheel the bike out of the garage into the driveway to do the bleeding.

The end of my garage, and my whole driveway are on a steep slope. Needless to say, started wheeling the bike out backwards.....started to get a bit heavy and the speed of the rolling was picking up at a pace. No problem, just grab the front brakes..........?! No brakes!. Bike got away from me, carried on rolling downhill until it smashed into the poor little wooden gates at the end of the driveway, at which point it fell over with the top side riight up against the wall. Zeeerrroooo space to get between the wall and the bike to pick it up. Eventually managed to get it up with the handlebars. Broke the cast pillion footpeg hanger on the right side.

Think I'd owned it for about a month at that stage. Not a happy camper!

Offline Lo Ewe

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Hou my vas KLR!
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:48 pm »
Hundreds of kms through the Bavs, one minor drop at a gate into the sand. Pulled up at home, mightily pleased with myself. Miskicked the stand and dropped her. Neighbour's gardener, on hearing my plight, jumped right over the wall and helped me. How the moer did he do that - he's older than me!  :peepwall:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:47:45 pm by Lo Ewe »
In a relationship with Delores Koan.

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2018, 05:20:12 pm »
While riding to school I my shoelaces got tangles in the footpeg, stopped at a robot and slowly toppled over.

Have since learned to buy crappy shoelaces so I can break them if they get tangled up in the pegs or sprocket.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:20:33 pm by 2wdrift »
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:45 pm »

En dit nadat die "kortgat" sy bottel water laat val het. Met die buk om op te tel toe is dit so :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Lekker lag ek nou -  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: - kyk as GOLIAT kan omval dan dink ek voel almal beter  :pot: :pot:
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Brink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:36 pm »
I usually sit on the bike (GS) and get the center stand out - easy most (99%) of the time!

Couple of years back at the HO of a client I did the same in the parking lot next to a 3 foot hedge - in front of the reception area.
The next moment I was lying in the perfect begging doggy position inside the hedge :o - thankfully full ATGATT  as the hedge was seriously gnarly.

Nobody saw it happen and nobody came to help - it was quite a process to get myself extracted from the hedge which trapped me on the one side and the bike trapping me from the other side with my left leg stuck under the bike. :deal:
This took me what felt like forever and with no movement of help from anyone else - much to the relieve of my bruised ego if not my left leg.

Managed to get the bike upright and set on the center stand and walked to the reception fully expecting a crowd with smiling red faces to welcome me  :imaposer:

Nothing!!! - could well have happened on another planet  :3some:
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,