the_wes - enduro's in 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
so... well... there i was...

i'd just bought the xchallenge, a neck brace and proper offroad boots, and i'm thinking to myself "now that i've got a lekker bike and lekker kit, i reckon i should start riding enduros next year. you know, for fun"

now, i've mentioned this to a couple of people, and the responses have ranged from "go for it, why the hell not" to "it's not worth it, you're going to waste your time and money". but here's my logic:

i have the xchallenge. now, i know about 5000 people are going to respond by saying it's the wrong bike but you're wasting your breath. i HAVE the xchallenge, i don't have anything else, and i'm not going to spend any more money on another bike. end of story.

and besides, it's a lekker bike if you're going to do this sort of thing "casually". people all over the world, and locally, do it - just do a search on ADVrider.com. it's definitely not the perfect bike for an enduro, but it'll do.

plus, short of a new pipe, it's ready to go - i don't really need to change anything except slap a lekker pair of knobblies on there and take off the mirrors and indicators

on the gear side - i have over time accumulated goggles (which I wear with my Arai TourX), the BMW GS boots, Leatt brace, DMD body armour which I wear with MX jersey, gloves, etc. All I need is a kickass pair of knee guards and some pants to wear over them (I doubt my BMW pants will fit over).

so, the plan is to hit the gym from now to 2009, and do as much offroad riding as possible to get the skill, confidence and stamina up. hopefully by the start of 2009s season I'll be ready to hit the circuit.

and when i say hit the circuit, i mean as casually as possible. i'm not there to prove anything, I just want to have fun. if I spend the entire day doing half a lap then so be it. i'm definitely not looking to compete. at least not for the next year or 2.

so, what do you guys think? am i an idiot, or does this sound like fun? how much you reckon i'm going to trash my bike? how often are enduros anyway, where do you find this stuff out? any tips (as you can tell by now I have no idea what I'm doing)?

let me have it!!