Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TYRE WAREHOUSE IN MIDRAND - MY OPINION - RESOLVED XXXXX  (Read 10987 times)

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
Re: BEWARE OF BIKE TYRE WAREHOUSE IN MIDRAND - MY OPINION
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2018, 08:40:45 am »
TJ - I think many 'facts' have been bandied around but as noted this can be 'selective reporting' and without all of them plus physical evidence it is difficult to pass judgement.

BUT that said the issues/questions here for me are largely about ethics - (1) that of the OP (2) that of the retailer

Is it fair for the OP to embark on trial by social media before the retailer has had a fair chance to respond? This is unfortunately one of the unethical practices of the day - ambush by social media and as you say reputations tarnished and hung out to dry before a fair hearing.

Is it fair for a retailer to offer a service (and terms of service including clarifying it/them) and not honour it? This also happens all the time, and again social media is employed to advertise, hype and attract custom. What happens after the money has changed hands?

Why is the customer always right? Most often because the retailers livelihood depends on his/her reputation - even if this means eating shit.

Ouman - I would say go make a concerted and fair effort to sort this out 'man to man' (and you may well have a legitimate case). If after a fair attempt there is no reasonable agreement between the two of you then by all means squeal some more. But for now some radio silence would imho be the ethical position and help everyone.

Just my 2 cents from an ouman.

I agree with you Dom 100% above and I am all for FAIR. (Fair is always right and not one sided)

Just remember though as in the highlighted area and "Named" company also has recourse in terms of the law for damages, if he so wishes to pursue. A recent one in the court was by a law firm here in the Eastern Cape. The law firm was awarded a large sum of money due to rants on Social media (FB) even though it was removed and retracted. The damage is done once it is viewed by one person. IMHO ranting on social media is fine. Just dont name the company otherwise you are running a risk of litigation. Dont for one second think there are not lawyers that will jump at a "petty" lawsuit.

Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:07 am »
I think the best would have been if the dealer had made some sort of "Deal" with the customer regardless of the damage with some sort of pay in.

Both happy!

Before social media.

Its now too late IMHO!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:44:29 am by THROTTLE JOCKEY »

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:00 am »
TJ - I think many 'facts' have been bandied around but as noted this can be 'selective reporting' and without all of them plus physical evidence it is difficult to pass judgement.

BUT that said the issues/questions here for me are largely about ethics - (1) that of the OP (2) that of the retailer

Is it fair for the OP to embark on trial by social media before the retailer has had a fair chance to respond? This is unfortunately one of the unethical practices of the day - ambush by social media and as you say reputations tarnished and hung out to dry before a fair hearing.

Is it fair for a retailer to offer a service (and terms of service including clarifying it/them) and not honour it? This also happens all the time, and again social media is employed to advertise, hype and attract custom. What happens after the money has changed hands?

Why is the customer always right? Most often because the retailers livelihood depends on his/her reputation - even if this means eating shit.

Ouman - I would say go make a concerted and fair effort to sort this out 'man to man' (and you may well have a legitimate case). If after a fair attempt there is no reasonable agreement between the two of you then by all means squeal some more. But for now some radio silence would imho be the ethical position and help everyone.

I agree with you Dom 100% above and I am all for FAIR. (Fair is always right and not one sided)

Just remember though as in the highlighted area and "Named" company also has recourse in terms of the law for damages, if he so wishes to pursue. A recent one in the court was by a law firm here in the Eastern Cape. The law firm was awarded a large sum of money due to rants on Social media (FB) even though it was removed and retracted. The damage is done once it is viewed by one person. IMHO ranting on social media is fine. Just dont name the company otherwise you are running a risk of litigation. Dont for one second think there are not lawyers that will jump at a "petty" lawsuit.

As long as his facts are correct, I fail to see what the risk could be?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2018, 08:53:53 am »
The way I understood it:

- Tyre damaged and repaired
- Dealer repudiated the claim
- Customer phoned and tried to resolve the issue "man to man" without response or feedback from the dealer

As dealer it is all about how you handle issues like these. It was an opportunity for the dealer to quickly respond and handle the issue, either replace the tyre in full, partially or tell the customer that it will not happen and why not. It could have increased his reputation as a responsible caring dealer, who cares about his business and reputation. Clearly he failed dismillay

The damage to the dealers reputation in this instance is due to his own lack of response to the issue, and therefore in my mind he deserves what comes to him. To ignore a customer's complaints and not respond in any way, is never a good business decision, and indicative of  someone who does not care about his business or his reputation.

Once again you are making assumptions - that the OP spoke with the dealer. As I recall this has not happened. Ethically you need to give the man a fair chance to reply. As TJ says these 'trials by social media' get sorted out legally these days with uncomfortable results for some. Caveat Emptor.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2018, 08:58:34 am »

As long as his facts are correct, I fail to see what the risk could be?

Not calling any one a fibber but are they?
Ever been in a court and been twisted like a Koeksister?

Things are not always black and white in the little room.

Just saying!

I am rather for sorting things out, if not I walk away. The wheel always turns and its far more satisfying looking on while Carma makes things right.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2018, 09:10:08 am »

I am rather for sorting things out, if not I walk away. The wheel always turns and its far more satisfying looking on while Carma makes things right.

Yip, and she always does, you might just not know it. Years ago a dealer screwed me out of R5k on the trade-in of a car. He sold it on and a month later the cam-belt snapped. R35k damages to him.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:28 am »

Yip, and she always does, you might just not know it. Years ago a dealer screwed me out of R5k on the trade-in of a car. He sold it on and a month later the cam-belt snapped. R35k damages to him.

Love that Bitch!  ;)

Offline armpump

« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2018, 09:16:35 am »
In this case i personally would really like to know what this insurance REALLY covers.

I need a new front tire soon and it would be a nice bonus to have for that "when shit happens" time.

And if it is included in purchase price it makes sense to drive the extra 10km to buy and fit.

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:34 am »
Sorry guys! Been on the road yesterday and management meetings and crap like that!

Of course I tried to phone Bruce - numerous times! Even before they send me that mail. I also met him once before and my impressions were that his knowledgeable and approachable. Thats also a reason why I gave him my money. This was last Saturday (and I contacted them on Friday saying that I will be there on Saturday to resolve this) but up till now ------ nothing!

I understand that he is away doing other things, but I'm in business as well and when I go away (like on 7 day bike trip) I ensure that my customer will be attended to by someone else if needed.

I thank everyone again for their input on this thread. I can post pictures of where were fixing (or attempting to) the cut, but not of the cut itself. I will get some a post it. Then you will see that the cut was to such an extent that immaterial of what you do to it, it would always just be temporary. And by that I mean for a few more kilometers.

I read through all the comments and I stick by my story. I tried right from the outset to not be twatwaffle and tackle this problem like any reasonable man would, but I certainly do not take kindly to people who enticed me to their business with certain promises - take my money and when they have to make good on their advertised promise - feed me a cock and bull story! Dit maak die Kanaalaap in my wakker!!

As I said before! I feel done in! If that tyre is repairable then why on earth did they not fix it when I was there - let me pay for it and send me on my way! And I was introduced to a guy from Metzler on the premises, but he was totally non committal.

Therefore! I don't give a rat's ass how much effort and time this takes up, but I will see this through. All the way to the ombudsman!

But, being a fair man! Bruce still have the opportunity to make good! And when he does I will leave no stone unturned to tell the world he did the right thing!

Thats how it should be!  In the meantime! We wait!!!

It seems it was not an assumption, he did speak to the dealer. Maybe not the owner, but he spoke to the dealer.

Offline Ouman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2018, 09:38:09 am »
OK EVERYBODY PAY ATTENTION.

THE DEALER HAS JUST MADE CONTACT WITH ME AND I'M SURE EVERYTHING WILL BE SORTED OUT FAIRLY.

THANK YOU BIKE TYRE WAREHOUSE
The more bugs in the  teeth....the happier I get!!!!!

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2018, 09:39:14 am »
OK EVERYBODY PAY ATTENTION.

THE DEALER HAS JUST MADE CONTACT WITH ME AND I'M SURE EVERYTHING WILL BE SORTED OUT FAIRLY.

THANK YOU BIKE TYRE WAREHOUSE

Good news Ouman! Let's see what happens 8)

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2018, 09:42:07 am »
:blob6: BTW... the best. Think I'll drive the 2400km to go buy a tyre from them just for the saving on the cover  :imaposer:

Offline armpump

« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:28 am »
Ouman please get the relevant info on insurance and post it.

IE what is or is not covered etc

Assemblief

Offline paulb

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:46 am »
The insurance

Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline armpump

« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:15 am »
Thank you paulb

Anybody have terms and conditions and exclusions ?

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2018, 09:58:21 am »
The insurance

That is meaningless. Only way you get the actual policy it seems is to buy a tyre, present your invoice and requaest a copy. Japie should have one, me thinks.

Offline greggow

« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2018, 09:58:39 am »
I feel cheated! And when I do the sh*t is normally about to hit the fan!

The scenario is shortly that we planned this long trip over Easter and I needed tyres that would be suitable for both tar and gravel. After a lot of reading up  and chatting to people I decided on a set of brand new of Metzler Karoo 3's. I also decided to buy from Bike Tyre Warehouse in Midrand 'cuase they offer  "free" insurance which would cover "against any irreparable accidental damages to the insured tyres on your bike" And this is valid for 12 months.

So - low and behold - I get a puncture about 5 kilometers from the Tented Camp turn off! No spare tyre with me so what do I do? I suppose like anyone would in a situation like that I stuck enough "snotstokkies" in there to stop the leak.

Because I was not very confident that it would bring me back home I scavenged around Henk's rubble heap and came across a Karoo 3 thats had life 3 times over, But, beggars can't be choosers and I loaded it on the bike. My puncture repair was still holding out. It last all the way through the park and up Ganaka Pass. On the flat piece up to the Lodge it finally let go and now I could not get it fixed again. So I pumped it just enough to get me to the Lodge.

Begged a pair of homemade tyre levers from the owners and Aaklige Attie and Gingerball proceeded to rip the flat off and put the new old (or old new) Karoo on. Ask Enzo! Himand his crew was there! This saw me home e few days later without any further incident.

But!!! Why would I be worried? I'm insured after all!!

So, Saturday past I took the wheels off my bike and with the insured tyre I set of on the 400km journey to Bike Tyre Warehouse. They're mos going to to sort this for me chop chop! NOT!!!

Had to leave the damaged tyre there as an assessor could only see it on Monday - yesterday!

Today i get the response below:

Japie

The Insurance accessor had a look at the 170/60-16 Metzeler Karoo 3 Tyre..
He said that he cannot Cover as the Tyre was fitted with Puncture Plugs.
Insurance Cover does not cover for repairs done to the Tyre.

Sorry……

Thank you & kind regards

Liz de Kock
General Manager
Administration 

Batt Holdings SA
t:+27 11 205 0216
t:+27 11 05 00073
f:+27 11 31 27078
m: +27 82 564 53 35
www.battholdings.com
Follow Batt Holdings on       
Batt Tyres Trademark & Sole Distributors for Terache Race Tyres* Battech Race Products*STI Wheels USA*Rabaconda Tyre Changers EU*

WTF!!!!????? Carrying out a normal puncture repair in the middle of the Tankwa renders this policy null and void!!?? I say bullshit! This kite is not going to fly!

Wrote them a firm mail to tell them where I am with this.!!! But, it seems like I'm going to loose the battle!! I can see myself becoming great buddies with the guys at the Consumer Council. And its not the money! It is the principle!

After all this I guess what I'm trying so say is: DON"T BELIEVE WHAT PEOPLE ARE TELLING YOU TO YOUR MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS!!!

Going to keep the Karoo 3 on the front and try one of those new Motoz in the rear!!

Ok! Klaar!
They are proper see you next tuesdays.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2018, 10:00:42 am »

[/quote]

It seems it was not an assumption, he did speak to the dealer. Maybe not the owner, but he spoke to the dealer.
[/quote]

Bruce is the owner dealer.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2018, 10:02:59 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

So if he is not at the shop there is nobody answering the phones??????

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:27 am »

[/quote]

So if he is not at the shop there is nobody answering the phones??????
[/quote]

Don't be a twat.