Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 10 years ago ....  (Read 1621 times)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: 10 years ago ....
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 05:04:25 am »
It is true, the biggest reason we lost the 650 class in ZA is due to Euro 4 or 6 or whatever standards ZA adopted a year or so ago. The kicker being they, the government, have no fucking idea how it works or have the diagnostic machines or know how. But they adopted it and we lost. So the entire Eu and UK is now without those bikes, and ZA. The Aussies, USA and Canada, Central America and pretty much the entire South America you can still buy bikes like the DR650's and KLR. And the DR650 which are also still being made in Perreira in Colombia.

The other reason is the last few years the brands has picked up on the "bigger is better" BS which they thought we wanted. The word  "upgrade" from a 650 to 1200, cause bigger is better was used to sell bigger bikes. And to help that the training companies all over the world telling noob riders that anyone can ride a big bike they just need the skills and then they can conquer Van Zyl's pass with a loaded 1200. And they use words like Enduro plus to describe the Ducati....

And so here we sit in 2018 and pretty much the 650 -170kg class bike is gone, except for the 701, 690 and AJP PR7. BMW et ell still think and sell a 200kg 800GS as a light bike, cause skills. BMW for one has the ability and expertise to make a proper 650cc dualsport, they won't, cause we want big heavy bikes for tar that look like off road bikes.

We have just over 55000km on our DR's since we started in 2015 in the USA with them. It is one of the funnest coolest bikes I have ever owned, apart from my HP2. What I know now I would never have started our Africa trip with a BMW Dakar.  Our friends, the Dutchies, Amstertoanywhere
have been around the world on 250CRF's The fun is in smaller bikes, but unfortunately we want big Mall Crawlers and now we have them.

The game is over for the 650's.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:31:21 am by michnus »

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 06:57:01 am »
It is true, the biggest reason we lost the 650 class in ZA is due to Euro 4 or 6 or whatever standards ZA adopted a year or so ago. The kicker being they, the government, have no fucking idea how it works or have the diagnostic machines or know how. But they adopted it and we lost. So the entire Eu and UK is now without those bikes, and ZA. The Aussies, USA and Canada, Central America and pretty much the entire South America you can still buy bikes like the DR650's and KLR. And the DR650 which are also still being made in Perreira in Colombia.

The other reason is the last few years the brands has picked up on the "bigger is better" BS which they thought we wanted. The word  "upgrade" from a 650 to 1200, cause bigger is better was used to sell bigger bikes. And to help that the training companies all over the world telling noob riders that anyone can ride a big bike they just need the skills and then they can conquer Van Zyl's pass with a loaded 1200. And they use words like Enduro plus to describe the Ducati....

And so here we sit in 2018 and pretty much the 650 -170kg class bike is gone, except for the 701, 690 and AJP PR7. BMW et ell still think and sell a 200kg 800GS as a light bike, cause skills. BMW for one has the ability and expertise to make a proper 650cc dualsport, they won't, cause we want big heavy bikes for tar that look like off road bikes.

We have just over 55000km on our DR's since we started in 2015 in the USA with them. It is one of the funnest coolest bikes I have ever owned, apart from my HP2. What I know now I would never have started our Africa trip with a BMW Dakar.  Our friends, the Dutchies, Amstertoanywhere
have been around the world on 250CRF's The fun is in smaller bikes, but unfortunately we want big Mall Crawlers and now we have them.

Fark Michnus, you scared me popping up here, for interest it is Poppipants b,day today.  :biggrin: :sip:
They said Id be no good at poetry because of my dyslexia, but so far Iv made 3 pots and a vase and going well

Offline Hondsekierie

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:50 am »

Fark Michnus, you scared me popping up here, for interest it is Poppipants b,day today.  :biggrin: :sip:

Have to agree with Welsh.  If it wasn't for the sense of your post I would've thought someone stole your account.

Piskoel om van jou te hoor O0
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 08:35:22 am »
So 10 years ago, we were looking at this......  :sip: :sip:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=16641.msg261224#msg261224`
They said Id be no good at poetry because of my dyslexia, but so far Iv made 3 pots and a vase and going well

The following users thanked this post: michnus

Offline Sabre

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 10:12:47 am »

Welkom terug ! Wanneer kry ons 'n boek oor julle omswerwinge ?
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 12:40:33 pm »

Welcome back Michnus  :thumleft:
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline Poundfoolish

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:15 pm »
Why cant Kawasaki take the KLR frame slap the Er6 engine in there and call it a day? (im over simplifying it I know)

While Im not the biggest fan of the 650 class bikes they do have a place.
Same thing has happened to the half ton bakkies only one that is left is the Nissan NP200.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:07 pm »

Excellent post. And the bolded bit is what annoys me more than anything. A term frequently used on this form - upgrade. What the hell is that meant to mean?

Offline J-dog

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:32 pm »
If I poke a 150kg chick after a 60kg chick, am I upgrading?

asinine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:13:05 pm by J-dog »

Offline TheBear

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 04:17:33 pm »

asinine.

Well, since "upgrading", like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is impossible to say.  For you, it may well be an upgrade, for others not.  Same with bikes, cars, helmets, bog rolls, TV's, etc.  Upgrade for one, may well be seen as a downgrade for another.
.#BRADICAL!

Offline J-dog

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »

asinine.

Well, since "upgrading", like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is impossible to say.  For you, it may well be an upgrade, for others not.  Same with bikes, cars, helmets, bog rolls, TV's, etc.  Upgrade for one, may well be seen as a downgrade for another.

Sure, but isn't the correct word just "switching"

What makes an upgrade in terms of bikes?

I would suggest mostly the Jones' next door psychology.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:21:07 pm by J-dog »

Offline Poundfoolish

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »
It is an upgrade because in the words of Jeremy Clarkson "Powwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeerrrrr"
 :P

Offline blauth

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:43 pm »
And what of the WR250R which never made its way to our shores. It's one of the most popular Dualsport machines in Oz and NZ. Would the ZA market simply not be able to handle the cost of that little bike?