Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tubliss system for non highway use adventure touring  (Read 2387 times)

Offline armpump

Re: Tubliss system for non highway use adventure touring
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2018, 04:14:05 pm »
Only need to screw off if you see it showing low.

Pump 102 psi and screw back on.

Cheap shit units i can see failing but the "better" metal units should hold.

Darren how many fails you recon are because people are just to damn lazy to check inner pressure on a regular basis ?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2018, 04:31:06 pm »
I have seen now second failure in one month on the inner tube valve - the inner tube gets ripped off the tube. What is the root cause of this? I (and JustBendIt who had the first one), made sure that we do not have the screw on the valve tight agains the rim but rather loose as prescribed.

To be fair though, mine happened when the workshop was changing a tyre. I brought it there after riding 1000 km without problem, but when they changed tyre they called me that it is flat and they need another inner - so I fetched it and am working on it now myself. What were they doing wrong that may have caused this - probably tyre lever used stupidly next to the valve right?

Just would like to avoid the same mistake...

Ta

Offline KTMjedi

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cleared for take off
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2018, 04:36:44 pm »
OK so over 10 years of experience using Tubliss.
1) Tubliss main failing is on installation and maintaining inner pressure.
2) The system is mostly damaged on removal of the tyre. Be careful to not lift the red liner with the tyre leaver along with the tyre bead. (small tyre spoons work the best)
3) Tubliss doesn't prevent tyres in the same way a tubeless tyre doesn't prevent punctures. If you using Tubliss on your endure bike then you must use a sealant!
4) For endure use a strong carcase tyre to prevent cuts.

IMHO tubes are 100 + year old technology and should be resigned to the history books and Tubliss or Mousse is the only thing you should be using on a dirt bike.

As more and more people understand Tubliss so the complaints have decreased as most failures have been due to either an installation issue or the user thinking its a fit and forget product.

Lastly as long as you don't break the rimlock the redliner, inner tube and rubber valve stem grommet are available as spares. I recommend replacing the inner tube and grommet every 12-18 months.

Offline KTMjedi

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cleared for take off
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
Only need to screw off if you see it showing low.

Pump 102 psi and screw back on.

Cheap shit units i can see failing but the "better" metal units should hold.

Darren how many fails you recon are because people are just to damn lazy to check inner pressure on a regular basis ?
Actually the biggest problem is guys hear about Tubliss but don't know how it actually works. They buy it and have it fitted and the shop then doesn't explain how it works either. The client then leaves thinking he has puncture proof system that he never has to worry about again and a week later its flat and he is pissed and the system is shit! I have a friend who's air filter is always dirty and hardly even washes his bike...I didn't even try fit Tubliss for him...stuck in mousses and that was that. Tubliss is an amazing product and solves a lot of problems but just needs a little understanding of how it works and make sure you run the correct pressures. You can't suddenly run .4 bar and slam into rocks as you will cut the tyre and get a flat!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:15 pm »
OK so over 10 years of experience using Tubliss.
1) Tubliss main failing is on installation and maintaining inner pressure.
2) The system is mostly damaged on removal of the tyre. Be careful to not lift the red liner with the tyre leaver along with the tyre bead. (small tyre spoons work the best)
3) Tubliss doesn't prevent tyres in the same way a tubeless tyre doesn't prevent punctures. If you using Tubliss on your endure bike then you must use a sealant!
4) For endure use a strong carcase tyre to prevent cuts.

IMHO tubes are 100 + year old technology and should be resigned to the history books and Tubliss or Mousse is the only thing you should be using on a dirt bike.

As more and more people understand Tubliss so the complaints have decreased as most failures have been due to either an installation issue or the user thinking its a fit and forget product.

Lastly as long as you don't break the rimlock the redliner, inner tube and rubber valve stem grommet are available as spares. I recommend replacing the inner tube and grommet every 12-18 months.

Sorry, but I disagree on the tubes. At least as a back-up solution on trips into the sticks, there is no equivalent. I don't ride enduro (well I do weekend loops in DeWildt, but for fun, not race), but dual sport mostly on KTM 500. Two weeks ago came from two weeks of riding in Kaokoland and Damaraland and between two bikes with Tubeliss, we had two failures. One was torn valve and one was puncture, but that one I suspect was result of pinch during installation (as you aluded), that worked itself through only after 1500 km. If we wouldn't have spare tubes, we would have been properly screwed. I mean we would make it out one way or another, but the trip would be ruined. So nothing comes close to tube (and plenty of patches) as the most robust solution - either primary or back-up out in the sticks.

Regarding not grabing the red liner during removalof tyre, it makes perfect sense and I watched three videos of people doing it seemlessly on youtube about hour ago. And then I spent an hour in the garage trying to do exactly the same and it was complete hit or miss quite frankly. I did the trickwith starting at the rimlock and watching if the rimlock valve doesn't get pulled in to ensure that I didn't grab it at the first bite, but then have horrible time trying to get the second tyre lever bite ad the tyre was just too hard, and in the process may have grabed the inner liner as I had to literally pry the second lever in as with the first one in there was already huge tension on the tyre wall. Is there a trick I can use when the tyre is really hard (I am working with new C02) to get it off the rim with reasonably certainty that I'm not going to grab the liner please? Quite frnakly when I was watching the videos it was all piece of cake, but I suspect they were using pretty soft tyres - I am not new to changing tyres of fixing tubes, but the necessity to not grab red liner makes this proper bitch.

ANd second question - is it possible to patch the inner tube once punctured (not torn at the valve, just simple small puncture)? I have heard that mtbikes run pressures similar to Tubeliss and are fixable - can this be done with Tubeliss tube?

Ta
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:04:37 pm by Xpat »

Offline katana

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2018, 06:38:33 pm »
1) Does anyone use Tyre Shield as the lube for fitting?   No, silicon spray and about a half liter of weak soapy solution.  If I check the low pressure valve to dump air I still get water spouting out after 6 months.

2) Also does anyone use Tyre Shield in the inner tube - surely this may help thorn punctures to it?   No,  I doubt 8 bar and that little bit of air will prevent a leak down.

3) Why would the inner fail at the valve? Running too low pressure or flat?  Either.  When I check the inner after 3 weeks of standing, it is normally 7 bar.  Did the systems fitted for the long trips get checked daily?  I did and it never needed more air than the amount lost when screwing on the shock pump.

I run a Dunlop D909 on the front.  It is for all intents and purposes a run flat because it is so stiff.  The tubliss is just extra insurance.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline armpump

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2018, 06:48:07 pm »
What tire levers you using Xpat

Offline Xpat

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:45 pm »
What tire levers you using Xpat

These:

I am done and everytihng seems to be fine. And I had a dumb moment when I forgot to take valves out when I was getting tubeliss on the rim and it took more effort as there was some air left in the tube. Hopefully I didn't damage the tube (if yes, I have spare and hope it will chafe through quickly, not out in the sitcks).

Offline armpump

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2018, 07:24:25 pm »
I read guys say to nip lever points short so you dont grab red liner.But those should work lekker if not pushed in too deep.

Offline armpump

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:39 pm »
Stiff side walls has its pro's and cons  :imaposer:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2018, 07:52:57 pm »
I have used these recently and rate them, great shaped spoon end. Also the Desert Fox tyre ease tool is a great weapon for tough sidewall tyres and reduces use of levers in fitting.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Xpat

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »
I have used these recently and rate them, great shaped spoon end. Also the Desert Fox tyre ease tool is a great weapon for tough sidewall tyres and reduces use of levers in fitting.

That desert fox tyre ease tool is good only for putting the tyre on right? I have no problem with that - I struggled to get it off without damaging the red sleeve.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »

That desert fox tyre ease tool is good only for putting the tyre on right? I have no problem with that - I struggled to get it off without damaging the red sleeve.

Yeah for fitting only.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

Online zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 11:49:31 pm »
It's nice to see how everyone gets super-excited about some clever ous who went and re-invented the fucking wheel for top $ and are now selling their new invention to the punters that fall for it. And for max financial gain  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Obviously that was also planned into the business TrueBliss model.

OK - I get it. The system makes sense if you are a riding god that requires you to have 0.1 -0.4 bar tyre pressure in your trials bike next time you move two wheels in the national championships looking for traction. Myself as an older example of the ADV-DS brotherhood of bikers that tends towards airheads and XR types of bikes - I somehow smell a huge stinky rat in the equation.

What is this TuBliss thing gonna so much better than JB Dunlop anyway! RIP JB - good man!

I felt like the Michelin man today carrying home a new 140/80-17 E-07 for my geriatric Africa Twin on the same bike. My attention span at the time was not sufficient to worry about how I was gonna inflate the new tyre other than to put a tube and air in it. Traffic was hectic along Inanda road trying to not bump into taxis with my substantial girth. Mission accomplished.

I think for individual very specific applications TuBliss may be a decent choice - but for 90% of riders it may be like pissing against the wind - It comes back to haunt you when you least expected it. On my XR400R I will happily vary tyre pressure to suit my speed and the terrain, And carry spare rubber tubes.

Rant over  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2018, 06:55:59 am »
It's nice to see how everyone gets super-excited about some clever ous who went and re-invented the fucking wheel for top $ and are now selling their new invention to the punters that fall for it. And for max financial gain  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Obviously that was also planned into the business TrueBliss model.

OK - I get it. The system makes sense if you are a riding god that requires you to have 0.1 -0.4 bar tyre pressure in your trials bike next time you move two wheels in the national championships looking for traction. Myself as an older example of the ADV-DS brotherhood of bikers that tends towards airheads and XR types of bikes - I somehow smell a huge stinky rat in the equation.

What is this TuBliss thing gonna so much better than JB Dunlop anyway! RIP JB - good man!

I felt like the Michelin man today carrying home a new 140/80-17 E-07 for my geriatric Africa Twin on the same bike. My attention span at the time was not sufficient to worry about how I was gonna inflate the new tyre other than to put a tube and air in it. Traffic was hectic along Inanda road trying to not bump into taxis with my substantial girth. Mission accomplished.

I think for individual very specific applications TuBliss may be a decent choice - but for 90% of riders it may be like pissing against the wind - It comes back to haunt you when you least expected it. On my XR400R I will happily vary tyre pressure to suit my speed and the terrain, And carry spare rubber tubes.

Rant over  :thumleft:

Each to his own. Now can we get back to the discussion of the product by those who have experience of it, not those who still live in the dark ages.  :lol8:

Offline armpump

« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:44 am »
Xpat i know weight and space important but take a look at one of these perhaps

Offline aka.Goliath

Tubliss system for non highway use adventure touring
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2018, 08:06:41 am »

I do believe that is the same thing as the desert fox tyre ease.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:07:41 am by aka.Goliath »
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline peteb

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • There is no such thing as common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2018, 08:28:27 am »
I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep the bead of the tyre in the well of the rim opposite to the rim lock when you first try and pick up the edge of the tyre without picking up the liner as well. Even use simple wooden wedges to hold the bead down, it really loosens up the opposite side and you can easily see what the end of the lever is doing.
Previous bikes...where to start
Current bikes: 200 XCW, 250 Freeride, 950 Adv S, PE 175, 1 1/2 IT 175's

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:30 am »
I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep the bead of the tyre in the well of the rim opposite to the rim lock when you first try and pick up the edge of the tyre without picking up the liner as well. Even use simple wooden wedges to hold the bead down, it really loosens up the opposite side and you can easily see what the end of the lever is doing.

Bead Buddy also good for this.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:34:40 am by BiG DoM »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2018, 08:30:54 am »

This is what I mention above - Desert Fox has the identical tool with their logo. I have one and works a treat esp on tough tyres - but only for fitting not removal.