Stuck fuel screw - BST40 Carb (KTM 640A)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Hi Dogs,

To inspect and do some maintenance I've opened up the carb from my 640 Adventure. (Since I've received this bike I've done about 2000km)
There was a surprising amount of grime (sandy) in there , but according to the threads on advrider this can be expected due to the weak filters.

My problem:
I got to removing the fuel screw; first I turned it in to count the number of turns for later (7 1/4 turns - this itself already unusual    ???) , and then on the way out, at about 3 turns it just stopped - ie, I didnt even get back out to the point where I started.
My first idea was that this is probably due to some of that grime having found its way into the fuel screw threads.
I sprayed heavily with WD40 from both the screw head side, and from the carb body where the hole is - and left over night.
Still no movement - this already precariously situation meant any serious force will just result in more damage to the soft brass screw head.

So I decided to try a different solvent and soaked it (submerged) for another 24hrs in turpentine.

Trying again, being very careful, still all I achieved was taking of more brass from the screw head.

I've had success with screw extractors in the past, so I proceeded with that process. All this achieved was to eat away more brass :sad1:  - which I take means that screw is properly stuck.
I'm not yet sure if I've damage the threads of the the carb body.

I'm now out of ideas.

Someone else suggested filling the hole left behind by the screw extractor with some type of resin, as a base for another effort with the screw extractor.

I suspect I've reached the a point that is beyond my limited skills (or maybe passed it long ago  :-[ )

Can anyone suggest how I solve this?

Before screw extractor:
39584207940_1e8dd2d5a5_z.jpg

--

After screw extractor:
41394716372_739a3b51b3_z.jpg

UPDATE added photos