Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding with Spotlights at night?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Miracle_Salad

Riding with Spotlights at night?
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:37:41 pm »
So this seems to be a bit of a contentious topic, with some for and some against riding at night with LED spotlights.

Now personally I ride with them on as they help me see better and they make me visible. The catch is that perhaps if I get stuck behind a car, the light would become irritating.

On the N1 coming from Brackenfell side, past jip de jager etc MANY of the road lights do not work AND there is currently road construction along the highway. Currently the roads have been scraped so badly so that you wobble all over the place on them and there are stones and stuff flying from cars and even kicked up by the bike that you feel hit your boots..

I keep the lights on while riding here for safety and so that the people in cars can see me as the road lights do not work. I dont sit behind cars or anything at most I am in your mirrors for under 10 seconds before I pass.

I had someone in a White Van tonight move out the far most right lane as he was travelling slower, but then immediately jump back into the right lane, speed up to tailgate me and switch on his brights..He then sat there for around 5 minutes until I changed lanes as it was getting really wobbly due to the road works and I was uncomfortable that he was so close to me, he then changed to my lane and did the same thing. So I went back to the right lane...

He then tried to match my speed and belted out something,I couldnt hear him as I had earplugs in and so continued to look ahead, he then swerved the van at me to try hit me and then casually switched lanes to the far left and took the nearest off ramp. A total WTF situation, I dont see why I need to have my life threatened because I was in his rear mirror for +-5 seconds before passing him and I had spotlights on?? Like an I in the total wrong here? Is he justified for doing it?

I feel like I had my own safety in mind due to the conditions and that this was so uncalled for!  >:(

What are the general opinions with spotlights at night for you folks?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:38:26 pm by Miracle_Salad »
Current: '17 BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy
Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU RIDE A BIKE, BUY A CAR.

Offline JABO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Centurion
Re: Riding with Spotlights at night?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:00:09 pm »
So this seems to be a bit of a contentious topic, with some for and some against riding at night with LED spotlights.

Now personally I ride with them on as they help me see better and they make me visible. The catch is that perhaps if I get stuck behind a car, the light would become irritating.

On the N1 coming from Brackenfell side, past jip de jager etc MANY of the road lights do not work AND there is currently road construction along the highway. Currently the roads have been scraped so badly so that you wobble all over the place on them and there are stones and stuff flying from cars and even kicked up by the bike that you feel hit your boots..

I keep the lights on while riding here for safety and so that the people in cars can see me as the road lights do not work. I dont sit behind cars or anything at most I am in your mirrors for under 10 seconds before I pass.

I had someone in a White Van tonight move out the far most right lane as he was travelling slower, but then immediately jump back into the right lane, speed up to tailgate me and switch on his brights..He then sat there for around 5 minutes until I changed lanes as it was getting really wobbly due to the road works and I was uncomfortable that he was so close to me, he then changed to my lane and did the same thing. So I went back to the right lane...

He then tried to match my speed and belted out something,I couldnt hear him as I had earplugs in and so continued to look ahead, he then swerved the van at me to try hit me and then casually switched lanes to the far left and took the nearest off ramp. A total WTF situation, I dont see why I need to have my life threatened because I was in his rear mirror for +-5 seconds before passing him and I had spotlights on?? Like an I in the total wrong here? Is he justified for doing it?

I feel like I had my own safety in mind due to the conditions and that this was so uncalled for!  >:(

If your spot lights are set up to the correct level it should not create any discomfort and it was probably your main headlight shining directly into his mirror. As the spot lights sits quite low.

Park your bike in front of a white wall and switch your spot lights on and off while swaying the bike side to side slightly and you will see that the spot lights actually project a straight horizontal line and it should sit just below the line that your main headlight projects. It does not shine upwards to cause problems with night time riding.

It may be that your lights are shining upwards slightly and then you will need to set them down to be level again.

My spot lights are on. ALWAYS

Maybe the guy just had a bad day and you were the first target he could gun at.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Freedom is when you get to a T-junction and think to yourself.
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH I think I'll go left.

www.riot-gear.co.za

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:04:50 am »

If your spot lights are set up to the correct level it should not create any discomfort and it was probably your main headlight shining directly into his mirror. As the spot lights sits quite low.

Park your bike in front of a white wall and switch your spot lights on and off while swaying the bike side to side slightly and you will see that the spot lights actually project a straight horizontal line and it should sit just below the line that your main headlight projects. It does not shine upwards to cause problems with night time riding.

It may be that your lights are shining upwards slightly and then you will need to set them down to be level again.

My spot lights are on. ALWAYS

Maybe the guy just had a bad day and you were the first target he could gun at.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips i will have a look. I usually dont get any other complaints, so yeah, maybe it was just one of those people who dont like bikes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Past: Big Boy SRM 250,'12 Suzuki GSXF650, '09 Honda Fireblade, '16 Harley Davidson Iron 883

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:16:36 am »
I had a similar situation the other evening. Eventually we stopped at a traffic light and I managed to stop just in front of him on the side. He was swearing and carrying on at me. I then got off of my bike and appologised to him about 5 times. Im not sure why but he calmed down. Maybe because im 6ft 5 or maybe because i had appologised. I then said to him, now that you have calmed down please tell me what I had done to piss him off. He said it was because I was riding between the cars. I told him it was perfectly legal to do so in SA, and finished off saying he must drive carefully and have a nice evening.

I drive with mine on all the time and have never even had someone flash me so it cant be a problem. If you have a later GS LC check that your headlight is not set high.

I think some people have bad days and loose their shit over stupid stuff and a biker is usually an easy target as he appears a lot smaller than someone in a car.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Online zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:25:09 am »
JABO gives you good advice - check your spots AND headlight against a wall, lots of set-up tips on the web to help you...

it can be useful to tip our spots down by say 5-degrees to prevent blinding not so much oncoming traffic, but rather dazzling a car you are coming up behind, especially if you have 'potent' spots...

Another tip is to slightly angle the LEFT spot slightly left (slightly!) to better pick up dogs/cows/pedestrians about to walk into the road in very dark areas.

Cheers
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline GregOnGS

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 08:25:41 am »
I also noticed how I was pissing people off with my spots. All you need to do is set them so they point just below the horizontal plain, they still shine far enough ahead to light up the road surface without blinding everyone.
Profile for Trackinfind[/url]

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Ask for forgiveness, not permission
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:53:21 am »

You say it yourself - the light would be irritating.  My view is that it's your responsibility to aim them correctly otherwise switch off.

Universal rule: -   You cannot expect respect from drivers if you don't give them the same.

R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:25:36 am »
I dont think for the short time I was behind him, that it would be THAT irritating to get under your skin enough to run you off the road, additionally on a road thats under construction and inherently dangerous. I figured cagers would have enough sense to think we need the lights to see the stones etc littered on the ground at that location.

As said before, I have never had issues with anyone before. This is of course ASSUMING it was the spotlights that caused the road rage, and I assumed it was because he put his headlights on bright behind me.

I ride everyday, I generally give cars priority because Im easily recognisable and the last thing I want is my identity smeared across facebook or the like  :ricky:

Offline Brucet

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:36:34 am »

You say it yourself - the light would be irritating.  My view is that it's your responsibility to aim them correctly otherwise switch off.

Universal rule: -   You cannot expect respect from drivers if you don't give them the same.

This is a good point.
Mine do shine downwards. Maybe your lights shine too high?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:40:41 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Miracle_Salad

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:43:30 am »

This is a good point.
Mine do shine downwards. Maybe your lights shine too high?

Possibly - will have another squiz when I get home :)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:11:04 pm »
Sounds like the driver rather than anything else! I have 3000 lumen spots that are really bright and don't have problems. They can dim to 30% and I would do this whenever I deem it necessary - especially at night.
If someone goes for you, just get out of his way as soon as you can (accelerate, decelerate, blend into traffic) to avoid conflict and stay safe.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Online Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »
Have someone drive/ride behind you for 10 seconds with highbeams.spots in your mirrors.
Then decide if its acceptable.

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:51:06 pm »
I always ride with small spots switched on.

And I always, except when needed, ride with my main beam brights off.

When in the car, I find it mostly irritating when I bike approaches with brights on.
Dims are more than good enough for visibility.

nevertheless, the road rage aimed at you is never acceptable.
You attempted murderer should contemplate his doings, as he will sure find himself in a hot place some time or the other.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:55:44 pm »
Ive never understood why some guys on bikes ride with their brights on. Doesn't make sense.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline TheBear

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:02 pm »
Just turn them off when behind another vehicle.  How would you like if some dude in a car sat behind you with his posts on?

.#BRADICAL!