Riding with Spotlights at night?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miracle_Salad

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So this seems to be a bit of a contentious topic, with some for and some against riding at night with LED spotlights.

Now personally I ride with them on as they help me see better and they make me visible. The catch is that perhaps if I get stuck behind a car, the light would become irritating.

On the N1 coming from Brackenfell side, past jip de jager etc MANY of the road lights do not work AND there is currently road construction along the highway. Currently the roads have been scraped so badly so that you wobble all over the place on them and there are stones and stuff flying from cars and even kicked up by the bike that you feel hit your boots..

I keep the lights on while riding here for safety and so that the people in cars can see me as the road lights do not work. I dont sit behind cars or anything at most I am in your mirrors for under 10 seconds before I pass.

I had someone in a White Van tonight move out the far most right lane as he was travelling slower, but then immediately jump back into the right lane, speed up to tailgate me and switch on his brights..He then sat there for around 5 minutes until I changed lanes as it was getting really wobbly due to the road works and I was uncomfortable that he was so close to me, he then changed to my lane and did the same thing. So I went back to the right lane...

He then tried to match my speed and belted out something,I couldnt hear him as I had earplugs in and so continued to look ahead, he then swerved the van at me to try hit me and then casually switched lanes to the far left and took the nearest off ramp. A total WTF situation, I dont see why I need to have my life threatened because I was in his rear mirror for +-5 seconds before passing him and I had spotlights on?? Like an I in the total wrong here? Is he justified for doing it?

I feel like I had my own safety in mind due to the conditions and that this was so uncalled for!  :mad:

What are the general opinions with spotlights at night for you folks?