Choices...piggy or mule???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piggy OR Replacement Donkie?

• Piggy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkie 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I am facing the conundrum of getting a replacement steed…I am struggling with the decision and the pro’s and the con’s of the various bikes.

I really loved the fact that the donkey was capable of going anywhere… bar big rocks where the sheer weight of the donkey will make her difficult to lead across the obstacles. And flying… they don’t like the lack of gravity. Of course there are other limitations but I never had the chance of taking her there…

She was never a fast runner and thus my feeling that maybe a 1100 or a 1150 would be better suited… There is another thing to consider, I can get a 1150 adv for around 75k… 2k more than a Dakar out the box. But another Dakar means another session of chain maintenance… something I think is better suited to be done for me.. than by me.
With a R11xxGS there is no chain.. making it hassle free. Another comparison to be taken into consideration is the difference in price for the rubber. The donkey.. may she rest in peace (or pieces more likely) was happily shod with R400 rear dunlops with very little loss of traction on the dry tar and lots gained on the dirt. The piggy’ will less likely be happy wearing mr price “takkies”… where they usually are more used to Armani… or Gucci (T66…Anakees etc..) with the increased gallop speed of the piggies.. I personally will also not feel very safe on the inferior rubber.

So… cheaper rubber on the Dakar.. with chain maintenance… versus no chain on the piggy but more expensive sneakers…

My question to the existing bacon lovers…what is the maintenance on the piggies like… my last service for the donkie set me back over a grand because of brake pads..
And the piggies have a bigger thirst to quench, the Dakar on average in the 10months that I had her, gave me a great 23km/l… will this be achievable on a piggie? (and I am not talking about riding at the speed limit every chance I get.)

So members of this esteemed internet fraternity…give me your thoughts…

All submissions in the general way of “get a KTM” will be abruptly ignored.. I will go green before I go orange…

Yours truly,

Grootseun