Roadworthy for an almost roadworthy XR650R *Names and places have been changed*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefalk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Sometimes there needs to be a bit of give and take in a world full of solid black and white lines! And today the Universe smiled on me when I took my BRP to get a roadworthy.

I had been a bit nervous about sorting the transfer of ownership, because the roadworthy was looking intimidating.
The bike looks good, runs really well and is in most senses of the word roadworthy.

Strictly speaking I was anticipating problems with;
Tyres- Mitas C02, well worn but still decent knobbly and Maxxis Knobbly upfront
Uncorked exhaust- sounds brilliant and makes me smile (except inside the roadworthy testing station)
Lack of a hooter. ( i cable tied an airhorn to the hand guard, to remedy)
Lost Numberplate- (a GP plate nogal, no mean feat to get one made in Cape Town, and the grudge cost of printing it then tossing it the next day, when I re-register)

I'm so glad that the fella who conducted the test at @%$£^%£%^^%&$%^$£@@% , managed to look past the issues he found. He is an ex-biker, who enjoyed shooting the breeze about biking and all the bikes he had owned in the past.

He found the following.........
1) Lack of a chain guard---- he eventually figured that the chain roller, could be seen as a kind of chain guard.
2)Odometer Reading---- I've got a very sketchy Vaportech, which did not light up, after the bike had been in the rain for an hour or two on the back of the bakkie. He let it slide, and I gave him a reading off the top of my head.

An Xr650r is kind of on the fringe of roadworthy at the best of times, with the funny little headlight, funky tail light etc etc.
So when it passed I breathed a huge sigh of relief!

****Names and places have been changed! Any similarities to real people or places, are purely co-incidental ;D